No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-02, 4:17pm
Lover of Life

Default What trans yellow is metallic?

I have a bunch of loose ends that I bought. They are all COE 104. I grabbed a premade transparent yellowish (light amberish) 2mm stringer, expecting a trans yellowish string, but it began showing a metallic finish, so I doused it in a reduction flame, and sure enough, got a lovely metallic sheen with some color variances. I would love to know what glass this is so I can buy more. Anyone????
Old 2008-05-02, 4:38pm
Glassy Lady

I would have to guess something like the Da Vinci transparent, Garzoni Giovana or the mountain honey.

A picture would help identify it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-05-02, 8:08pm
yukue fumei

oooh--maybe it is T-28! It comes in very thin stringer form and gets a gorgeous sheen on it. It can strike to a nice light purple too...very pretty!

nagi

Old 2008-05-03, 12:05pm
No Problem!

Sounds like Kugler Iris-gold to me. It's usually sold in 2-4mm dia and looks like a pale amber transparent prior to use.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-05-03, 4:36pm

I agree iris gold. Have some and sounds just like that. Barb
Old 2008-05-03, 5:47pm
yukue fumei

I thought iris gold is COE ~91-94?
bexrox mentioned the glass is all COE 104...?

nagi

Old 2008-05-05, 11:23am
No Problem!

It's closer to 96.. It's deemed compatible with 104 by most vendors, this may be why it was sold to you as such. It's generally fine for surface decoration and used by many this way.
No way to be certain that's what it is, but your description hits right on. Small diameter rod/stringer, pale yellow/amber transparent with metallic qualites when reduced. Definitely my best guess.

(Beau & Shani)