Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-12-06, 8:07pm
Got Honey?

Default Anyone using the JoolTool for cold work?

Saw the JoolTool demo at the gathering and talked with Anie. Seemed like it would do a nice job. Got one and am having issues with the process. After working with it several times and coming out with the same finish I emailed her. She did not seem to be able to help really, referred me to her video and told me to keep trying.
So, this is the finish I am getting.
I am using the fine diamond, the medium grind diamond, then the very fine diamond as per her video. Finishing with the felt and compound.
Can anyone shed some light as to why I am getting this cloudy, pitted look?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-12-07, 8:46am

You are going from fine to medium to very fine? I'm not familiar with this tool or the video. But I've done some coldworking. Try medium, fine and then very fine and felt last.

Old 2015-12-07, 9:12am
Corgi Cult Member

I use my Jooltool for silver, not glass, but is it possible you are pressing too hard from below and taking off more glass instead of polishing the surface? Dip more frequently?

Old 2015-12-07, 11:10am
Dix Harrison

I LIKE this finish!

I didn't know jooltool would cold-work glass!
Old 2015-12-07, 1:10pm
Got Honey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
You are going from fine to medium to very fine? I'm not familiar with this tool or the video. But I've done some coldworking. Try medium, fine and then very fine and felt last.
There is a fine silver diamond disk which is not as fine as the medium paper diamond disk. I'm sure it doesn't make sense but it is in her glass video t use them that way. I have no problems until the final polish. I cannot get the gloss high is what I need.

Old 2015-12-07, 1:33pm

I don't use this tool but have done quite a bit of cold working in the past. The photo looks like pits which need to be smoothed out before polishing.

Cooljools website has PDF's, I don't see any videos.
http://jooltool.com/PDFs/GlassKitInstructions2015.pdf

The PDF for glass lists the following order for polishing:
coarse green
medium pink
fine blue
very fine orange
then polish with compound.

From what you say in your first post, why don't you try medium, fine, very fine, then polish and see what you get?

Darrell
Old 2015-12-07, 3:10pm

You may find yourself switching back and forth between the last two grits.

Are you changing directions, what type of compound are you using?

Old 2015-12-07, 5:48pm
Got Honey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgrant View Post
I don't use this tool but have done quite a bit of cold working in the past. The photo looks like pits which need to be smoothed out before polishing.

Cooljools website has PDF's, I don't see any videos.
http://jooltool.com/PDFs/GlassKitInstructions2015.pdf

The PDF for glass lists the following order for polishing:
coarse green
medium pink
fine blue
very fine orange
then polish with compound.

From what you say in your first post, why don't you try medium, fine, very fine, then polish and see what you get?

Darrell
This is the video she referred me to for polishing glass. I bought the glass polishing kit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVdqn0gZ9Sk&app=desktop

Old 2015-12-07, 5:49pm
Got Honey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthelm View Post
You may find yourself switching back and forth between the last two grits.

Are you changing directions, what type of compound are you using?
I am using everything she sent in the glass package. The final is the felt wheel with her polishing compound

Old 2015-12-07, 6:24pm

It looks like you are not getting out the pits and very fine scratches before going to the polishing compound. I use a Genie machine with 6 wheels to work mostly on stone but have worked with fused glass to make very smooth and shiny cabochons. You may need to spend more time on the medium and fine grits and work out all imperfections before you attempt to polish. Good luck.
Old 2015-12-07, 6:55pm

Thanks for posting the link to the video. In your first post you said you start with the "fine diamond" wheel but she calls it the flex diamond. So now it makes more sense as the flex diamond is coarser than medium which is coarser than the very fine.

Many years ago when I learned to grind and polish the bottoms of blown pieces, we would dry the surface after each level of grit and inspect the ground surface. You want to see a perfectly uniform level of roughness. If there are still pits from the grit before, than it will never polish smooth. Then when you do the next finer grade, again inspect for smoothness/pits. It needs to be dry to see it properly (we used to use a compressed air hose to quickly dry the surface).

Do you have the cerium wheel as well?

I apologise in advance if I am telling you anything you already know. I hope you get it figured out, so that your purchase works for you.

Darrell
Old 2015-12-07, 8:38pm
Phill

Any possibility that what you are working on is devitrified and that each polishing pass only reveals lower layers of devitrification ?
Old 2015-12-07, 9:53pm

Are they round pits or long scratches? Pits would be an issue with the glass most likely bubbles. Scratches would suggest either not using each grit long enough or contamination grit to grit.
Old 2015-12-07, 10:11pm
Loving learning

The tool she is asking about is way different than normal equipment. It is the specific tool that is the challenge I believe.
Old 2015-12-07, 10:41pm

Ive watched the video. Its just a grinder. Nothing revolutionary here. The issues are the same as any other grinding scheme.
Old 2015-12-07, 11:01pm

I was wondering if the pits your are talking about is due to the glass you are using? Maybe a bunch of tiny bubbles that make it difficult to get a smooth surface... I think I would go to the last step - and see if the final polish will remove the pitted area, by smoothing it out.

feel free to friend me on FB if you can handle bead pics, dog pics and family pics -
Old 2015-12-08, 7:59am

I find that if the polish compound isn't mixed well or wet enough that it scratches....It took me awhile to figure out a good mix.
Old 2015-12-08, 1:50pm
Got Honey?

Thank you all for you input.
I have been making these for almost a year in numerous combinations of colors. I use a wet belt sander on them with no problems. It is specifically the JT that I am having the problem with and specifically with the final polish. I was hoping that someone who bought the machine had some advice as the creator herself seems stumped.
Attached Images

Old 2015-12-08, 1:52pm
Got Honey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwire View Post
I find that if the polish compound isn't mixed well or wet enough that it scratches....It took me awhile to figure out a good mix.

Shauna, The polishing compound is her own formulation, it is a stick and no water is used with it. Just a wool wheel. She has a cerium disk that you use water with but I get the same result with it and she says to use it at slow speeds which doesn't really make sense to me.

Old 2015-12-08, 4:03pm
da General

Lezlie, I have the JoolTool but only been using the metal discs. She did get a perfect shine on the glass cab when she demo it at the Gathering. Perhaps you can use whatever polishing compound you used before instead of what came with the JoolTool?

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-12-08, 7:51pm
Got Honey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Lezlie, I have the JoolTool but only been using the metal discs. She did get a perfect shine on the glass cab when she demo it at the Gathering. Perhaps you can use whatever polishing compound you used before instead of what came with the JoolTool?
Thanks Hayley. It's just frustrating because we sat and watched her and I know she got a good polish while I have tried and tried and can't. I have come to the conclusion that I will just need to do the final on the WBS