Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-09-12, 4:09pm
It's fun when it's fun

Arg! So jealous! Must...stop...lusting...after...everyones...studio .....I am...so....close.... but still deciding between O2 tanks and concentrator. Right now my mess is contained in a series of tool boxes and tubes to take to class.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass..." ~ Anton Chekhov
I miss you Freesia
Old 2006-09-15, 3:14pm
Mary Lockwood

Crikies, if I have more than 10 rods out at a time I get jitters.

I'm sure I'd have some sort of seizure in your studio Shawnette. LOL

It's all good though...you like it that way and that's cool. You would probably have a seizure in mine. LOL

I pick up pieces of shattered rod with tweezers and put them in my water bowl as soon as they happen. When I'm done working my rods all get stowed and I dust-buster my work surface. Hahaha.

I'm not fun.

~~Mary

Old 2006-09-15, 10:32pm
Slightly Askew.....

Holy Mackerl!! What's a dust buster?? I have an inch of chards sitting under my torch. I keep thinking that I need to clean them up.....and yet finding the time seems impossible. Who needs to clean when you have things to create!

Charlotte

~A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~

Old 2006-09-16, 3:24pm

Hey Mary you are way to efficient for me, I don't even own a dustbuster,,, laughing Kerry

My Etsy:

'A creative mess is better than a tidy idleness'

SRA #C-126
Old 2006-09-16, 5:58pm

Me too Donna... If I start when the table is a mess I end UP with a mess....What's worng with me? LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T.
I don't know how in the world you guys can create in that chaos!!!! I have to tidy up before each session or it bugs me having things around all over the place. And I'm not a clean freak like my DH.
............However.....maybe I need more chaos in my life.......NAH!
Clean that stuff up! Ya'll driving me crazy. I hope I don't accidently wandering back in here or I won't be able to sleep at night!! Maybe I DO have OCD..............

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-09-17, 6:25am
The Andrea Half

LOL, I don't have enough glass for that yet, but I'm at the sweep-up and clean up stage. For one thing, I find it hard to find things, and for another, as many people have said, I don't want vet bills from glass in cat or dog paws. And finally I am in the process of selling a house, and even the bloody garage has to stay relatively neat!

However, the setup one has is the setup one can work in. Folks who work with glass pieces all over the desk need that atmosphere to create; folks who clean up need THAT setting. As someone said, it's what comes out in the end that counts. We don't sell our workspaces, after all!!

Old 2006-10-01, 6:16am
Too Hot for my Torch

If you let me use your torch I'll bake and I make sinfull homemade Ice cream. Attempting to make the first exersize bike Ice cream churner. Use the calories then eat em pack up! He he
The day we understand; everything that's going on, everything we're doing, and all that has come before; will most likely be the day we die. Otherwise we'll tell the world and then what will people do with their free time?
Old 2006-10-08, 10:27pm
Mary Lockwood

LOL, if you can believe it, I actually ASKED for the dustbuster as a birthday present one year. I know...I had a momentary lapse of some sort.

However, I use the darn thing every day for something or other. It's a good one too...sucks up dry or WET messes....like orange juice dumped from the breakfast table every other morning.

Anyhow, I agree...your environment is what you need it to be. My dinner dishes aren't done even now at 1:30 AM but by golly my torch surface is spic and span. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2006-11-03, 4:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdog
I look at every body elses nice neat studio and wonder where I went wrong. I guess I'm going to have to hire a maid or better yet get an apprentice. Anyway I have always heard that "a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind" or was it the other way around? I cant remember. Oh well
Thanks
Mike

In your photo, the hand torch near the front what do you that for. I just bought one at a grage sale for $4.00 with two tips now I don't know why I bought it or how to use it.

Gordon
Old 2006-11-03, 6:10pm

Argh! Mike does some wonderful work in the space he has. Mine is about the same. It is a mess. I can't even get to some of the stuff stuck around. Will be happy to have the electricians come some time this month. They are waiting for the WestStar to come and look at the house power cable. So we wait. Yes I love the mess. At least I can't say I missplaced something. It is there.

Rose Leslie
Old 2006-11-03, 7:44pm
senior citizen lampworker

Default hank torch

Hi Gordon,
The hand torch you see in the photo is my most used torch. It is a "Victor" welding torch, and I have a few different size tips for it.
I work primaryly in boro and have found that a "premix" torch works a lot better with the hard glass. The other torch you see in that photo that is standing on the flow is just a larger version of the same torch. And I have one more that is even larger that is not shown in the photo.
I have flames that range in size from 1/16 inch to about 4 inches in diamater.
I have used a lot of fancy (expensive) lamp working torches, but I always come back to these welding torches.
They are NOT good for soft glass though. You need the surface mix torch for the soft glass. And as you can see in the photo I use a Nortel Red Max. The Nortel torches work just fine for the boro also but you will not get the presise lampworking ability of a single candle flame as you can with the multi candles of a surface mix.
The reason the welding torch is not good for the soft glass is because being a pre mix torch it burns a lot hotter, even using the same propane and oxy as the surface mix. And the soft glass just can not take that heat.
So hook up that torch and give her a try. With a little effort and time you will master the premix torch for boro and then you will never go back to the others. (for boro at least).
Thanks
Mike

A YouTube video I made:
Old 2006-11-04, 2:21pm

I am just so jealous! I can't wait to have that much stuff. I am still BROKE, so the stuff part is till taking way to long, but with the little bit that I have is in a wonderful state of chaos. You are my goal!
Old 2006-11-04, 5:46pm
Oklahoma-Bead

eyyyyyyyyyyyyy, and i was thinking only me is an chaos woman...wow, that looks like mine is always...

great, i feel now better.
thank you for showing me

*+*+*+*Some is so marvelous that it is already enough erroneously in it to have believed*+*+*+*
Old 2011-02-12, 5:52pm

I needed to keep my place nicer. I have a cat that will hop on ME and the table as I am working. If I can get him before I start I'll but him in a room.
Old 2011-02-12, 5:57pm
It's about having fun!

Me too!
Old 2011-02-12, 11:19pm

I worked all day cleaning and reorganizing my studio! But like the desk pictures it will not last long. I work well in my chaordic room (Organized Chaos)

Mary Ann
DAUGHTER OF THE KING!
Loving life and Lampworking

Old 2011-02-13, 8:26am

Oh man. I can't find the smaller victor torches any more. They are gone with the wind. Now will have to purchas a larger model. Yes. Will go with that one.
Only my studio is not here any longer. Wait until spring.
Then it will be a disaster again looking for glass in the pile.

Rose Leslie
Old 2011-02-13, 9:42am

I have to do all of my "stuff" in my studio. From beading to glass to packaging etc... Plus, we have our house on the market, so people are traipsing through at least once or twice a week. So I am like lots on here, messy while working, then clean up when done. It's twice as much work, but it looks like its a studio anyway : )
I love seeing everyone's workspace. Here's mine...
Attached Images

Old 2011-02-13, 12:13pm
It's about having fun!

I can't even stand to look at the pictures! Sorry, but I would go insane if my table look like that! But, that's just me! ;c)
Old 2011-02-13, 12:20pm
It's about having fun!

My husband bought me a little shop vac, it's my new best friend, lol
Old 2011-02-23, 11:19am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Crikies, if I have more than 10 rods out at a time I get jitters.

I'm sure I'd have some sort of seizure in your studio Shawnette. LOL

It's all good though...you like it that way and that's cool. You would probably have a seizure in mine. LOL

I pick up pieces of shattered rod with tweezers and put them in my water bowl as soon as they happen. When I'm done working my rods all get stowed and I dust-buster my work surface. Hahaha.

I'm not fun.

~~Mary
This pretty much sums it up for me too. LOL I must add that I am a Lucy as in 'I love Lucy" and I just know I would be full of glass splinters in no time. It is mostly for my own safety that I keep things tidy after every session.
Old 2011-02-23, 3:00pm
Melting

These pictures literally make me nauseous! I can hardly bear to look at them. I'm another shop vac person. I pick out my rods before each session and put them away after, and my work area gets vacuumed on a regular basis. Of course, I switch COEs regularly and use every bit of glass down to the last splinter so that makes it a little more important!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-02-25, 7:51pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Here's what mine looks like after 8 hours work:

I love seeing everyone's benches!

Old 2011-05-04, 8:18pm

Creative minds thrive on caos

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2011-05-27, 11:27am
Somewhat out there!

Sometimes its not only the bench that's messy. In my case it's the whole room. When I do start to clean up I find myself rearranging everything too. This is just a picture of "normal" . It's fun to have a peak into others work spaces. Nothing special but here it is.

Julianne
Old 2011-05-27, 11:43am
Growing Edge Glass

Shawnette....your pics cracked me up....I want to come and plunder!!!

Love all the glass...must.. get... more glass... soon!

I'm one of those 'clean up after every session' people...complete with sweeping and a wipe down....then I cover my bench/tools/glass with a large towel.

As clumsy as I've become in my.....er......late 40's.....I'd impale myself on a stray rod or step on one and roll to my death on the concrete floor, if I didn't keep it neat.

gotta have a neat bench...my jewelry bench is the same.

Just noticed how old this thread is!!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~

Last edited by Truewealth; 2011-05-27 at 11:49am.
Old 2011-05-29, 9:12pm

If it works for you....... Perfect...... I have found with everything If I don't have a system that makes sense to me, it all comes back out in a worse mess than I started. Not their with the glass yet, so my table looks like yours.
Old 2011-05-29, 10:54pm
Naysayer

I laughed the first time when I saw this at Shawnette's, that's awesome

And mine is close just not as much stuff, only because I don't have that much haha. But that said, getting a rather large chunk of glass in my heel today..upstairs far from my studio..that I'm going to try my best to be much neater. This time it crunched as I stepped and I was pulling out teeny pieces.
I always wear shoes, even if it's flip flops but I get way too much glass in my feet since it travels in my soles, and if I (you) walk anywhere wearing them it's bound to happen.
Old 2011-05-30, 9:42am
tiptrinket

This is my small space for glass. And my small area for putting jewelry together in the corner of the kitchen area. I have fun I guess that is what matters. I can sit and put jewelry together and watch my husband cook.(I have one of the sweetest most patient husbands in the world.) I'll have me a studio soon though. If you notice the map...I started sending Secret Santa gifts last Christmas and am marking with a push pin every time I send something to someone. Just thought it would be fun!
Tippy
Name:  necklace 001.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  necklace 002.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  64.8 KB
Old 2011-05-30, 1:03pm
grama punky - class junky

so fun seeing everyones work spaces...heres mine