LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-01-21, 8:05am

Default Help with adding cubic zirconia to beads.

2 out of 3 fractured right at the stone. Any tips on what I did wrong? My bead was hot the whole time and immediately put in the kiln for annealing. I tried to upload a picture but size is too large and I don't know how to make it smaller. Thanks for any tips.
Old 2015-01-21, 2:17pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

The grade of the CZ matters, I think I've read you shouldn't go lower than AAA, though I routinely use AA with very small CZs. What size were you using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-01-22, 10:23am

I have the best success when I add lots of insurance heat to the bead after I add the CZ, especially to the area around the CZ. Don't heat until soft. When I put my CZ beads into the kiln right away without the extra heat, they always crack right around the CZ.

HTH,
Helene
Old 2015-01-22, 7:53pm

I used 2 mm and 2.5 mm grade AAA and in each bead 1 out of 3 CZ's had fractures around it. Thanks for the tips, I will try giving extra heat before putting it in the kiln.
Old 2015-01-22, 8:49pm
Catnip Pusher

I never use anything over 2mm. The larger ones always crack for me.

Aimee
Old 2015-01-23, 7:43am

I have used 2mm and 2.5mm CZ's successfully with the insurance heat method, but only one CZ per bead. I usually use one CZ on one side of a 1" lentil. I have not had good success with multiple CZ's that large in one bead.
Old 2015-01-23, 4:06pm
addicted to dichro

Is it possible that either the encasing is too thin on top of the CZ or that you applied them directly over silver foil or silver laden glass?

Last edited by mandyjw; 2015-01-23 at 4:08pm.
Old 2015-01-23, 8:53pm

Is it possible you aren't using the "cast in place" CZs? I am not familiar with what Aa or AAA indicates, so I'm sorry if it means they are castable. But if that just addresses quality, as it does in other stones, it could be you are using CZs that can't be cast. I know Rio Grande sells "cast in place" CZs, although I have never tried them bigger than 2.5mm size. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2015-01-23, 9:20pm

I have never had any luck encasing them, so I just leave them embedded on the surface.

Barbara