Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

View Poll Results: What is your experience with ZAPP?
I have used ZAPP successfully. 31 32.29%
I have used ZAPP unsuccessfully. 8 8.33%
I don't apply to shows that use ZAPP. 4 4.17%
What the heck is ZAPP? 53 55.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-12-03, 5:15pm

Default Zapplication anyone?

Hi,

I have been successful in getting into some nice juried shows that use regular slides, but not at all with those that use ZAPP. (zapplication.org)

Has anybody else used Zapp either successfully or unsuccessfully?

Thanks!

Eric

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-03, 5:31pm

Eric, if you haven't seen it yet, Larry Berman http://www.BermanGraphics.com has a lot of resources for artists preparing their images for the ZAPP and other digital jury systems. He was one of the early converters to digital jurying and has been doing art shows for many years. He also has a slide conversion service as well as consulting and seminars on the subject, but the free info on his site is a great start.

Cheers,
Paul

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-12-03, 6:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
Eric, if you haven't seen it yet, Larry Berman http://www.BermanGraphics.com has a lot of resources for artists preparing their images for the ZAPP and other digital jury systems. He was one of the early converters to digital jurying and has been doing art shows for many years. He also has a slide conversion service as well as consulting and seminars on the subject, but the free info on his site is a great start.

Cheers,
Paul
LOL He is the one who photographed my stuff and set up my account on ZAPP. His pics are really good.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-03, 7:41pm

I absolutely hate Zapp! I applied to a number of shows last season and didn't get into any of them. One of the things that Zapp has done is made applying easier; however, in doing so the amount of applications to shows have multiplied tremendously. The groups who sponsor the shows are making out like bandits. I did the math for the Kansas City Show after being 'uninvited' and discovered that the Kansas City Guild made nearly $100,000.00 in application fees alone. Pretty ridiculous.

I think that all the shows should lower their application fees becuase of Zapp, but that's just my opinion.

Bead Gallery
Old 2007-12-03, 8:15pm

Yeah, that seems to be a fairly widely held opinion too. There are many people complaining that people are now shooting off dozens of applications to shows that they would never have before which is causing lots of people to miss out on the initial rounds of jurying, but it is being more common to be accepted of the wait list because a lot of these extra people decide they really didn't or couldn't do the shows they applied to. I think it is rather ridiculous to have a $50 to $75 jury fee when it is almost all automated now and little if anything is passed on to the actual jury members. It just goes to line the show promoters pockets.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-12-05, 4:23am
Furball

Haven't had luck with Zapp yet, but will still keep trying.
Old 2007-12-07, 6:54pm

I would love to have a PM from anyone who has successfully used ZAPP to get into a show. Maybe the shows I am applying to are too big or something, or maybe it is just because they are Texas shows? Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Eric

Old 2007-12-12, 8:36pm
bringin' basic back

I applied to 2 shows through zap last year-got in to one and it was the best show I've ever done ($ wise).

This month I've been rejected 2x.

I do know people who apply to every show within a 5 hr drive.
feh.

...the sparks are gonna fly...
Old 2007-12-13, 8:30am

Well, I applied to five and finally got into 1. So right now I am 1 for 5. However, I think part of the problem is that I have been shooting for the fine arts shows, when I should be going for the fine craft shows. Though sometimes it can be difficult to determine which category a show falls in.

Old 2007-12-31, 8:18pm

bumpitybump.

Old 2008-01-02, 2:46pm

I only apply for the local show and one in Idaho. I was wait listed, but ended up doing both of our local shows.

I hate Zapp - I just don't trust that the jurors see the same thing that I do. Oh for the good old days of slides...
Old 2008-01-19, 10:50am
bringin' basic back

I just got accepted to 2 Sugarloaf shows through zapp.
We used to go to Sugarloaf shows when I was in high school & college so I'm thrilled to finally do one. Actually I'll be doing 2 in one month.
Yikes!!

Eric, this comment is just based on your website, I don't know what your slides are, but I've found that it's really hard to get in to shows with just pendants. Most are looking for "complete" pieces, like a bracelet composed of all lampwork & your own silver work.

...the sparks are gonna fly...

Last edited by Loriola; 2008-01-19 at 10:53am.
Old 2008-01-19, 12:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriola View Post
I just got accepted to 2 Sugarloaf shows through zapp.
We used to go to Sugarloaf shows when I was in high school & college so I'm thrilled to finally do one. Actually I'll be doing 2 in one month.
Yikes!!

Eric, this comment is just based on your website, I don't know what your slides are, but I've found that it's really hard to get in to shows with just pendants. Most are looking for "complete" pieces, like a bracelet composed of all lampwork & your own silver work.
Thanks for the feedback. My Jury shots are three spheres, and two geode style pendants, but I may make up some special necklaces for next year. Also, I was told that the shows that I applied to here in Texas are notoriously hard to get into since there are really very few good quality art shows here when compared with the population of the state. Here is reduced size shot of one of jury slides.
Attached Images

Old 2008-01-24, 4:59am

Default hello

sorry guys.. i am probably on the wrong thread.. but I am looking for some exhibitions, fairs, or events in italy...
Old 2008-09-24, 11:41am
make beads not war

Got into my first show using ZAPP. I'm 1-3 now.
Old 2008-10-03, 10:06am
Member of the Booger7

I've only applied to two shows using ZAPP and I got denied entry to both of them! It was pretty upsetting at first, since those are the first two shows that I haven't been accepted to, but I'll try again. So I'm 0-2.

Dianna -

Old 2008-10-05, 7:24pm
Pyromaniac

That is a gorgeous sphere Eric, and the photography is great too. Good luck with Zapplication; I signed up several months ago, but have not applied yet.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-10-26, 9:50pm
MacGalver

I've used Zapplication successfully, it seems to me to be about the same as applying via mail, since most of the shows I do want digital images these days anyway....

Jo

Old 2009-04-05, 8:37pm

I use Zapplications. Quite honestly I find it to be a royal pain in the ass. Having to change the size of the images to be completely square is just too much work. As for fine art shows. I do a number of them a year. It's a tricky situation with them. Some will consider blown glass and lampwork fine art and some won't. There just doesn't seem to be an industry standard for the medium.

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2009-04-18, 4:13am

I've been doing shows for 12 yrs. Believe me I could go on a major rant with my experiences with show directors. First and formost the fact that you pay for a score but few shows tell you what that score was. I'd like to know mine so I can see if I'm close to the wait list. It's not out of the relm of possibilities that you could still get a call to do a show if you live close enough to get there on short notice. Right now I'm dealing with a show run by high school art teachers. THey are the most unprofessional. emails go unanswered, phone calls go unanswered. I was told it is "policy" not to give out scores as this info would be meaningless to me. What they meant was it was meaningless to them! I'm did'nt get into their show so now I'm meaningless?? I work for Fedex. Customer service is number one important to service your customer. WHen shows accept a app fee we become their customer. THis is something they fail to understand. I could'nt believe that a jury score is so top secret that a show would make it a policy to not give out a score. THis lack of transparency is disrespectful of artists. The folks that run a show just don't want to do the job they signed up for.
As for zap...win a few lose a few. I think if you enter a show that has the jewelry catagory broken down into metal and nonmetal you have a better chance of getting in with lampwork. After all, it's hard to compete against the pecious metals. If you look at the Madison art round the square web site, they show the artist work that were juryed into their show last yr. It's all metal but for one lucky individual who happened to get in. Good luck in all your fair endevors, it's a rough road out there! Barbara Hollosy
Old 2009-04-18, 4:23am

Just a note, you may be better off applying in the glass catagory and just sell beads not jewelry. I sell way more beads than jewelry anyway. BK
Old 2009-11-18, 2:12am
picking Job's Tears

I had never heard of it. Maybe it's a mainland thing?

Here all the juried exhibitions you have to be there at a certain time. So far it's been a "I don't get up that early on Saturdays" for me (I work full time and sleep in on Saturdays).
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-12-06, 11:53pm
Addicted to Melting Glass

I used Zapp for two of my big shows this year, and it went fine. Preparing the images wasn't a horrible chore. What I'm trying to figure out is how they're a .org and not a .com.

Old 2010-01-22, 1:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Lakinsmith View Post
What I'm trying to figure out is how they're a .org and not a .com.
Anybody can be a .org, you just have to purchase the domain name.

|
Old 2010-01-25, 6:36am

I haven't tried this yet, but I am looking for other shows this year. I will give it a try.

R-118
Old 2010-02-27, 6:16am
Larissa Spafford Designs

I've used zapp successfully and really like it. I've also been rejected through zapp too. I don't think it really has anything to do with zapp, its more about the show, who is jurying and my images, and the competition.

I do a lot of shows, and apply to some extras because there is no guarentee of getting into a show, even if you've done it before. I've learned that from experience! I really like the ease of applying with zapp and JAS. Applying to show and planning, and making the deadline takes soooooooo much time. I'm all for anything to make my life easier.

I'm pretty sure zapp makes it easier for show organizers too. I think all an artist can do is make the best work possible, have the best photos you can afford taken, and apply for shows where you think your work will fit in. It also helps to pick images that show your consistant style.

Another resourse that helps me learn more in depth about show is the Art Fair Sourcebook. It ranks the shows and is full of usefull info.

Hope this is helpful in some way.

Larissa

Old 2010-04-06, 2:02am
She's Back & Burnin'

I've never used Zapp but might try it when I get back into doing shows.

I prefer the juried fine arts shows. My jewelry doesn't win the big prize money awards but it does sell and that's the bottom line for me. I have also got some nice custom work out of the deal as well.

Sara

Old 2010-04-06, 5:17am
Glass Wrangler

Eric, I've gotten into shows with Zapp. One thing that I've done with my work (larger glass sculptures) is to try to look through the larger show's artist lists. Some shows post the artists that are accepted and a shot of their work. I've looked very carefully over these and adjusted my photographs to match.

One thing that I see with your photo is while it looks good on the white background on your webpage - it really pops!- it might be too stark and too high contrast for the jurors. They're used to seeing items on a graduated background. This grounds the piece instead of floating the image. I used to shoot my work on black. It really popped my work in my opinion - but not in the juror's, they said it floated and couldn't figure out what they were. So I shot all my future work on a graduated background. If you want, I'll be glad to look over your pieces and give you a few of my thoughts. I've been doing shows full time for 28 years and might have an idea or two for you.

Old 2011-08-31, 5:30am

I've been wait-listed for two shows on Zapp ... I feel that jewelry makers are at a disadvantage because there are so many, and if a show promoter is worth his salt, he's limiting how many jewelry people he has.

I know it's also the photos, which I take myself and aren't half bad, but the graded background is a great idea ... I have one, just tend to use the white or black end, not the middle.

Thanks for this informative thread. If you want more information about shows, vendors opinions & experience, and promoters views, try joining the National Association of Independent Artists. Their forum is members only, but the information I've obtained there has been very valuable.

http://www.naia-artists.org/

Nolly