Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-01-24, 1:45pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Default Easy Bead Box

I have relocated this information to my blog,

http://copperglassandrecycledtrash.b...-tutorial.html

Thanks for your interest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Beadbug; 2011-12-08 at 6:44pm.
Old 2009-01-24, 2:04pm

Thanks for the info Tracy.

Minor with tanked oxygen.
Old 2009-01-24, 2:09pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Thank, Tracy!

I have around a hundred cigar boxes lying around here and I've had good intentions to use them for my beads but haven't. This is a great way to make the inside of the box look nice. I love your positioning system for the mandrels!

Old 2009-01-24, 2:20pm

I have some cigar boxes too! Where does one find the Black quick count raised grid plastic canvas size 7? Micheals or Home Depot?
Old 2009-01-24, 2:52pm
Serenity Now!

Very cool ~ thanks for sharing...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2009-01-24, 4:10pm

Michales, Johan's and Hobby Lobby all have the canvas it is just the normal size but I didn't know if other places it came in more sizes so I put the size up just in case.

Old 2009-01-24, 4:14pm

Thank you. Now I will be looking for cigar boxws

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-01-25, 5:57am
the Evil One

It is really easy to do. Thanks Tracy!

Old 2009-01-25, 9:49am

Wow... great clear instructions!! When I'm ready to organize and stop making so many glass things, I will DEFINITELY be looking into better storage! Thanks Tracy, that was really generous of you.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-01-25, 10:08am

thanks Tracy, now I know what to do with all the cigar boxes my husband gives me. Barb
Old 2009-01-25, 2:09pm

Thank you Tracy. I think I would like to try to make some of these. Your instructions are so clear - just what I need!
Old 2009-01-26, 10:47am

Thank you for sharing, Tracy.

Minor
Old 2009-01-26, 11:42am

Thanks Tracy!
I just called the local cigar store to find cigar boxes and he says he has them coming out of his ears and will give me a good deal on them. Problem is I don’t know what a good deal is!
How much should one pay for an empty cigar box???

Old 2009-01-26, 12:18pm
Fairy WiNg Designs

then i get them I pay 3.oo each for the wooden ones and the cardboard ones are free.

I'll have a cafe mocha,vodka,valium latte to go please
Old 2009-01-26, 6:42pm

3-4 bucks

Old 2009-01-29, 9:50pm
Hat or Cake?

Thanks, Tracy.

I have a question, though. Once the beads are in, is it difficult to bend the mandrel to remove it from the box? Your boxes look very full, so I'm not sure how the rods bend for removal once the beads are in.

I'm going to try this - thanks for the idea and great instructions.
Beth
Old 2009-01-30, 12:40pm
Sparkle Strumpet

use of that grid could revolutionize show displays.....what a good idea, and what a nice thing to share....

Hurray!

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2009-01-30, 8:34pm

The rods are very easy to bend, if you cut the rods just long enough to stay in the grid then simply pushing the grid toward the foam will release them. I tend to cut mine a bit longer so have to bend them slightly. Not as much as in the photo that was an over exaggeration so you could see what I was trying to say, words aren't my thing creating is.

Old 2009-01-30, 8:51pm
Hat or Cake?

Thanks for the clarification. And it's quite clear that creating is your thing! They're great.
Beth
Old 2009-02-01, 6:32am
Alchemist

Thanks so much for sharing this! I've been wanting to make some bead-storage boxes, but a little confused as to exactly how.
Old 2009-02-01, 7:52am
Did you say summin' ??

Thank you so much ! If you didn't want to use cigar boxes, could you use those unfinished boxes from Hobby Lobby or Michaels? They're deeper, but you could probably end up with the same result? I like how the ones you made seem to just envelope the beads. VERY nice.

Old 2009-02-01, 9:21am
AKA Annan Designs

You are brilliant! I have lots of cigar boxes (I got a great deal last year from the local cigar shop) and I was going to use small blocks of wood to hold the mandrels but the plastic canvas would be so much easier. I am going to an art retreat next weekend and now I know what I'm going to be working on.

Thanks for the great directions. I have made bead boxes out of cigar boxes in the past using fun foam glued on the bottom and sides and little partitions made out of basswood. Making them your way with mandrels allows many more to fit in the box (and eventually the basswood will break.)

Again, thanks for sharing.

Peg
Old 2009-02-02, 7:28pm

Any boxes that are sturdy would work for this, the only thing that may be important is that it have a latch. I like a thin box because I can fit more into my bag but if you decide to use a thicker box I would keep the display toward the top so that the mandrels are easy to get in and out.

Old 2009-02-07, 8:49am
AKA Annan Designs

Thanks again for the tutorial. I am home (letting my dogs out) but I'm leaving soon to get back to the art retreat. I've made about five boxes and will probably make more before the weekend is up. You are brilliant! I love these boxes - they hold quite a few and you can see what you have easily.

You rock!

Peg
Old 2009-02-09, 6:45pm

Tracy, thank you so much! I just finished three of them, and I love them!
Lori
Old 2009-02-16, 5:59pm
yes, llamas...and ducks

Location: Langley, BC, Canada, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth.

Thanks for sharing!!

Flaming on a Minor with concentrator.

Old 2009-02-17, 11:54am
Undiscovered Artist

Thank you so much for sharing. I loved all the pictures especially the one of the supplies.

Can't wait to try this!!!

Rhonnie
Old 2009-02-27, 9:31pm
Texas Art Angel

Thank you for sharing. I bought several cigar boxes then couldn't figure out how I was gonna do it.
Old 2009-03-02, 6:36am

Fabulous bead storage Tracy! Soon as I can find some cigar boxes I will give it a whirl.

Sals
Old 2009-03-07, 1:56pm
picking Job's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bead_bug View Post
The rods are very easy to bend, if you cut the rods just long enough to stay in the grid then simply pushing the grid toward the foam will release them. I tend to cut mine a bit longer so have to bend them slightly. Not as much as in the photo that was an over exaggeration so you could see what I was trying to say, words aren't my thing creating is.
Tracy,

question: have you tried to cut the tops of the canvas so that you can just lift the mandrels out without bending? Would they fall out if you do that?

I love the idea. I'm sure I'll make one or the other sooner or later. And I have to go to the tobacco shop anyway (some of us do still smoke ...)
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln