TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-07-01, 8:52am

Default Polishing ( Da pretty silva bit )

Ok boys and girls ( and pat ) here is the promised polishing tut. Hope it is worth waiting for.

Okay this is what we have after or hitting things with our nice chasing hammer. If we have been good and kept at a constant angle whilst using our pretty hammer we should have a nice clean face to work with without to many nicks and bangs.

Now this is top secret. Dont tell a sole ( mm think thats a shoe ). These little beuties are called Silicon Carbide Brownies and Greenies and are produced by the shofu dental company. They are a clean eficient way of polishing without a liquid polish. I dont show the brownies here but lower you will see them. Im more showing the shapes i use.

Note * Always use some type of mask when polishing with these just in case. *

Here are the two grades i use the brownie which gives you a satin finish and the greenie which gives you a verynice finish like a rouge polish. I have only shown three shapes there are five that i know of by this manufacturer. Of the three i have shown i have found for the inserts the bullet shape to be the best for me but try other shapes for your self.

I use a dremel but anything will do as long as the job gets done . I do the centre first with the brownie which is the coarser of the two.

Then move onto the face of the dome. Ive found that using the bullet shaped bit at right angles to the face then going from side to side works nicely but experiment and see. I have never had a problem of when going of the edge onto the bead in scratching the bead but once again check for your self on a old bead or a glass rod.

This is what we end up with after the coarser brownie, not bad a satin finish. If you wanted you could simply leave it there.

Here we swap from the brownie to the greenie (sounds like a ecological campaign ) being the finer of the two and rinse and repeat.

Ok after the fine we end up with a very nice finish. I would say its very close to a rouge finish. Now you can go two ways here and purchase the super greenies which are a better finish again or ( drum roll )

This is what i like to use. I have been using this polish for longer than i can remember and i find it to be the best final polish for metal ive ever used.

I apply this with a soft lint free cloth and it takes very little effort to get a brilliant finish.

So there we have it, not hard and a awesome finish. I have done a little research for you guys and found that you can get the polishing tips from here. They have there own range which i might try myself . Now with the Autosol id say any auto shop or walmart.

Hope this helps you guys out. Thanks for looking.

Regards

Andrew.

The Rivet Tutorial can be found here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
back up and running. Been months so needs major work. (updated 12/06 )

Last edited by Andrew; 2008-07-01 at 9:12am.
Old 2008-07-01, 8:53am

Reserved

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-01, 10:38am
Obsessionwoman

Andrew...thank you so much for both tutorials...hands clapping...I know there was a major effort put into making them and I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge...now I'm going to buy some of your beads, thanks again...Lenora(obsessionwoman)
Old 2008-07-01, 4:09pm
I speak Murrini!

Awesome, Andrew! I have a great dremel, and several of the bullets already; I like the look of that polish...I think I needs me some!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-01, 5:16pm
burnin' glass just becuz

wow. Thanks so much for this 2nd tut....that was SO much simpler than i thought it was going to be (bad polishing memories from past silversmithing classes)! I think i even have those bits in my dremel kit...

couple questions:

-could i get this same level of finish by tossing the lined beads into the tumbler overnite?
-can i use that final metal polish with a buffing tip and the dremel?

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-07-01, 9:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessionwoman View Post
Andrew...thank you so much for both tutorials...hands clapping...I know there was a major effort put into making them and I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge...now I'm going to buy some of your beads, thanks again...Lenora(obsessionwoman)
Thank you from the bottom of my heart and a fantastic pick probale my favorite at the moment its on its way.

Quote:
Awesome, Andrew! I have a great dremel, and several of the bullets already; I like the look of that polish...I think I needs me some!

DeAnne in CA
Nice one give it a go

Quote:
wow. Thanks so much for this 2nd tut....that was SO much simpler than i thought it was going to be (bad polishing memories from past silversmithing classes)! I think i even have those bits in my dremel kit...

couple questions:

-could i get this same level of finish by tossing the lined beads into the tumbler overnite?
-can i use that final metal polish with a buffing tip and the dremel?
Now that is a great question. I have had a short cut on my desk top to buy a tumbler for six months now and keep putting it of. Only way to find out is try both and see.

Most certainly you can do that, i dont normaly bother as it only takes twenty seconds, but give it a go and see how it looks.

Thanks guys for looking and commenting.

regards
Andrew.

Old 2008-07-01, 9:47pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Uh, Andrew(A name I love..it was my Grandfather's)....you said boys and girls (and Pat).................as in ...............well, evidently you know me better than I thought!!!HAHAHA...Thanks again for all your wonderful words and pictures. I am going to get up bright and early and make a fat finger and get the polish. I have two beads ready. I will put the other one in my tumbler and take some pictures...pat
Old 2008-07-02, 3:10am

Oh cool pat, i cant wait to see the results. Something i have been going to do for ages is purchase one to do a comparison.

regards
Andrew.

Old 2008-07-02, 9:46am

Thanks for this great tutorial Andrew!!!

I'm going to get that to polish my scratched jewelry!! YAY!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-07-02, 2:48pm

great idea helen, highly recomend it.

Thank you for the compliment

Regards
Andrew

Old 2008-07-02, 7:01pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Hello and all is well!! Not really...I have had two cored beads in the tumbler for about 2 hours. They really look great, but for some reason my camera will not pick up the coring and make it look shiny. It looks brassy.
I got great pix of silver bracelets, so any ideas out there? I think they will be shiny enough. I will keep trying to get a good pix.
pat
Old 2008-07-02, 7:04pm

try holding them on a angle away from the light

Old 2008-07-02, 7:07pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

This one doesn't look too bad. I will try your suggestion now. Thanks, Andrew.......
Old 2008-07-02, 7:08pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

sorry about the bigggg image!! This is the first time I have uploaded a pix. Guess I need to make it a thumbnail first. pat
Old 2008-07-02, 7:14pm

good job

take a very close photo (macro setting if you have it )

then crop it in whatever software you are using.

Resize it to say about 400*400 dpi and and just below 80 kilobytes and if you already know that sorry for jumping in

Last edited by Andrew; 2008-07-02 at 7:21pm.
Old 2008-07-02, 7:35pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

That is ok, Andrew..I need all the help I can get. I am using macro, and I have tried to crop it and resize it. I think I have been playing with this "stuff" all day and need a break!!! I will try again for a better pix tomorrow.
If anyone else has tumbled, please jump on in here......pat
Old 2008-07-02, 8:02pm
Senior Moment

Here is another place to buy fromzz;

https://www.riogrande.com/home/Membe...e=332790&cid=1

Old 2008-07-03, 12:15am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittypat View Post
That is ok, Andrew..I need all the help I can get. I am using macro, and I have tried to crop it and resize it. I think I have been playing with this "stuff" all day and need a break!!! I will try again for a better pix tomorrow. If anyone else has tumbled, please jump on in here......pat
Hi Pat!

Not sure what third-party host you might be using for your photos (if any), but I use Photobucket. It's free, and they have a new, very easy-to-use "built in" program to resize and crop your photos. If you haven't given them it look, it might be worth checking out:

http://photobucket.com

I'm a real dolt when it comes to photo programs...I have Photoshop, but I usually have to bribe one or both of my kids to help me out even on simple tasks (need more practice on it, for sure!) With Photobucket, it's amazingly easy!!! And I don't have to empty my pockets or drive it through McDonald's either!

Just a thought!

~De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-03, 1:27am

Bummer wont let me log onto it. Oh well ive spent enough money this year

Old 2008-07-03, 6:14am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks, De...I will try that. I am having really good luck with my other bead pictures, but not this one for some reason. I am using the free Photoshop Express. It is really easy too. I think I will have a try at Photobucket today.
Thanks again, pat
Old 2008-07-03, 8:09am

Thanks for another great tutorial, Andrew. I sure appreciate all the hard work you put into these. They are so thorough and professional.

You Rock!!

Goodies on

More on

Old 2008-07-03, 3:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by these jewels rock View Post
Thanks for another great tutorial, Andrew. I sure appreciate all the hard work you put into these. They are so thorough and professional.

You Rock!!
Thank you. I can see you are no stranger to hard work and attention. Awesome work on your site. I love Crazy the pendant. I have one on the bench that uses wire to secure the cab and also adds to the look. No were as amazing as that though.

Regards
Andrew

Old 2008-07-03, 5:08pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

For those following my saga of tumbling and picture taking, I think just maybe the pictures don't lie and there are more scratches than the naked eye can see. I have decided to tumble them for about 8 hours, which is what I do for chainmaille. Then I will see...maybe do the extra Autosol polishing on one and not the other and then pix.
pat
Old 2008-07-03, 5:50pm

What type of tumbler do you have Pat and with your chainmaille do you do anything to it before putting it in the tumbler?

Asking as i have no idea on prep for the tumbler.

Regards
Andrew.

Old 2008-07-03, 6:15pm
Colors outside the lines

Thanks for the great tutorials!

Leah
Old 2008-07-03, 6:32pm

Thank you muchly Leah

Old 2008-07-03, 6:46pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Hi Andrew, No prep for the tumbler, really, just a little shavings of Ivory soap and half full of water with a pound of bits and pieces of stainless steel shot. It will take any sharp edges off of the jumprings (which of course I don't have any!! yeah, right!HAHA) and bring the sterling to a really bright finish. I bought the cheaper model from Harbor Freight, Chicago Rotary Tumbler, and it came with the shot. A lot of the beaders have a more expensive one, but so far this has worked for me. There are a couple of good threads about tumblers when you get ready to buy one.
pat
Old 2008-07-05, 4:25am

Thank you Andrew. You are the best. I will try as soon as the mess is picked up and the shelf is installed. Then back to doing all the goodies and lining beads. You are the one and only that can do this. Well not. But close.

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-07-07, 1:15pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Ok, Andrew, and anyone else that can answer, please...I have looked all over for the Autosol...not listed in my True Value, local hardware store, etc...Did any of you find it????
I did find a product called Maas...
Thanks, pat
Old 2008-07-07, 1:32pm

OUR SITE IS CURRENTLY BEING UPDATED. FOR MORE INFORMATION ON OUR PRODUCTS, PLEASE SEND US AN E-MAIL TO INFO@AUTOSOL.COM OR CALL US AT 1-800-314-5545.
Autosol® is a registered trademark of Dursol-Fabrik.
Copyright Autosol, LLC 1998-2004. All rights reserved.

Give the toll free one a shot and ask for a close shop. That is the American site i believe.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p..._mmc=undefined
Another online one think they are In P A

Regards
Andrew

Last edited by Andrew; 2008-07-07 at 1:40pm.