LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-22, 9:01pm
Finding Sanity with Glass

Default Bluebird XL, Glasshive Regular Guy, or ??

I love my AF3P kiln, but I need to get something a little bigger.....
What do you think about the Bluebird XL or the Glasshive Regular Guy? I have spent days trying to figure out the pros and cons of each one.

I'm wondering if there are gaps around the doors on the BB..... I am also wondering if I would have to lay the beads on the floor of the kiln in the BB. The gap under the doors looks huge.... does it lose heat?

What about the GH.... does the ledge on the outside of the doors get in the way? Will I have to put my beads on the floor of the kiln? I love propping them up in my current kiln since I can't stand that fluffy stuff on the floor of the kiln.

Do you have any other suggestions for a kiln?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Smiles,
Wendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" border="0" />

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-02-22, 9:12pm
Sorry for party rockin'

I have a Glasshive kiln and love it.
I've also used the Bluebird and I definitely do not like it as well as the Glasshive.
My biggest issue with the Bluebird was the door. The metal rack thingies that stick out are not only sharp as hell, but your mandrels sit on them in a way that props the door open quite a bit. I guess you could bend the metal things down, but they definitely got in the way.

On the Glasshive there's a gap at the very bottom of the door, between the door and the shelf. That gap allows your mandrels to lay flat while the ends are sticking out and do not prop the door open. The reason the door on the Bluebird stays open is because there's no gap like the one on the Glasshive kiln. The Glashive doors close completely with mandrel ends sticking out and to block that little bit of a gap I took a piece of fiber blanket, wrapped it in foil and stick it in that space. I can take a picture of it if you want me to

I keep a little kiln rack inside my kiln and my beads go on the rack at first and then I scoot them over to the kiln floor after the rack fills up. It works just fine (for me) to do it that way, but even with beads propped up on a rack, the doors still close just fine.

Old 2012-02-22, 9:38pm
Formerly FishBulb

I use the Bluebird and don't often make use of the outside rack. I have three rod holders I lined up inside the kiln and I put the beads on those, and close the doors all the way. I do use it when I'm warming up things like incredibly shocky glass, or jellyfish tentacle cane, or something like that, but then the things aren't in there for very long.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-02-22, 10:27pm

I have the Glasshive Wide Guy and wouldn't trade it for anything. Their service and customer support is amazing, and I have different racks on each side so I can put just about anything in there with the doors shut. It's pretty hard to beat.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-02-22, 10:30pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I have the GH regular guy and I use a piece of hardware cloth in the back to put my mandrels on... When they start getting filled up, I move everything over and stack the beads on top of each other. I can probably put about 80+ mandrels in there, depending on how big the beads are.

Old 2012-02-22, 11:27pm
offically down under

In addition to building a great kiln, Glass Hive have fantastic customer service. I'm a button pushing moron and Pam has been great with getting me back on track. She's patient and clear as she cracks jokes and gets you back to business.

Old 2012-02-23, 6:31am

Glass hive, all the way!

Love mine!
Old 2012-02-23, 6:44am

ONE WORD..GLASSHIVE!! Their customer service CANNOT be beaten!

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-02-23, 6:50am

I got a glasshive in December......absolutely love it. The only thing I wished the glasshive had that my paragon SC2 had is a skip segment feature.....but I would still have to recommend the Glass Hive above any other kiln.

Old 2012-02-23, 7:06am

I've got a GH Wide Guy Tall. Great kiln, highly recommended.

Robert
Old 2012-02-23, 7:14am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I really like my Glass Hive Regular Guy, though I did remove the outside ledge. I work with long mandrels, and the ledge interfered with the ends when I would have to start a second row of beads on the kiln rack.

As for the gap, I've placed a strip of really thin fiber blanket at the front of the kiln floor. Mandrels rest on it nicely.

Old 2012-02-23, 7:33am
Lampworkaholic!

In defense of the Paragon Bluebird XL, which I have and love, I unscrewed the metal rack (a definite design flaw), flipped it over and screwed it back on. Now it doesn't interfere with my mandrels. I also bolted the two doors together to make it easier to move beads down as they cool on the bead rack. I like the kiln because it is big and I sometimes make a lot of beads.

I have heard only good things about Glass Hive kilns, just haven't ever used one but in my dream studio there will be two kilns at least and I'm pretty sure Glass Hive will be one.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-02-23, 9:20pm

Thank you for your responses. I am going to need to read up on the controller on the GH kilns ... I frequently use the skip segment feature on my kiln as I set the garage time for 6 hours and then use the skip feature if I finish up before the 6 hours is up and I want to get the annealing done. I am also wondering if I can add time to the controller if I need to. thank you for your thoughts!!
Smiles,
Wendy

" border="0" />

Old 2012-02-23, 11:50pm
I'm meeeeelting

The GH kilns use a Fuji controller. You select a set point for it to hold at while making your beads and then start the annealing program whenever you want. There's no need for a skip segment feature for earlier than usual annealing. The controller is confusing at first, but GH will program it for you and once you've run the program a couple of times, it's very easy.

A big advantage of the GH over the BB, besides the customer service, is that it's a brick kiln. It's going to ramp up faster, cool down more slowly and hold the heat in better. Also, I love the shelf on the front of the kiln. I use mostly 9 inch mandrels and I need to leave enough sticking out to be have a cool end for moving the mandrels. The rack makes it possible to have the mandrels sticking out a ways without them falling out.

The only things I don't love about my GH kiln are the size of the gap at the bottom of the door and that there's no way to prop the doors open. I use a rack on one side and then move beads to the other side and it's a little bit cumbersome, because I can't hold both doors open and hold the mandrel at the same time. I end up holding open the door on the side with the rack, moving the bead to the space between the two doors, closing that door, opening the other and sliding the bead over.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2012-02-23 at 11:52pm.
Old 2012-02-24, 7:42am

Bluebird also makes a brick model - that is the XL. I went with the Bluebird so that I would not have to learn a new controller. I can program the Orton myself to do pretty much anything I want.

I bent the metal racks just a bit so that the mandrels were at more of an angle and the doors were not open so much. But I am thinking about putting a fiber edge to the doors to seal it off better.

I am sure I would love the Glass Hive kilns too, but I just can't get past the Fuji controller. It makes my head hurt.
Old 2012-02-24, 8:17am
Ancient Primate

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky gems View Post
.. I need to get something a little bigger.....Glasshive Regular Guy?
For the lampworkers (like me) with shallow pockets, GH has an open-ended 'lay away' so you can send then $$ as you are able, then whtn it is paid up they will make and ship your kiln...
Old 2012-02-24, 8:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
The GH kilns use a Fuji controller. You select a set point for it to hold at while making your beads and then start the annealing program whenever you want. There's no need for a skip segment feature for earlier than usual annealing. The controller is confusing at first, but GH will program it for you and once you've run the program a couple of times, it's very easy.

A big advantage of the GH over the BB, besides the customer service, is that it's a brick kiln. It's going to ramp up faster, cool down more slowly and hold the heat in better. Also, I love the shelf on the front of the kiln. I use mostly 9 inch mandrels and I need to leave enough sticking out to be have a cool end for moving the mandrels. The rack makes it possible to have the mandrels sticking out a ways without them falling out.

The only things I don't love about my GH kiln are the size of the gap at the bottom of the door and that there's no way to prop the doors open. I use a rack on one side and then move beads to the other side and it's a little bit cumbersome, because I can't hold both doors open and hold the mandrel at the same time. I end up holding open the door on the side with the rack, moving the bead to the space between the two doors, closing that door, opening the other and sliding the bead over.

so if you set it to hold for 8 hours while you are making beads and don't end up making beads for all of the 8 hours.......how do you start your annealing cycle when you are ready if there is no skip segment?

Old 2012-02-24, 8:24am
I'm meeeeelting

You don't set it for a hold time when you start. You just set the hold temp (and it'll use whatever temp you already had it set at, so all you really need to do is flip the power switch unless you want to change the hold temp (in which case you arrow up or down after turning the kiln on). It holds until you start the annealing program (which would have the initial soak time figured in).

I didn't realize the bluebird came in a brick version. That's good to know.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-02-24, 9:38pm

I have to say that I have only had my glass hive kiln for a little over a month and haven't really used it that much. Thank you Felicia for telling me how to use my kiln.

Now that I know how to use it, I would definitely recommend a glass hive kiln. I was really bummed that I didn't have a skip segment feature, but the way the fuji controller is on the glass hive kiln, you don't need a skip segment. The kiln automatically ramps up to temp and holds it there when you turn it on. Once you are done making your beads you run your program to hold and ramp down according to the program.

LOVE IT!!!!!!......Thanks again Felicia.

Old 2012-02-25, 5:48am

One more hearty recommendation for the Glasshive. I have the regular guy, and I love everything about it. It's the one piece of equipment I will probably never upgrade, because there's just no need.

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-02-25, 6:07am

I've had my Glass Hive short guy kiln for two yrs now and am upgrading to the Regular Guy. It's a solidly made, easy to use kiln, and I may sound like a broken record, but their customer service is wonderful.

My Ebay
Old 2012-02-25, 1:08pm
too many rods in the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
In defense of the Paragon Bluebird XL, which I have and love, I unscrewed the metal rack (a definite design flaw), flipped it over and screwed it back on. Now it doesn't interfere with my mandrels. I also bolted the two doors together to make it easier to move beads down as they cool on the bead rack. I like the kiln because it is big and I sometimes make a lot of beads.

I have heard only good things about Glass Hive kilns, just haven't ever used one but in my dream studio there will be two kilns at least and I'm pretty sure Glass Hive will be one.
Word for word what you said, Elizabeth!!! I have the same Bluebird and love it, and have done the same thing with the outside racks. Inside, I have kiln racks against the back wall, so I can do 50-60 beads in a session and they all fit nicely inside the kiln.

My next kiln will be a Glass Hive because of what I've heard of the outstanding customer service. But I do have a question - why can you not do a skip sequence on their kilns? I use that feature FREQUENTLY, so that might be a problem for me...

Old 2012-02-25, 6:26pm

you don't need the skip segment. when you switch the kiln on it automatically starts to ramp up to 925 (although you can change this to whatever you want) and it will hold that temp until you tell it to run the program.

I didn't know this until Felicia said something.

Old 2012-02-25, 6:38pm
Just Me

I have a Glasshive reguler... BUT I would say go Glasshive Wide!!! I have run my Glasshive side by side with a paragon Blubird XL... and I just have to say the Glasshive kicks BUTT!!!! The Paragon has far more heat loss, the paint smells bad, and the interrior size is very similar but the Paragon is massive huge on the outside in comparison. Also the controllers... Glasshive is WAYYYYYYY more user friendly.. AND Mike and Pam CANT be beat for customer service!!!!!!!

GLASSHIVE!!!!! Just do it!!!

Remember it's already tomorrow in Australia!
Old 2012-02-25, 7:56pm

Glasshive Regular Guy all the way! I love mine.

Old 2012-02-25, 8:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergypsy View Post

GLASSHIVE!!!!! Just do it!!!
LOL.... Think I'm going to get the wide guy...

Thank you for for your suggestions and words of wisdom...

Smiles,
Wendy

" border="0" />

Last edited by funky gems; 2012-02-25 at 8:45pm. Reason: spelling error....duh me.
Old 2012-02-26, 3:30pm
too many rods in the fire

This is awesome info - now I know for sure my second kiln will be a Glass Hive!

Old 2012-02-26, 7:50pm
Still Missing You

You will never regret going with the Glass Hive. Pam and Mike can not be beat on customer service.

Heroes don't wear capes, they they wear dog tags.
Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth.
The things you take for granted...someone else is praying for.
Old 2012-03-10, 5:50am
Covergirlbeads

Glass Hive all the way! They have excellent customer service! My Glass Hive broke and I called them. They were on a tour across the country and took all the parts on the road with them. They simply packaged my part and put it in the mail to with instructions when they got to their next desitnation. I was up and running in no time.

They also back their kilns with a 3 year warranty! Can't beat that one!

And they have a payment plan last I heard. You just pick the kiln you want and start paying what you can when you can. When it is paid for they will build it for you. How's that for the service!

And you can do fusing and PMC in it too. I haven't tried it due to lack of time to make my lampwork beads but it is good to know.

I put about a 1/2 inch strip of fiber blanket along the front inside of my kiln behind the door. I use it to keep the beads up off the floor and to keep the heat in. I tried the stacking thing and had a few beads stick together. Maybe because some were wrapped in silver. It's been so long ago I don't remember. I also like using the 12 inch mandrels with them. It lets me quickly put the mandrels in without having to use a pair of pliers. I've also used 14 and 16 inch mandrels I cut myself. I like those too but the ends sticking out get in the way sometimes.

Go with the WIDE GUY first. You'd be surprised at how quick you can fill it up when you get in the mode. You can also make a few more payments and get the double door if you do the fusing and pmc thing. It may be easier to stack them in the kiln. I don't know, but that is just my thought on it.

Wide guy, I've got my eye on you!

Old 2012-03-10, 7:59am

I have just one word to say: Glasshive!

Erik