LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-02, 8:02pm

Default White Bronze as an alternative to silver?

xx

Last edited by nancewbl; 2014-08-24 at 2:40pm.
Old 2011-04-03, 10:11am
Glass-aholic

what is white bronze?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-04-03, 10:22am
Formerly FishBulb

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-white-bronze.htm

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-04-03, 7:22pm
Glass-aholic

That is cool.... I imagine it would work if you could find it in leaf or foil, or wire form. It would likely have some kind of reaction, either bubbles, or color change or whatnot, based on the fact that there is copper, and zinc and tin in it. Copper has a tendency to change color when encased, or blacken when not encased, and zinc will bubble, like in brass shavings. I would love to see experiments with it! It sounds like it could be a really neat inclusion!!

O love this discussion question about it~
Quote:
question: i want to purchase a white bronze sink - what cleaning products should i avoid? someone said a window cleaning product turned this sink purple. dhxz
I wonder if it would have purple reactions in beads with different glass colors! THAT could be exciting!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-03 at 7:25pm.
Old 2011-04-03, 8:10pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Would be cool for lining pandora beads. Wonder if you can find it in tubing?

Old 2011-04-04, 3:30am
sunscreen me baby

Interesting! I wonder why it's isn't out there in wire, sheet and findings yet?

~

Old 2011-04-04, 5:16am

It appears to be a metal clay. It's quite pretty! Here is some info:

http://artinsilver.com/blog/2010/03/...-white-bronze/
Old 2011-04-04, 5:24am

White bronze is just another bronze alloy. It is not safe for using in lampwork because of the zinc content. (well with the right respirator) Also its melting point is very high. It is currently available in metal clays and I have been working with a foundry getting some of my work cast in white bronze. It is not as bright as silver but is an almost buttery silvery color.
Old 2011-04-04, 7:03am
Nikki Haverstock

Oh I want it in wire and sheet form. For making jewelry not for use in hot beads.

Last edited by Polgarra; 2011-04-04 at 7:21am.
Old 2011-04-04, 7:19am

Be sure your ventilation is absolutely top notch - and wear the right respirator as CCriag notes. Zinc fumes can be very problematic, as can copper and tin fumes.

Linda
Old 2011-04-04, 7:40am
uncouthful cats

Sounds like it would also be cool for wiring jewelry. I wonder how quickly it oxidizes, or if that's a problem at all? A buttery silver color? Yum.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2011-04-04, 8:09am
burnin' glass just becuz

we may not need to... last i checked there is a sterling silver version of metal clay being developed now (check Hadar Jacobson's blog). I'm looking forwad to trying it once the appropriate kiln cycle is finalized

i'm allergic to copper (and apparently most base metals other than stainless steel) so i stick to sterling/fine silver or gold...

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2011-04-04, 6:25pm
sunscreen me baby

I wasn't going to put it in my beads either. I was thinking findings, sheet and wire.

~

Old 2011-04-04, 7:22pm

Hasn't the sterling been around for a while?

Old 2011-04-04, 7:37pm

This would be a great if they would cast it in tubing.
Old 2011-04-04, 10:32pm

I'm a silver person .. .through and through. But I could accept some white bronze findings that weren't likely to be next to the skin and that I use without any additional added value. Some bails and such would be fine with me. I'm using some bronze bails for their warm colors so I'm thinking this should work for pendants etc.

Sadie

Old 2011-04-06, 2:54am

I bought some pretty white bronze beadcaps at a show last year. They look just like sterling but I did oxidized them!!

Visit me here: