TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: How do you create your designs?
I just sit at the torch and go 45 49.45%
I select some colors and work from there 44 48.35%
I have a picture or idea in my mind that I try and replicate 29 31.87%
I work from photographs 5 5.49%
I work from sketches 14 15.38%
I try and imitate others, then expand on them 7 7.69%
I don't really design new stuff, I just evolve slowly 8 8.79%
I have a specific style or technique that I want to learn 16 17.58%
I have a finished piece of jewelry in mind that I create for 13 14.29%
I do something entirely different, and I'll tell you all about it in my post! 4 4.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-17, 12:44pm
geekitude on two wheels

Default What do *you* do to create?

I'm curious to know how people develop their ideas! What do you do when you are creating? For me, I use a bunch of different ways - sometimes I just sit and go, or I have a photo in mind or a new color I want to work in, but the thing I do the most is draw stuff out in my sketch book and then work from those ideas to develop something in the torch. How about you?
Old 2007-10-17, 12:48pm
thinking4myself

Check out library books, google ideas, surf from idea to idea until something inspires me, sometimes sketch an idea. . .
Old 2007-10-17, 12:57pm
First bead: 2007-04-28

If I see something I like, being in a book, poster or a thread here on LE I try to make it.. and the adjust it for my taste/technical skills.
Ann
Old 2007-10-17, 12:57pm
I love color!

I do a bunch of those items listed! Quite often I just love to play with color. Others are for a specific piece of jewelry. I have a terrible habit of buying a new blouse and having to make matching jewelry right away.
Old 2007-10-17, 1:20pm

Me, too. Depends on the day.
Old 2007-10-17, 3:24pm

Hmmm, make jewelry to go with a blouse? You mean you're not supposed to go out and buy new clothes for the necklace and earrings you just made? Interesting concept.

mini cc, tanked O2, propane and a diet coke
Old 2007-10-17, 3:38pm
Glass-aholic

I pull pics and pages out of mom's fasion magizines and home and garden, I put them in a book and flip through it. I also "doodle" at work (come on what else is on my mind...beads, pretty beads!!!) my co workers think I'm crazy... I come home and post them front and center! The only problem??? My doodles are better than my real beads!! maybe I should draw beads on beads!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2007-10-17, 6:48pm

I use a lot of different approaches but my favorite is to be inspired by colors and form I see in landscapes when I travel around in Montana. Sit down and go is my usual, though!

Old 2007-10-17, 8:33pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

I crank the tunes,turn on the glory hole tune everything else out and go for it.Thats when my best pieces come out.Even my helper wont talk to me when I am in this groove he knows what I need when I need it.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2007-10-17, 9:43pm
Design Diva

Different methods. At times I wake up with a design and I sketch it out. Or I have an idea right before I go to sleep and I sketch it. My husband finally convinced me to keep a book and pencil on the bedside table after he caught me in the jewelry room at 3am. When I have an idea I usually want to see if it works right at that moment and everything has to stop. LOL Not always a good thing. Alot of the time, I get new lampwork beads and carry them with me for days, looking at them, holding them, and thinking how they would look best in a piece. I even keep them next to my mouse pad on my desk.

Anyone else this weird??

Ecstatic Elizabeth
Old 2007-10-18, 2:03am
Love 2 Sculpt Kritters

It depends on my mood and its purpose. If it's a bead challenge/exchange, then I consider the theme, I google search for inspiration. As for developing a prototype for a particular design (most of the time it's sculptural for me), it comes from within, I usually just go for it, light the torch and pick up the glass that attracts to me at that moment.... then I analyze it, do some sketches afterwards on how to improve the design and will torch again.

Ecstatic E its not that weird and you are not alone about carrying lampwork bead. I know an artist who does that too. As for waking up early hours of the morning or staying up all night to do flamework and jewellery... been there done it too lol.

Old 2007-10-18, 6:07am
Beadaholic and lovin it!!

I usually look for interesting color combinations from mags, newspapers, nature etc...Sometimes I look at others work to see how the colors work together and expand on that. Sometimes an idea will pop into my head and off I go to the torch. It dosn't realy matter to me as long as I fulfill my need to make beads!!!!

BOREDOM IS A MATTER OF CHOICE NOT CIRCUMSTANCE

Old 2007-10-18, 8:14am
The Crazy One

I listen to the voices in my head! I must admit it does piss me off though when they constantly change their minds about color. I have been known to attack the glass at that point...
Old 2007-10-18, 8:20am
Trying to Hope!

I turn up the cheezy 80's electrionic music fondle my glass drool a little then grab the colors that speak to me and jump right in

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-10-18, 12:26pm
Glass my new Obsession

I just wing it LOL.Sometimes I like the results other times they get swirled into a freeform bead

Old 2007-10-18, 8:57pm
Noobie

Ive been printing out some of the tutorials and pinning them up to follow as I work on the design.
Old 2007-10-18, 8:59pm
Eugene, Oregon

I usually sketch out something when I'm on a confrence call at work and can't wait to get home and play with hot glass. If I do draw a blank at the torch I look a the class beads that I have at my bench and think how can I change that to be me, my thoughts... and I start to play. Looking at all the different class beads are like inviting my heros in to my studio. My favorite class beads are from a class I took with Corina, what a wonderful teacher and spirt. My fovorite boro is Lori Copeland. I suggest that you string all the beads that you make from any class into one string and hang them on your bench. Keep them together!! I think a picture ( the actual beads ) are worth a million words. If the teacher has a focus on complicated stringers, well save a selection of them too. I think we as a collective are very visual people... what ya think?

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2007-10-23, 8:12pm

I usually have to have something planned out based on something I've seen or have a sketch of what I'd want to make.
Sometimes I do just sit down, pick a few random colors and go, but most of the time that just results in me wasting glass cuz I couldn't think of anything creative enough and it was all just kind of a failure leading to discouragement, boredom, then going off to do something else.

I make sure I plan out what I wanna do beforehand, and go with any 'Ooh, I wanna do that' moments as they come.

But I think 80% of my beads are just completely screwing one up, adding some splotches of color here and there and keeping it. Only wish I could duplicate them....

Old 2007-10-24, 11:10am
ManBearPig

I used to just sit down with just a rough idea in mind. Something like "I'm going to make a marble" or something. Or maybe just using particular colors or something. But I found I was making a lot of stuff I wasn't really happy with, or things that were just no good when I did it that way.

These days I plan out what I'm making. I don't have it set in stone, though. If I need to change it I will, but I try to stick to the general idea. I make a lot of the same type of thing, so I picture it in my head and go from there.

Old 2007-11-01, 1:45pm

There was no choice for all of the above. At sometime or another I have used and will use every technique on the list. I really depends on what I am trying to do. Right now I am working from sketches and trying to come up with some new work. If I am doing production work, or series that I am familiar with, then I just crank the tunes and go.

Brad Pearson

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2007-11-02, 1:40pm
Forms in Glass

What Brad said... I like to procrastinate a lot...

My Etsy

Old 2007-11-02, 9:49pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

as a furnace glass blower I tend not to think about it to much,I go into the studio crank the tunes for the mood i am in light everything and just go for it.

Mike

Old 2007-11-02, 9:50pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
I listen to the voices in my head! I must admit it does piss me off though when they constantly change their minds about color. I have been known to attack the glass at that point...
And its true I have seen this in person.

Mike

Old 2007-11-04, 12:57am
He can do the origami

LOL Mike I was going to post something similar about Loco saying I bet people don't believe her but it is true.....and man she is amazing!