Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-21, 6:28am

Default Sugared Gum Drops??

I'm having a brain cramp and feel really stupid asking this question...can anyone tell me how to make beads that look like sugared gum drops? The outside of the bead is really bumpy and appears rough, as if it had sugar on it. I've seen them but I don't know how the outside appearance is made. Is it some sort of frit or baking soda?

Thanks in advance for your help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-21, 6:34am

Hi Barb
I believe you're talking about clear frit.

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2006-11-21, 6:41am

Wow...is that all it is? I should have figured it was something like that. Clear frit...and don't melt it in all the way. I am such a dummy! Must be old age.

Many thanks for the quick reply!

Blessings!

Old 2006-11-21, 6:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbFaughn View Post
Wow...is that all it is? I should have figured it was something like that. Clear frit...and don't melt it in all the way. I am such a dummy! Must be old age.

Many thanks for the quick reply!

Blessings!
HEY us "oldsters" got to stick together!!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2006-11-21, 6:50am

Isn't that the truth!!! Getting old is hell...

Old 2006-11-21, 6:50am

The only dumb question is the one that's not asked!

Warmly, Marie C
Old 2006-11-21, 10:09am
Missing presumed fed

Except -- I haven't had great results with these, so there's clearly a trick to it, or if not a trick, at least a knack. Anybody care to share secrets?
Old 2006-11-21, 10:28am

Here's a gum drop that I made last week - well maybe it's gum drop-ish. I made a fat disk and marvered one end to taper a bit. Please excuse the horrid picture - it's actually a scan, being the I'm camera challenged.

Roxanne
Attached Images

Old 2006-11-21, 10:57am
Crispy Critter

The first trick is to find the right size frit. Most of it is too big or too small for the look I want. The only place I could find it in the perfect size was at Glass Diversions.

The second trick is getting the frit all over the bead in an even layer. I make a narrow, deep trough out of aluminum foil and fill it with frit.

Then you want to melt it in just so there are no sharp edges, but not too much. I do this by sticking the bead in the cooler part of the flame, giving a quick roll and then pulling it out of the flame. Repeat as necessary.

Old 2006-11-21, 11:06am
koregon

hi there, I use a 00 size frit
looks just like sugar, I put it in a stainless ladel that has a slot cut out, so that I can roll the hot bead totally in the frit, the bead is already the shape you want it and formed perfect, because you only adding the frit and flashing it in back flame to get it to melt in "just enough" but not to much. you have to melt it some or the sugar will fall of the beads...if you melt it to much, you loose the texture...so its a quick roll in the high back flame like passing through, and into the kiln.

Old 2006-11-21, 11:07am
koregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
hi there, I use a 00 size frit
looks just like sugar, I put it in a stainless ladel that has a slot cut out, so that I can roll the hot bead totally in the frit, the bead is already the shape you want it and formed perfect, because you only adding the frit and flashing it in back flame to get it to melt in "just enough" but not to much. you have to melt it some or the sugar will fall of the beads...if you melt it to much, you loose the texture...so its a quick roll in the high back flame like passing through, and into the kiln.
ps...different brands of frit, can be a different grade/or size.

so its best to ask for sugar size

I bought some that was Gaffer in the same size the first time around and got flour like frit...ick ick

but 1 to me is almost to big.
I think I bought R frit last time...reichnback? SP? in 00

Old 2006-11-21, 11:30am

Be sure to stay out in the flame not near the candles
If you don't the frit will turn black

Old 2006-11-21, 11:35am
Enabler

The best trick I've found is using lead crystal frit. Got mine from Spiral Dance. I talked to Susan late last week, and she has an order in for more, and may have it restocked on her site by now. It's the perfect size, and its rounds up to remove the sharp edges quickly, but doesn't melt in too fast. It's a dream to work with!!

Old 2006-11-21, 11:58am
koregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiescreations View Post
Be sure to stay out in the flame not near the candles
If you don't the frit will turn black
yep, for sure, when I talk about flashing mine in the back flame..its like a good six inches from the candles of the torch. at least.