Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-03-11, 1:43am

Default For Paula p

First start with Two rods of glass, one small in your left hand if you’re left handed. One bigger rod any size as long as your torch can melt the glass in an efficient manner. (I use 8 to 10)
Heat up the smaller rod (in your left hand) on the end and press to your pad to flatten out. Now comes the good part heat the larger rod in the flame until the end is soft and you know you can pull it out (you hold this rod at about a 45 degree) this rod will now stay in the flame. You now move the small rod in and place the tip of the large rod to edge of the flat round circle you made on the small rod. Once it sticks to the small rod pull the small rod back and as you do so turn the large rod clockwise making a small loop and pressing it back to the small rod that you again push back towards the flame. (Make sure you keep the large rod melting glass all the time. After making the trip around the whole thing start placing the stitches on top of each other.
If you look at the base of the cross it is what you want the stitch to look like. hope this helps if not get with me and we will try again
Old 2014-03-11, 9:13pm

Lol I forgot when you are holding the glass rod in the left hand it should be with that flat part that you made facing stright up, so the loops will fall with gravity down when going around. after just spin the base in the flame and press down to flaten so it will stand level.
Old 2014-03-11, 9:21pm
Remember to keep smiling

Nighthawk I read your other post before I saw this one. Thank you so much for this info. I will give this a try tomorrow and will try to post pics. Again thank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA#P109
Old 2014-03-11, 9:42pm

Default loop placement

Thats up to you if you place the loops inbetween you will get another look. the cross base has a just fill as you go dont matter where the loops land pattern,its best for the first starter dont try and place them just keep filling it in. hold rod straight up and down,put loop on edge of the small flat end and keep turning as you place the loops.
Old 2014-03-12, 6:23am

Nighthawk

This is very interesting.....I hope you share more information on your glass techniques.

Our wedding cake topper was made using this technique sad to say it broke up in one of our moves.

Becky
Old 2014-03-12, 9:03pm

I make cake tops .....was it a heart with wedding bells and love birds? sorry yours didnt make the move. I just made one for a friend and we put the heart up top then went around the cake with glass roses and swans together to make little hearts around the levels.
Old 2014-03-13, 3:55am

Yes that was one...in fact I live in the NW ohio area and the mall at that time had someone making them.

I will see if I can locate a picture of it.

Last edited by beadmama; 2014-05-06 at 6:27pm. Reason: Wording
Old 2014-03-30, 9:54pm

Default PaulaP

I hope you didnt give up on loops yet If you look at the angel in the pick with the cross, that is a counter clockwise loop. You start the same way as before but turn your rod counter clockwise and lay each stich right on the next one after going around once. This is he pattern that is used to make all kinds of things from bells to airplanes and the bodys of animals (fish horse, swan ect) You hold the rod at 45 degree angle and the punty rod just like before, attach and pull out a bit and then turn the rod towards you, this flips the loop counter clockwise and under. When you get done you wont see the loops just the pattern. next time at torch ill do a few pics of it.