Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-05-19, 6:20pm

Default Striking Stressed

I am having trouble striking colors. I use a Baracuda torch and 2 concentrators. I feel I am setting the flame correctly, but the results are muddy as opposed to purples, etc. Should I switch back to oxy tanks? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2013-05-20, 5:44am

keep the haze burnt off. if you've previously had no trouble with strikers, but now since switching to oxycons you are having issues, then that's the trouble. it can be hard to keep an oxidizing flame with oxycons.

what oxy cons are you running? iirc, the cuda is somewhat of an oxy hog......
Old 2013-05-20, 8:42pm

I think it may be the cuda. I haven't had the trouble w/striking until the cuda. Would using oxy tanks help, or would it hog the oxygen w/tanks as well?
Old 2013-05-20, 9:40pm

My concentrators say Newlife Elite Airstep on them. Don't know if that helps. Thanks for responding with any advice.
Old 2013-05-21, 7:29am
Now part of the Dark Side

Going back to tanked would be a big help. Or, if your 'cuda is a 4 stud run the oxy cons in the inner fire and the tanks on the outer.
Old 2013-05-23, 6:16am

Good feedback everyone.
I'll add a little more information that may help clarify things.
It is very common for people to post " my colors just are not striking as bright, or my amber purples are not turning blue / purple like they did a month ago... and I have the same system, torches, oxy cons, flame settings as I did last month!"
First, cool winter days have dry air which drastically increases the performance of an oxycon. A hot day will change things while a hot and humid day will REALLY change things. *** important *** The molecular sieve can not perform as efficiently in hot and humid days. Notice.... your flame will still look and sound like a high oxy flame, but in reality it will be reducing. Human nature is to turn up the oxycons to replace the lacking power when the sieve is not performing, which in turn makes you flame blue, fast and louder. This all sounds like a move in the right direction, but, the oxygen drops from 98% pure oxy to under 90%, so that nice blue flame, is really colder and reducing.
Holding tanks help a lot because you can fill them with pure oxy with soft running oxycons.... This will provide a nice buffer and prevent the need from running the oxycons too high of an lpm, dropping the purity too low.
Hope this helps,
Ron
Old 2013-05-23, 8:55am

Wow Ron, Thanks, Very helpful!

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2013-06-02, 3:59pm

Thanks, Ron. When you suggest the holding tanks, would those attach to the oxycons? The weather info is VERY helpful....lots of hot humid days in Florida.
Old 2013-06-02, 7:10pm

Yeah holding tanks go between the oxycons and the torch as a buffer storage. It allows you to run at higher flow rates than the oxycons are able to produce, but of course only for short periods of time between which you must run at a lower oxy rate to recharge the holding tank. I think what ron means when he says 'soft running' is to run the oxycons at a lower flow rate to achieve a higher purity oxygen. It would mean that you'd have to run your torch mostly low flow but then you'd be able to get those nice colors with the oxidizing flame.

I don't actually have an oxycon but I've been reading up a lot...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-03, 11:42pm
sorcerer

Working as quickly as you can, working very hot and not letting the colour strike too soon AND don't use pyrex glass if you want to get good colours, of course the flame being neutral is important too but the other things will make a big difference in how the colours develop, oxy cons are not the problem it is just as easy to get good colour with them as with tanked oxy.
B

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-06-04, 11:06am

I'm going to jump in here and ask a related question. Using concentrators, too..... Does anyone burn off the silver well and then encase in clear? I'm having mixed results. I'm wanting to then make implosions or whatever and am thinking this would keep the haze off. But... Does the cooling down and then heatin again when encased cause haze,too? TIA
Rose

Old 2013-06-04, 5:28pm

Thanks for all the great help. I love my oxycons. I've always gotten good striking with them. I must be running too hot. I'll try that first and then look into the holding tanks, perhaps. Thanks All !!