LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-08-18, 6:44pm

Default Using a public studio - need advice

I do most of my torching in a public studio at a nearby university. I'm in the process of moving my "home studio" (i.e. table) to my father-in-law's shop, so it will probably be a while before I can do any work with my own equipment. Not that I'm complaining about that - the facility is amazing, and even though I have a HH and kiln, I prefer using their Minors when I can. Plus, when I factor in the cost of Map Pro for the HH, it's much cheaper to torch there.

So here's my dilemma: their kilns don't have any sort of bead rack. We just lay the beads down on the firebrick floor, which is highly textured. I often get rough spots on my beads. I guess what I need to know is how to make sure my beads are cool enough to not pick up the texture, while making sure they don't cool too much to get thermal shock. Or should I just forget garaging there and anneal in fiber blanket or annealing bubbles and batch anneal when I get home? I would appreciate any suggestions!!
Old 2014-08-18, 9:57pm

Have you asked about adding a bead rack?
The woven wire type or perf plate type are fairly cost effective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-08-19, 1:40am
I fart diamonds

I tap mine on the side of my water jar.

Old 2014-08-19, 4:02am

I use a bead rack in my kiln which has a fiber lining. Oi use it because I was getting the fiber print on my beads.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2014-08-19, 8:26am
I'm meeeeelting

A boro rod will also work as a bead rest to get them up off the floor. One way to check temp is to hold your bead under your work table (dark area) to make sure there's no glow left in the bead.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-08-19, 6:40pm

Thanks for all the tips!! I'll see if maybe they'll let me use my own bead rack...I'd even donate one! The studio manager is a really nice guy, but not sure how he would be about making any changes. If that doesn't work I'll try out your other suggestions.
Old 2014-08-20, 4:23am

The rough spots are because you are putting your beads in the kiln while they are too hot. If you can, hold the bead under the table (where it is dark) and let the glow go. Once the glow is gone, the bead can go in the kiln.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2014-08-20, 11:03am

I only use annealing bubbles and batch anneal, haven't lost one yet. Still have to be careful how hot they are when "plunged" into the annealing bubbles....
Old 2014-08-21, 9:36am

About knowing when they are cooled enough: I was taught to make sure the red/orange glow is gone. You can check by holding it in a dark place, like under the table. It stays glowing longer than you may think.
Edit: missed the post that said exactly this.....just ignore.
Old 2015-01-22, 11:54am
Living out Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
A boro rod will also work as a bead rest to get them up off the floor. One way to check temp is to hold your bead under your work table (dark area) to make sure there's no glow left in the bead.
What a wonderful idea. Thanks so much.