No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-29, 5:02am
susanLambert

Default moretti black

I ran out of vetrofond black and remember why I always buy it. My moretti black gets a silver haze on it. It seems sometime or another there was a problem with this or does it always happen? It's driving me nuts and I think I'll have to set it aside for under other colors.
Anyone ever deal with this and have any solutions? CLR doesn't remove the haze. I've ruined enough good beads that I'm ready to scrap all the black and just order some new.
would love to know if anyone has dealt with this.
Susan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-06-29, 6:56am
Born Facing Left

Hmmm. I've stopped using Vetrofond black because of silver hazing. The Effetre doesn't haze at all for me.

Yet you're having the opposite experience....very confusing! When I was having the issue with the Vetrofond, the haze was permanent and nasty. Only acid etching would remove it.

Old 2009-06-29, 7:10am
Gimme that silver glass!

I have the same experience as Sherry, I stopped using vetro black because of the silver haze! How strange is that?

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-06-29, 7:35am

Same here...it's the moretti that gave me the haze! Susan, are you sure you don't have them mixed up?

Old 2009-06-29, 7:46am

Try Lauscha Black! It doesn't haze!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-06-29, 6:50pm
Glass-scaper

Default re:Black

My Vetro black always devits--drives me crazy- Chris cotton
Old 2009-06-30, 8:47am
Burning through glass

I was having trouble too, so I switched to Hades...more expensive, but a better black all around IMHO.

From time to time, I get silvery haze on that too! But I discovered after changing my Propane tank one time, my pressure was not high enough, and I suspect the propane was not burning off completely...(that's my guess and I'm sticking to it! ). So I upped my psi to be around 6 psi (up from around 5), and that seemed to help. I also discovered when the propane gets below half full in my tank, the pressure goes down and if I remember correctly, I would get haze then too so I upped the pressure on the regulator then as well...I don't remember having haze after that. Sorry to be vague......check your psi, that might help.

Renee Wiggins

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2009-06-30, 12:29pm
susanLambert

no... I mixed the names up so sorry wrote the wrong glass name and then left town LOL I am so bummed because I'm on a roll with one design and have hit the pile of glass that is hazing. ugh. so figure I need to order some Lausha.
I will try adjusting the propane and see but at this point, I'm digging through everything and using my shorts.
thanks

Old 2009-06-30, 4:31pm
Lover of all things color

Wow, thought I was crazy. Just got a new batch of E\Black from Rocio and it get's this silver haze on it. I thought maybe it was the Black Metallic that I got by mistake. It even sparkles a bit in the flame like some of the silver glasses. Strangest thing I have ever seen. I recently got a batch from Frantz and it doesn't haze. ?????

BTW, I've never used Vetro Black so there isn't any way I could have mixed them up. Unless Rocio sent me the wrong stuff, but I don't even think they sell Vetro???

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Last edited by simvet02; 2009-06-30 at 4:35pm. Reason: addl. info
Old 2009-07-01, 5:54am

There is more information that people are leaving out of the conversation. There is no such thing as a 100% rule.... however, there are surely clear factors that can make a color reduce. The most common is..........
For those using concentrators. Heat and Humidity greatly effect the purity a concentrator can produce. Changing from winter to summer..... this happens every year. What throws people off is the flame looks and sounds the same, yet can be reducing by 20% more than before. So everything looks and feels normal... then.... reduction happens. LOL
Same can happen with tanks but not as much. A Hot Humid or rainy day can effect your colors "some" if you have the windows open for ventilation. Add more oxy to your flame and it should cover it.
Effetre batches... our current batch has been the same for the past 3 months. If this hazing just started, it would be unlikely to be caused from the batch unless people have had problems for the past 3 months and never said anything. Poeple who purchased from this batch would be in the hundreds, maybe even a 1000 people. Not sure about batch dates from other importers.
Old 2009-07-01, 1:06pm
He can do the origami

The current batch or Moretti Black I am using is not hazing up generally..... I can get haze if I am using a slight reduction flame but over all there seems to have been a huge improvement from the last batch of Moretti black I bought. However if I am using black as a large part of the design and I am using a reduction glass with it such as Black Nebula or Psyche...... I have to deal with the issue of Moretti Black hazing.

The last batch was completely unusable for me, even with tanked 02 on a neutral flame. I did however find that it worked o.k. for backing pendants because it was not part of the visual design.

I am still not sure why there is an issue with hazing though. I understand the mechanics and chemistry... I just do not understand how such a stable, dependable color from batch to batch, year to year suddenly became unreliable. For seven years I used Moretti black without any problems and only in this past year or so it seems to change from batch to batch. As rule I do not start switching companies just because there are some temporary glitches but I am shopping for a more dependable black.

Otter
Old 2009-07-01, 2:37pm
Born Facing Left

Otter, when it's happening with the reduction glasses, it's more likely to be fuming, dontcha think? From the silver glass?

Old 2009-07-01, 3:48pm
He can do the origami

Sherry, yeah it does fume and I take advantage of that sometimes by bringing my reduction flame across the piece at a constant angle and I can get a pretty cool effect..... but I still get some hazing. All and all the newest batch of Moretti Black is much better than the last one I bought but I am still a little dissatisfied with it. Lol maybe I just whine too much these days???

By the way.... Hi!!! long time no see

Otter
Old 2009-07-01, 4:41pm
Born Facing Left

Hi You!!

I haven't had issues with Effetre, but I'm still working on the pile of it that I bought...God, probably 4 years ago.

Love to see you again one of these days...it'll happen!

Old 2009-07-02, 5:25pm
Who me?

Several years ago, I had trouble with a batch of Moretti black that hazed over, a little like dark silver plum. I switched to Vetrofond. My latest black is Moretti because I couldn't get Vetrofond and I am not having any trouble with it.