Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2011-08-04, 3:20am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Overall it comes down to what is practical.

1) If the person did not ask the question who would know that the tutorials were sold.

2) If one of the authors were aware of the issue what would they do?

3) Would the author be willing to utilize a copyright lawyer?

4) How much time, energy and dollars is the author willing to use to make their point?
Sanity prevails

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-08-09, 8:27am
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
You can't sell software unless it is unopened with the license code never used. In fact, even then it might not be legal ( the courts are still working the issue out)
I've purchased used software before. I just ok'd with the company first and they changed the existing license into my name. Wasn't a problem.

Minor and Oxy Con with AF3P Kiln
Old 2011-08-09, 8:31am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
Most of the tutorial PDF's I've purchased have this same kind of wording in them. I wouldn't resell them and I wouldn't buy them from anyone other than the original artist/author.
I agree with this and would like to add that I wouldn't loan them or give them to someone else either. I paid for them and the other person can too.
Old 2011-08-09, 8:34am
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

This thread is very interesting, I've had a similar question in my mind lately. When I first started lampworking I bought a tutorial, paid $25 I think, but I've never used it. It turned out to be a complicated technique and I just was never interested in trying it after I saw what it was. I never even purchased supplies to use it. I don't think that reselling tutorials is right, but what about one that will never be used? What if it was deleted from the purchaser's disk and given as a gift? Wouldn't it be similar to purchasing a tutorial as a gift? I only ask because I think it's a shame that such a nice tutorial go to waste.

I might add that before the tutorial was written, the main technique of the bead was shared in the forums. The tutorial, of course, is incredible and outlines an entire art bead.

Old 2011-08-09, 1:13pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByCher View Post
Wouldn't it be similar to purchasing a tutorial as a gift?
When people purchase a gift tutorial from me, I email the tutorial to the recipient, not the buyer.

Old 2011-08-09, 1:20pm
Nikki Haverstock

I would use this rule of thumb, if/when I run into the tutorial writer will I be able to tell them what I did with their tutorial without shame or guilt and will they still respect me? If the answer is No then I wouldn't do it (sell, share, give, buy, etc).

That is my opinion and I am sure that plenty disagree with me. I feel like I sound holier than thou, which is not my intention. It is just honestly how I feel about the issue.
Old 2011-08-09, 2:22pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
When people purchase a gift tutorial from me, I email the tutorial to the recipient, not the buyer.
Yes, I know that's the way it works. It's just that tutorial cost can really add up. I'm not saying that $25 or so for a professional looking tutorial is too much, especially a lampwork tut, I don't think it is. But everything is such a secret, I never know what to expect. Sometimes I try to ask questions and am told "buy it and see". What if, due to arthritis or something like that, I am physically unable to make the bead. Or what if certain materials are too costly for me and I don't know that until I see the tutorial? I've got a lot of tutorials that I won't be able to even try until I can afford more expensive glass. Or, or, well you get my point.

Some of the tutorials I've purchased were a complete rip-off, but I purchased them because of professional courtesy. You know when two people happen to be using the same technique, learned from different sources, but one just happens to write a tut for it? People are so touchy I feel like I can't sell an item using that technique without being bashed.

Wasted money. More profit for the tutorial writer. And just to clarify, I'm not referring to anybody here on LE, not even unintentionally. Just sayin'.

Old 2011-08-09, 3:39pm
Uh Oh....

When I gifted a tutorial to another person, I wanted to get it printed to give with the electronic copy. I asked the seller if I could do this, I had already purchased one copy for myself and this was a second copy that I wanted to give as a present. I didn't want the seller to send it to the person as it was a gift. I worked with the seller to make sure everything was on the up and up.

I buy electronic tutorials with the caveat that I cannot sell or give them away even if I don't like them. I bought a bunch when everyone first started making them. Now I'm more careful of the ones I pick. Not that they aren't any good but it might not be my thing and they will just go to electronic waste once my computer dies.

Old 2011-08-09, 3:46pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Yes, I know that's the way it works. It's just that tutorial cost can really add up. I'm not saying that $25 or so for a professional looking tutorial is too much, especially a lampwork tut, I don't think it is. But everything is such a secret, I never know what to expect. Sometimes I try to ask questions and am told "buy it and see". What if, due to arthritis or something like that, I am physically unable to make the bead. Or what if certain materials are too costly for me and I don't know that until I see the tutorial? I've got a lot of tutorials that I won't be able to even try until I can afford more expensive glass. Or, or, well you get my point.
I personally wouldn't buy a tutorial if I didn't know beforehand what materials/glass I would need or if I could physically do the technique/make the bead. I've purchased a couple of tutorials that weren't really my style. I just felt that if I made at least one bead from the tutorial and sold it, then I've paid for and justified my tutorial purchase. But if someone told me "buy it and see", I think I'd pass.

Quote:
Some of the tutorials I've purchased were a complete rip-off, but I purchased them because of professional courtesy. You know when two people happen to be using the same technique, learned from different sources, but one just happens to write a tut for it? People are so touchy I feel like I can't sell an item using that technique without being bashed.

Wasted money. More profit for the tutorial writer. And just to clarify, I'm not referring to anybody here on LE, not even unintentionally. Just sayin'.
First off, you should feel comfortable selling anything made from a tutorial. Second, It looks like you could to be a bit choosier on your purchases. A good example is the free tutorial section full of information on non proprietary styles and techniques, that are also in the tutorials for purchase section. In some cases there are at least three tutorials for purchase covering a bead style that is also fully covered in the free section. Of course I have no idea what tutorials you've purchased but there is a ton of free information out there and really, there's nothing like discovering something all on your own too.

Old 2011-08-09, 8:33pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Quote:
First off, you should feel comfortable selling anything made from a tutorial. Second, It looks like you could to be a bit choosier on your purchases. A good example is the free tutorial section full of information on non proprietary styles and techniques, that are also in the tutorials for purchase section. In some cases there are at least three tutorials for purchase covering a bead style that is also fully covered in the free section. Of course I have no idea what tutorials you've purchased but there is a ton of free information out there and really, there's nothing like discovering something all on your own too.
Actually, I've bought a few where I was already doing the technique on my own, but when someone else published a tut on it, I felt I had to buy it to continue selling items with that technique. Does that make sense? It's like all of the sudden I have to give credit to someone else for what I was already doing. Not such a big deal really, the tuts weren't that expensive. I guess the whole tut thing sometimes confuses me. This really applies to wirework and jewelry making, I've gotten tons of awesome info here on LE, I love the comradery here! And all the lampwork tuts I've purchases were awesome, even the one I never used, and true, I bought it when I was really new and didn't really know what I was doing

Old 2011-08-09, 9:12pm
Uh Oh....

Cher - It's really a nice gesture to buy tutorials that others have published doing the same technique that you do and learned on your own but I really don't get the need to buy tutorials just because you want to sell the same beads using the same technique. If you figured out a variation after purchasing a tutorial, that's great. It's just an expansion of the original idea. So, I guess it doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't make any sense to buy every tutorial that shows how to make a wire clasp no matter how cheap the tutorials are just because I used them in jewelry.

Quote:
Actually, I've bought a few where I was already doing the technique on my own, but when someone else published a tut on it, I felt I had to buy it to continue selling items with that technique. Does that make sense? It's like all of the sudden I have to give credit to someone else for what I was already doing. Not such a big deal really, the tuts weren't that expensive. I guess the whole tut thing sometimes confuses me. This really applies to wirework and jewelry making, I've gotten tons of awesome info here on LE, I love the comradery here! And all the lampwork tuts I've purchases were awesome, even the one I never used, and true, I bought it when I was really new and didn't really know what I was doing

Old 2011-08-09, 10:09pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
Cher - It's really a nice gesture to buy tutorials that others have published doing the same technique that you do and learned on your own but I really don't get the need to buy tutorials just because you want to sell the same beads using the same technique. If you figured out a variation after purchasing a tutorial, that's great. It's just an expansion of the original idea. So, I guess it doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't make any sense to buy every tutorial that shows how to make a wire clasp no matter how cheap the tutorials are just because I used them in jewelry.
Hmmm, no, I'm referring to something that is a little more specialized than a clasp or simple spiral. Ownership of techniques has been confusing for me, I've learned some since those earlier days tho

Old 2011-08-10, 2:40am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense at al!

I'm now going to write a tutorial on making round beads, I expect you to buy it

Old 2011-08-10, 5:04am
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
That doesn't make any sense at al!

I'm now going to write a tutorial on making round beads, I expect you to buy it
LOL Deb! Where should I send the payment?

Old 2011-08-10, 5:09am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
LOL Deb! Where should I send the payment?
Www.yeehaifoundasucker.com

And please take that in the gently ribbing tone that's intended

Old 2011-08-10, 5:41am
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
Www.yeehaifoundasucker.com

And please take that in the gently ribbing tone that's intended
ROFL Deb! You are such a hoot! But seriously, I sure could have used someone like you on my side when I was more of a noooob! That'll teach me to lurk for 3 years!

Old 2011-08-12, 12:56am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
ROFL Deb! You are such a hoot! But seriously, I sure could have used someone like you on my side when I was more of a noooob! That'll teach me to lurk for 3 years!

Old 2012-03-31, 6:42pm
All Zeke, all the time

very interesting and informative thread. I asked an experienced lampworker if I could buy some books and tutorials from her as she is leaving the hobby. She mentioned selling used tutorials is a no-no. After thinking through her response and then seeking out this posting, I completely understand the need to make tutorials a one owner, non-transferable document. I appreciate Kandice's willingness to take it on a case by case basis for those unusual situations but the rule needs to be understood, followed and enforced, when possible.
Old 2012-04-01, 10:05am
Fried Cat

I think it's a little like paying your tuition fee for a private session. Once you get there, you video tape the session and attempt to sell it to others for the same amount.

i The instructor was only paid once
ii You benefitted twice, once from learned knowledge, again by selling what you learned

Would anyone here really think about taking a video camera into a workshop at the gathering?
Old 2012-04-03, 4:50am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Quote:
Selling off ebooks would be going against the copyright terms most of us have in our tutorials. Mine has this in it:
This tutorial is for your own personal use so please don't pass it on or share it with anyone. You may print out a copy for yourself.
Mine have the same verbage. Its a no no

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-04-03, 6:59am
Jacqueline Parkes

So here is a question.What should happen to my many and I mean many......binders full of printed off tutorials when I kick the bucket? Serious question here as it is a serious collection. I am starting to wonder how to deal with the business part of my life in a will.

Old 2012-04-04, 2:22am
what's a senior moment ?

I have wondered the exact same thing gems. I have a ton of money wrapped up in tutorials not only in the purchase of them but also printing costs. And no one in my family nor any of my friends make beads or melt glass in any form. As I considered this I decided I would instruct my family to sell the notebooks with the companion disks as well as all my lampworking equipment. Afterall, I'm dead, they aren't going to have any use for any of that stuff. I would roll over in my grave if they just tossed all that wonderful information that is in the tutorials.

Last edited by dla; 2012-04-06 at 3:05am.
Old 2012-04-04, 8:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh-in-AK View Post
Welll, can this be looked at as a breach of contract?

If I, as the buyer, have agreed that I am purchasing a tutorial for my own use and will not sell it to anyone else, then I am agreeing to not sell this to anyone else. Period. The e-tutorial is basically for the one person who purchased it. The buyer doesn't have the authorization to turn around and sell it to someone else, BECAUSE the buyer agreed NOT to sell it to anyone else, that this tutorial is for personal use only.

JMHO
What I have recently read is in order for a personal use only type of contract, the buyer has to specifically opt in to the agreement. It is not as simple as buying the tutorial. There has to be a specific agreement between seller and buyer.

Best info I can find so far. And my understanding of copyright law. Of course it is not a black and white area.

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...Patterns.shtml

The pattern itself would be copyright. Someone cannot pinch or buy the patterns/tutorials and sell them or give them away. They cannot buy one copy, make additional copies and sell or give away. They could not pinch or buy a pattern and change a little bit of it and sell or give away.

It is legal for me to sell or give away a tutorial I purchased. It is legal for me to sell items I made using the directions in the tutorial.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Last edited by Melinda; 2012-04-04 at 9:20pm.
Old 2012-04-04, 8:57pm

Take ego out of it. If there is no copyright, they can be re-sold for whatever somebody is willing to pay.
Old 2012-04-05, 4:17pm

Many of us purchased and sold our books and booklets such as Making Glass Beads, Passing The Flame, Spotlights on..., Sharon Peters, Leah Fairbanks etccc... And I have never heard anyone say we should not sell or give them away when we are done with them. They are quickly grabbed up in the GS.

Why is it ok to sell/give away those but not the E tutorials we buy? What's the difference? IMHO, I see no difference.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Last edited by Melinda; 2012-04-05 at 9:59pm.
Old 2012-04-24, 1:52am

whoo hooo, I'm a thread killer...I sleep in the day... thread killer get outta my way.....

Old 2012-04-24, 3:58am
Entropy increasing....

It seems a weird area to me. You can buy a book and lend it 50 times to other people. This is what libraries do. You can sell it in a garage sale, or to a used bookstore who will just turn around and sell it to someone else. You can do the same with CD's, DVD's.

Ebooks cost almost as much as printed books, but with a printed book them major cost is the actual producing a book in print. The author gets very little of actual cost of a book.
Old 2012-04-24, 4:19am

I wonder how many of the tutorial writers paid ($45) to have their tut's copyrighted?
Old 2012-04-25, 10:06am
Queen Tut ;)

I see tutorials more like a class with that artist, rather than viewing it as a book. I'm paying to learn that technique, recipe, etc.. I look at what's advertised for the cost of the tutorial and judge in my mind if it's worth $5, $10, $25, + to learn that specific bead/technique. Some tutorials have been well worth their cost (more in some cases!), and I constantly will refer back to them, for ideas or inspiration. Others have really disappointed me, and I feel like I wasted money.

However, no matter if I feel like I've wasted money or not...I purchase tutorials knowing they are mine and I can't share them. Once I die? Eh, I'll be dead, so I don't care. Sell off my equipment and glass, the tutorials...well, the next person will have to buy their own. By then, I'll probably have hundreds of tutorials I've purchased. (I hope to live 60 more years lol) But like I said, I personally view them as like taking a mini-class with that artist. With the benefit of not having to travel, and having the notes written down for me, with pictures to boot!

I enjoy supporting other hard working artists in their endeavors to make a living in a society that pays celebrities millions to say a few lines and make me believe a story (don't get me wrong, I love movies and some tv). Perceived value.

That's just me though.

Jenne

Old 2012-05-02, 3:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieswonder View Post
I wonder how many of the tutorial writers paid ($45) to have their tut's copyrighted?
You don't have to pay anything to have a copyright.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.