LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-11-16, 10:52pm

Default Shocky Glass

For those of you in a garage or unheated studio, what do you do to "preheat" your glass rods? Since the temp has dropped, I'm spending half my time warming the glass!! And I burned a hole in my Sponge Bob shirt!!

Can I put it in something heated like a crock pot? What do you do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-16, 10:57pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Try pre-heating the rod(s) in a pure fuel flame. That's about 850 degrees F or so, which is around the strain point for soft glass. That should allow you to get the glass to the point that it won't blow apart when you introduce the O2. You'll get some carbon deposit, but that will burn off once you add the oxy.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-11-16, 11:06pm

Thanks, Tink. That'll be great when I get my new, big-girl torch. Until Santa arrives, it's still the ol' HH for me, but I'll make a note of this one, for sure. (I wondered how some of the YouTube videos I've seen didn't have glass popping all over the place!!)

Old 2007-11-16, 11:07pm

BTW, Tink, it's the same time in OH as it is in SC. Do you EVER sleep??? Feeling any better?

Old 2007-11-16, 11:08pm

I heat mine on top of the kiln...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-11-16, 11:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
I heat mine on top of the kiln...
Duh! And I've got that nice, long Paragon, just sitting there . . .

Old 2007-11-16, 11:21pm
Wendy

I'm in the garage with the HH as well. I've started turning on my chili pepper a little earlier with a longer hold time and that's helped some. What I wouldn't give for some heated studio space.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2007-11-17, 4:42am
I poop flowers.

I have the same problem, but no kiln as of yet. While going through some stuff in the garage recently that we were going to throw out, I came across a small waxing machine, the kind salons use to heat hot wax in. I think there`s supposed to be a pot that goes with it? But it doesn`t have it. It is a box with a metal hole about 5" in diameter, and I`d guess about 3 or 4" deep. Not big enough to hole full size rods, but I`m going to try and look for something metal to put inside it to hold them. I could use it as is for shorts, though.

I`m thinking a metal cup, such as the ones you see on milkshake machines, but where to find something like that I don`t know. I`m curious to see how hot it gets also. Haven`t plugged it in yet, but DH says it works.

Velvet

"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." ---Charles Dickens
Old 2007-11-17, 5:38am
Macaw Mamma

I have a crock pot and I just pick out the rods I plan to use that session and put them in a very thick glass jar inside the crock pot and then turn it on high, that warms them up pretty quickly if they start to get too hot, I turn the crock pot down to low and they are usually not to hot to handle (when I didn't put the old jar in the crock pot they did get pretty hot....

then if I don't have my kiln on... I have another crock pot full of vermiculite and I turn that on high and throw the finished glass in there until I turn the kiln on to anneal

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken

Last edited by dpglassworks; 2007-11-17 at 5:40am.
Old 2007-11-17, 7:37am
Dangerous Woman

Kahlamode your avatar really creeps me out.

Anyhow, I got a small George Forman grill at a yard sale for 5 bucks. It has grooves in it so the rods don't roll around and works as a rod warmer just fine. I wonder if George ever thought they would be used as a glass warmer.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-11-19, 5:51pm

Dang. Lost my own thread there for awhile! Love the grill idea!! You guys are really clever. Tried putting them on top of the kiln, then had to make sure I took them off far enough before I wanted to use them. Those suckers got HOT! So maybe I'll try the crock pot, or look for my own Geo F. grill. Just don't tell George. He's such an entraprenur (sp) that he'll start marketing it as a glass warmer, too!

Thanks for all your input.