Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-10-12, 10:34am

Default Burned Dichro

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm good at stupid questions. Have you ever applied dichro and burned it or whatever you call it before you encase with clear? I made something for a friend of mine a while back using dichro and she said she loved the white looking stuff. I told her that was not supposed to be that way, but she wants me to make more just like that. Is there any way to duplicate this effect consistently or is it pretty much a hit or miss type of thing? I hope this makes sense.

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2009-10-12, 11:10am
Surrounded by Trouble

Just give it to me, I'm a pro at burning dichro. Maybe part of the reason I don't like the sparkle glittery stuff.
Each time I have ever been gifted it, won it in a gift, I give it away, cause I know it is just wasted on me.
Yes I have seen the right way to apply it many many many time, I have done it correctly many times, still I can burn it. The shit just don't like it.
Kind of like having a fear of dogs, dichro growls at me when I walk into a room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-12, 12:32pm

If you ever get a chance to see Milion's CD on dichro I suggest you do! I was taking away on how you can actually put dicho into a "correct" flame without burning it ... ever since watching his video I haven't burned the dichro but I sure can burn the edges like a mofo still! GL!

Here's a direct link to Focus on "Flamework Flameworking with Dichroic Glass" - http://www.artcoinc.com/townsend-dvd.php

Chad
Old 2009-10-12, 1:45pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T View Post
Just give it to me, I'm a pro at burning dichro.
me, too.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-10-12, 2:01pm

Some dichro just does that. I bought a bag of dichro, and there was one color in the bag, that was a pinky green. It turned into ash inside of the bead. This happened gradually. It was fine when I applied it, but after about 40 min of working on the bead, the dichro had all burned out, and what I would call ash was left. I was NOT happy. I brought the dichro back and traded it. This 104 dichro had a rough surface, and was on the thin side. Now, I do use unfused dichro sheet, so I don't know if that is what you are using. It has happened a few other times too with other batches of dichro that looked the same. Had I known sooner, I would have given it to you

Old 2009-10-12, 7:21pm

I'm not sure you understand. She WANTS the burned out, ashy look in the glass.

Greg

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2009-10-12, 7:58pm
Tamara Knight

If you need some to burn up let me know - I have a couple lbs that had an accident and suicided off my work table. None of the pieces are larger then 2x2 none are smaller then half inch. On thin Boro sheet pinks, greens, blue, a little yellow

It just pisses me off everytime I look at it
It was not trev's - it has been while so I don't remember who's coating it was
Old 2009-10-13, 1:27am
product of the universe

if ya wanna burn out your dichro this is probably the stuff for you http://cgi.ebay.com/DICHROIC-HOT-GLA...item20acc1d6f5 i'm pretty sure that dichro will burn out and turn white for ya

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-10-13, 2:30am
Skeptical Optimist

Lol, lots of us are pro's at getting that white pattern, right? I think the key is to work fast and hot...

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2009-10-13, 5:53am

Thanks guys. TA, I PM'd you.

Greg

Old 2009-10-13, 6:06am
Pyromaniac

Work it low towards the torch head and don't encase completely with clear.
I think that's the key to burning it LOL!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-10-13, 8:11am
ManBearPig

Cheaper dichroic burns easier. Also, using a flame that isn't oxidizing will do it. Work it hot with a neutral flame and it will burn out no problem.

Old 2009-10-13, 10:06am

OK, Thanks.

Greg

Old 2009-10-14, 2:38pm
funny mofo

And to think that I gave the dichro I burned a burial at sea! I could have sent it to you!
Old 2009-10-14, 7:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
if ya wanna burn out your dichro this is probably the stuff for you http://cgi.ebay.com/DICHROIC-HOT-GLA...item20acc1d6f5 i'm pretty sure that dichro will burn out and turn white for ya

Yeah, I bought some of that crap and ended up returning it for a refund. I am pretty careful with Dichro and I had a hell of a time with that stuff.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2009-10-14, 7:17pm
product of the universe

i think that stuff was stage lighting or something.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-10-15, 5:42am
ManBearPig

Quote:
i think that stuff was stage lighting or something.
It was. The problem with it was that it had a coating over the dichroic coating which was supposed to keep it from scratching or something. Supposedly you could burn off the coating, but I never had any luck doing that.

Old 2009-10-30, 5:09am

Quote:
I bought some and every time I try to use it, the glass shatters. I don't believe they sent me COE 33. Just e-mailed them to return it.

Greg

Old 2009-10-30, 9:21am

I received the following response to my request for refund. Does this sound like I got the right stuff? This should be compatible with most any boro, shouldn't it? Has anyone else used this? I only tried it twice and both times the thing I was working on crumbled even before I put it in the kiln. I didn't even bother to put any in the kiln. I was afraid I would end up with bits and pieces of glass in my kiln. If anyone knows of a way I can use it I will keep it, but as it is, I don't think so. It's very thin too, maybe 1/16 inch.

"i WILL GIVE YOU A REFUND NO PROBLEM. tHE DICHROIC GLASS IS 33 COE MADE AS BOROFLOAT BY SCHOTT, A COUPLE OF THOUSAND CUSTOMERS HAVE USED IT IN FLAMEWORKING AND ALL ARE HAPPY. JUST MAIL IT BACK AND I WILL REFUND YOUR MONEY."

Greg

Old 2009-10-31, 1:53am
Southeast Alaskan Artist

As far as burning out dichro intentionally:
I have found that if i back dichro with a opaque then cut the sides off with shears and flame polish said sides they will become white burnt out speckles that transition into normal dichro effects, if you want to have an entirely ashen dichro strip I would try hitting it with a neutral flame hitting the coated side (rather than the backing rod) while applying your backing rod, build up a gather on the backing rod then hit the dichro you are about to cover with the flame as you swab it across, may take some experimenting but when I first started trying out dichro this is how i was mistakenly doing it and came up with similar results to what I beleive you are looking for.

Schott is boro for sure, but with a scrap bag there is always the possiblity of getting softglass, though rare. You have to be really careful when heating really thin stuff like that until you get it to working temp (after backing it or encasing or w/e you end up doing with it). I beleive this is because the material is so thin that the heat doesn't stay in the piece very long and thus creates stress risers in the sheet, maybe a soft flame (reducing, cooler) and working it farther out would help? I dont know for sure, I haven't worked with anything that thin in the form of a sheet, generally if i back my dichro and for some reason dont work it into my piece or pull it out into a stringer or whatever i am going to do with it right a way, it cracks every time, but I usually forget to garage it.
Old 2009-10-31, 6:50pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I received the following response to my request for refund. Does this sound like I got the right stuff? This should be compatible with most any boro, shouldn't it? Has anyone else used this? I only tried it twice and both times the thing I was working on crumbled even before I put it in the kiln. I didn't even bother to put any in the kiln. I was afraid I would end up with bits and pieces of glass in my kiln. If anyone knows of a way I can use it I will keep it, but as it is, I don't think so. It's very thin too, maybe 1/16 inch.

"i WILL GIVE YOU A REFUND NO PROBLEM. tHE DICHROIC GLASS IS 33 COE MADE AS BOROFLOAT BY SCHOTT, A COUPLE OF THOUSAND CUSTOMERS HAVE USED IT IN FLAMEWORKING AND ALL ARE HAPPY. JUST MAIL IT BACK AND I WILL REFUND YOUR MONEY."

Greg
Bring a piece by when you get a chance and let me try it.

If you still have it...

Old 2009-10-31, 8:13pm

I'm gonna send it back Monday, but will keep out a tiny piece for you to play with. When will you be back home from your trip? I guess I could wait until Tuesday or Wednesday if you will be back and can check it by then.

Greg

Old 2009-11-01, 6:23am
product of the universe

Quote:
I bought some and every time I try to use it, the glass shatters
That is not cool at all. I may have some around here that is super burn out stuff if i run into it i'll let ya have it.

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-11-01, 6:46am

Thanks

Old 2009-11-02, 6:29am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I'm gonna send it back Monday, but will keep out a tiny piece for you to play with. When will you be back home from your trip? I guess I could wait until Tuesday or Wednesday if you will be back and can check it by then.

Greg
We're back now.

Old 2009-11-04, 1:49pm
product of the universe

,hey i found about 42 grams of the stuff that i have that burns. Its patterned, kinda looks like a a broken record probably the only reason i kept it. Let me know if ya want it.

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-11-04, 5:14pm

How much do you want for it. That's about 1 1/2 ounces right?

Greg

Old 2009-11-04, 9:51pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Cheaper dichroic burns easier. Also, using a flame that isn't oxidizing will do it. Work it hot with a neutral flame and it will burn out no problem.
Cosmo - I could KISS YOU!!!! I have never heard the oxidizing flame thing before, so I tried that tonight. A dichro that I burned up a couple of weeks ago went on so beautifully! I could not believe it. Thank you SO much!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-11-05, 1:47pm
product of the universe

Quote:
How much do you want for it. That's about 1 1/2 ounces right?
The cost of shipping and a padded envelope will do.

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-11-05, 9:39pm

I think I can handle that. How would you like me to send the envelope? Do you know how much shipping will be? Do you do paypal?

Greg