Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-03-30, 7:27pm
Unmedicated since '62

Default glass question - vetrefond jupiter

anybody know how to use this glass - i was given some.

it makes a nice woody colour but i cant figure out what the white core is for cos it just gets covered up - the girl that gave it to me said i could use it like murrini but i'm sure thats not how you're meant to use it

oh, and when i look up the paddle sample it looks nothing like it.

i used it as the main body for this guy
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2009-03-30 at 7:35pm.
Old 2009-03-30, 10:36pm

Hey Deb, I find most of the vetrofond odd lots tend to be like that...only look like the paddle probably if you do a paddle. They also generally tend to be very shocky. The best way to see what the colour will be like before you make a bead you want to use is to make a small bead and see what colour you get...I was disappointed too. You can however use them like murrini...I have done that with Terra with some nice results.
Susan

Old 2009-03-30, 11:12pm
Unmedicated since '62

dont get me wrong - i like the colour, its just not like the sample so i figured i must be doing something wrong.

i played with dark silver plum for a week before i found out its supposed to look metallic

Old 2009-03-31, 5:37am
Life is change. Love it

What you got is what you'll get with this glass, some nice shadings of rust, copper, amber etc

Old 2009-03-31, 6:06am

I ordered some jupiter about a year ago. I get a different result than what you did. All I can get out of it is orange with a ring of green. But my rod doesn't look like you described, no white core. My rods are a beautiful pink color.

Last edited by Mopnglo; 2009-03-31 at 6:07am. Reason: spelling & extra tag
Old 2009-03-31, 10:01am

The way I use this glass is to make my base bead (a little smaller than I want-cause you'll be able to add more, if you need) and then I "puddle" onto my base bead. What I mean by "puddle" is I heat the tip of the rod and then smash (not too hard) the melted tip on the bead (like you were making a big dot on the bead). I repeat this process until I have all these smooshy dots all over, melt in and shape. You can get a nice marbling effect.

Kathie

Kathie

Old 2009-03-31, 4:24pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopnglo View Post
I ordered some jupiter about a year ago. I get a different result than what you did. All I can get out of it is orange with a ring of green. But my rod doesn't look like you described, no white core. My rods are a beautiful pink color.

my rods are sort of brownish pink with a core almost like murrini - greyish white and star shaped

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk5336 View Post
The way I use this glass is to make my base bead (a little smaller than I want-cause you'll be able to add more, if you need) and then I "puddle" onto my base bead. What I mean by "puddle" is I heat the tip of the rod and then smash (not too hard) the melted tip on the bead (like you were making a big dot on the bead). I repeat this process until I have all these smooshy dots all over, melt in and shape. You can get a nice marbling effect.

Kathie
ah! now that might work. I made a test bead and broke it in half and all the white was like dots inside because i'd just wrapped the glass like normal

Old 2009-04-01, 10:42am
Elphaba Lives !!

If you are really wanting the same look as a paddle, then make a couple of paddles ahead of time, make a base bead, and then apply one or more of your pre-made paddles to the bead.