Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-05-22, 6:24am

Default The good ole days......

Being new to lampworking - I look around a lot for tips, tutorials, just general knowledge and inspiration. I find some of the most beautiful beads - crazy talented artists - just makes me drool, my head spins around and my eyes bug out.

The more I dig though, the more I get the feeling that I missed "IT" or most of "IT" - so many tutorials I have call for glass that doesns't exist anymore - links that I find for beadmakers are no longer live. I have been a lampwork lover and collector for many years so I'm not new to the art, just really surprised to discover that it seems be fading away or at least not near what it once was? Just wondering what you veterans have to say? Are there any new good ole days ahead?

June
Old 2018-05-22, 7:42am
Lisa Berczel

I'm not a veteran lampworker (been burning glass for about 3 years) but, I am a veteran in several other creative fields... and I see a consistent pattern across all the mediums. There's a real bandwagon-then-bust cycle. One that is exacerbated if a craft becomes popular enough to get reality tv shows (Cake Wars, Biker Build-Off). But, there is always a steady underpinning of skilled artistans that keep chugging along.
Old 2018-05-22, 11:31am

I learned some basic lamp working skills a few years ago -- and at that time, this forum was very active. I only had a hothead though, and I realized that I would need an dual gas torch to do what I wanted to do -- so I put it on hold for a few years.
Long story short --we are moving, and I'm hoping to get back into it in my new location. I came back to 'take a look around' and catch up -- but it seems very very quiet on the boards.
Plus --I've noticed that some of the glass companies have stopped making canes. (Specifically some of the 96). I've been fusing glass, so I know that there was a major shift in the glass industry due to increased regulations and the sale of some companies.
I guess I've been wondering if lamp work is a fading art -- or if the conversation has moved to somewhere else? In our location hunts --I've noticed that many bigger cities now have actual glass studios - so that's an exciting discovery.
Old 2018-05-22, 1:27pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

My sister and I started 14 years ago with our first class. There was a lot of information and eye candy on the forums, but it seems that many of the great beadmakers that I used to follow are not as active as they used to be.
I still love it however and try new things all the time. The key is doing it because you love it and just keep trying to improve your skills. Corina Tettinger's book, Passing the Flame is a book I still look at, also Bluffroads Glass had a drool-worthy book.
Please keep going, if for no other reason than melting glass is a magical experience!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2018-05-24, 10:41am

I too believe the craft is in transition. I've been torching about 10 or 11 years.

I'll do it til I die.

Recently I found a stained glass shop that had some System 96 rods and I bought almost all he had. The new manufacturer is producing sheet and frit only and do not have a published plan of when they will. They are Glassline in Mexico
Old 2018-05-24, 4:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadgal View Post
My sister and I started 14 years ago with our first class. There was a lot of information and eye candy on the forums, but it seems that many of the great beadmakers that I used to follow are not as active as they used to be.
I still love it however and try new things all the time. The key is doing it because you love it and just keep trying to improve your skills. Corina Tettinger's book, Passing the Flame is a book I still look at, also Bluffroads Glass had a drool-worthy book.
Please keep going, if for no other reason than melting glass is a magical experience!
Yes absolutely will continue - though it is frustrating, at times I feel like I just wasn't meant to be a beadmaker - encountering one issue after another related to my lack of technical skills - then I take a break - study some more and try again. Having bead release woes at the moment - when I have not had problems before - release is flaking off and beads are not holding in place. Not sure what is going on .... hope I can find a solution soon. I have a new jar maybe that will help.

Just checked out your site - wow you make GOREGOUS beads!! Very drool worthy too.

Last edited by jsknow4445; 2018-05-24 at 4:27pm.
Old 2018-05-24, 4:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladypainter View Post
I'm not a veteran lampworker (been burning glass for about 3 years) but, I am a veteran in several other creative fields... and I see a consistent pattern across all the mediums. There's a real bandwagon-then-bust cycle. One that is exacerbated if a craft becomes popular enough to get reality tv shows (Cake Wars, Biker Build-Off). But, there is always a steady underpinning of skilled artistans that keep chugging along.
You know, that is true - all types of arts / crafts come in and out of the lime light. There is a network of skilled beadmakers still carrying the torch, sharing and teaching so that's something to be gratful for.
Old 2018-05-24, 5:56pm
Slogan Challenged...

I'm surprised no one mentioned Facebook. Many of us migrated over there, and there are quite lively discussions and lots of postings. Please check it out. Here is a good start https://www.facebook.com/groups/lampworkbeadmaking/

It seems there has been a resurgence of interest, lots of newbies starting up. I think it does wax and wane. I miss all the old beadmakers too!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-06-28, 5:38pm
WildBird Beads

So glad you brought this issue up! I started in 2005 but over 5 yrs ago i had some serious injuries to wrist and R hand, so I sort of just drop out for 5 yrs. Just today got back on this site to see what I could see, and couldn’t believe the reduction in activity. I am going to retire from my real job in about 11 months, so i wanted to refresh my knowledge and see what was new. I will always love beads and glass and hope that the art doesn’t fade away.
Old 2018-06-28, 8:32pm
Newfoundland lover!

Hi gang. I am back. I had to take a break and have just started after 4 years. I have been rereading lots of old threads. Nice to see you guys here. I am doing this for the love of it too!

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2018-06-29, 8:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned Facebook. Many of us migrated over there, and there are quite lively discussions and lots of postings. Please check it out. Here is a good start https://www.facebook.com/groups/lampworkbeadmaking/

It seems there has been a resurgence of interest, lots of newbies starting up. I think it does wax and wane. I miss all the old beadmakers too!
Yes this is true - found several lampworking groups on facebook - seems to be lots of selling groups as well. I like FB for connecting to Like Minded folks.
Old 2018-06-29, 4:12pm
Must..have..more...glass

Also check out the International Society of Glass Beadmakers page on Facebook. There are still a lot of great beadmakers out there making wonderful stuff.

Facebook:
Old 2018-06-30, 1:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsknow4445 View Post
Having bead release woes at the moment - when I have not had problems before - release is flaking off and beads are not holding in place.
That might be because your release has thickened up a bit - try adding a little water. Tap water or mineral water is fine, but not softened water, which will ruin it.
Old 2018-07-02, 10:26am
Lover of all things color

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsknow4445 View Post
Being new to lampworking - I look around a lot for tips, tutorials, just general knowledge and inspiration. I find some of the most beautiful beads - crazy talented artists - just makes me drool, my head spins around and my eyes bug out.

The more I dig though, the more I get the feeling that I missed "IT" or most of "IT" - so many tutorials I have call for glass that doesns't exist anymore - links that I find for beadmakers are no longer live. I have been a lampwork lover and collector for many years so I'm not new to the art, just really surprised to discover that it seems be fading away or at least not near what it once was? Just wondering what you veterans have to say? Are there any new good ole days ahead?

June

June, I think the "good ole days" started to die in 2008 with the crash of the housing market. Bead sellers found that people just weren't buying beads. Expendable income disappeared and with it sales. Jewelry makers had to be conservative and the trickle down affect was that we all had to tighten out belts.

Now, there are probably many other reasons, either associated with above or not. For me, personal life just got in the way. I haven't been down to torch in two years. I got two new puppies and lost my husband so between those three things I just haven't gotten back to the torch, even just for the enjoyment of it.

I'm sure there will be a whole new "good ole days" you just have to be willing to engage and make it happen.

Jan ( a very old timer)

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2018-07-02, 2:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
I'm sure there will be a whole new "good ole days" you just have to be willing to engage and make it happen.

Jan ( a very old timer)
That, exactly! The good ole days you see here did not happen because everyone sat back and watched. People participated and it had a life of its own because everyone pitched in.
Old 2018-07-30, 2:18pm

Being one of the newbies, I’d like to chime in with appreciation for those of you that have experience and still post tips for others. It appears the forums have been around quite awhile and, like I’ve seen in other types of forums, people come n go... on those sites (not glass related), I have found myself longing for some posters that that had once been great contributors, valued online friends & sources of advice.
I look forward to all the encouragement, tips & techniques, reading/information sources everyone has to offer!
Thanks!
Alli
Old 2018-08-02, 1:53pm
da General

I thought like you until recently. I started a Lampwork 104 Silver Glass group three months ago and we already have 700 members!

|
|
|
|
Old 2018-08-02, 6:26pm

Yup