Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-15, 1:52pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Default Show me your Goldstone Ribbon Cane Beads and Vessels!

I'd like to see what others are doing the with the goldstone ribbon cane that's available. I make my own, and show my classes how to make it, and I may even start making enough of it to sell. But if no one likes it or is using it, then that would be pretty pointless, eh?

So I'd like to see what you're doing with it! Post yer purty pictures here!

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-15, 2:55pm
One of the Booger 7

Gotta fess up -- mine is still (from early December, i think) in the nice cardboard tube it came in on my headboard in the bedroom where NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE will touch/break it . . . . been meaning to get to it but haven't!

so -- i'm interested in others pictures too!

leslie

Old 2008-02-15, 3:22pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I learned how to make the ribbon cane in your class. The beads I used it on where christmas presents so I don't have them to take photos of but they were used on pens and everyone just loved them.

Old 2008-02-15, 4:55pm

Here is one with a really bad picture of it sorry

Old 2008-02-15, 5:08pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Excellent, Tracy! Wish I could have seen them, but I'm sure they were awesome

Josie, thank you! And I don't think that's a bad pic at all!

Here are two OLD (2003!!!) pics of my first ribbon cane beads. I wish my picture taking skills had been better then, as these photos don't do the cane justice. It was ivory, red, black and goldstone:

And here's a photo of a vessel currently in my Etsy shop. I've used ribbon cane on the neck, which is touch that I really like...

Also Available in

Old 2008-02-15, 5:12pm

See that is so fabulous, is that my prize for being the first to show a picture? HHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA
I didn't even think to melt it all the way in!! It is so delicate I was askeered to played with it to much!! Hee hee

Old 2008-02-15, 5:19pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Hey Josie, there's no right or wrong way to use it, provided it's affixed thoroughly enough that it won't pop off. I left it raised on my beads, and melted it in on my vessel.

I really need to do more with the patterned ribbon cane. It's so much fun!

Also Available in

Old 2008-02-15, 5:22pm

yes you do, that is gorgeous!! I was just playing a little because my friend hector sent me a smidge

Old 2008-02-16, 6:00pm

I really like the goldstone ribbon. I was given some to try and am hoping to buy more. I'm not sure I could make it as wide as what I was given. Here's a watch made with the only beads I've used it on.

Old 2008-02-16, 6:09pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Beautiful!

I usually pull my goldstone ribbon to about 1/4" wide. That's the main portion of the pull, of course. That seems to work pretty good for whatever I want to use it for.

I also take the already pulled down ribbon and apply it to NEW ribbon cane, as a stripe or accent. The beauty of it is that even after a second pull down to 2 or 3mm wide, it's just as intense and sparkly as ever.

I love goldstone. I should use it more often.

Also Available in

Old 2008-02-16, 6:24pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I tried draping it around some hollows...

Old 2008-02-16, 7:25pm
addicted to dichro

I think every bead I made for a week or so had goldstone in it after getting some ribbon. I mostly use it just like regular goldstone, swirled and encased in my florals for an extra little sparkle but it is fun to use as surface decoration too.
Attached Images

Old 2008-02-16, 7:49pm

Laurie and Mandy, those beads are gorgeous. I haven't left it rasied but if I get more, I think I will!

The stuff I have is about 10mm wide. I like the idea of using the last bit as accent on some ribbon cane. Thanks for the suggestion, Tink. I like the sparkliness (is that a word) of it, too!
Old 2008-02-17, 12:13am
I speak Murrini!

Wow, just beautiful!!! I love it in all applications here!

Tink, that vessel looks so elegant with that beautiful sparkling collar!
Laurie, how did you "work" the ribbon cane to do that lucious, delicate "drape" thing? Does it just "happen" that way in the flame?
Leslie and Josie - I'm with you! I'm skeered of it a bit myself! I have some I bought as soon as it became available from Reenie/FlameKissedGlass, and I've just been to hesitant to try it.

I've finally got a good grip on making stringers and, if I do say so myself, my vine canes (after about 100 practice "workouts") are really looking good! But RIBBON? I know better than to ask "how" - all the more reason to someday find a way to take a Tink class!

Thanks for starting this interesting thread - I'm ALMOST ready to bring it out and try it!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-02-17, 2:46am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Come join us in Eugene or Anchorage, DeAnne

Very nice work, everyone! Now I should start nagging everyone to make some striped ribbon cane.

Also Available in

Old 2008-02-17, 7:03am

Laurie, I love your beads!!! Hope to make smth like this but too afraid to use my goldstone ribbon

Old 2008-02-17, 7:26am
addicted to dichro

Here is another one I forgot about, even though its my favorite I think. lol
ETA, I melted the goldstone completely into the surface at the last moment before shaping using a cool flame so it didn't burn and would stay nice and gold.
Attached Images

Last edited by mandyjw; 2008-02-17 at 7:29am.
Old 2008-02-19, 4:09am
as in the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Come join us in Eugene or Anchorage, DeAnne

Very nice work, everyone! Now I should start nagging everyone to make some striped ribbon cane.
Oh dear. I'm going to have to remember how to make ribbon cane? Hee. Yay! More opportunity to practice! I'm going to have to dig out my goldstone and try some stringer. I have no goldstone ribbon...hrm..

-Amy