LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-13, 8:30am

Default Handy Andy's vs Peter's Tweezers?

Help?

The price difference is enormous. I have tungsten picks, if that makes a difference.
Old 2009-08-13, 8:40am

I think it is more a matter of style. With the Peter's Tweezers, you make the indnetions/placeholders with the tweezers, then use a tungsten pick to melt the glass for the hole. The Handy Andies sort of combine the procedure into one tool.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-08-13, 8:45am

Ahhhh...I see...given the price difference, I think I'll go with the Peter's Tweezers first and see how it goes. If i do well with it, I can upgrade!

Thank you!
Old 2009-08-13, 10:19am
HourGlass Studio

I have the peters tweezers and I make my holes in my pendants with them. I have tried both and prefer the tweezers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-08-13, 10:22am
No longer a Member

Default me

am using Peter's tweezer's right now and waiting for my pair of Handy Andy's to arrive from Mr. Ray......

I like the Handy Andy's better because I am a goof, I put my tools in the flame....and this thing will stand the abuse......

Great tool Andy!!!!!!!
Old 2009-08-13, 10:51am
boro color bender

I use both. If I want a dainty hole, I go with the Peters... if i am making a larger hole, I grab Andy and go for it... Both great tools and I wouldn't want to give either up.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-08-13, 10:53am
Did someone say SALE?

Anybody have a link for Peter's? Thx!
Old 2009-08-13, 11:05am

I've found the peter's tweezers at both Howaco and flamekissed glass.
Old 2009-08-13, 11:43am
Did someone say SALE?

Ok. Off to look... Thanks!!
Old 2009-08-13, 11:46am
I fart diamonds

Arrow Springs carries them, too. In fact, most suppliers who carry tools carry them. (Peter's Tweezers)

Old 2009-08-13, 12:00pm
ManBearPig

I have tried both of them and I think they are one of those things that you really don't need. I guess they make things a little quicker, but they don't do anything I can't do with just a plain tungsten poke. So, I guess the answer I would give is to get the cheaper one...

Old 2009-08-13, 12:12pm
No longer a Member

I got my Peter's Tweezers from Arrow Springs and Brent.........
Old 2009-08-13, 12:22pm

It's amazing what some suppliers do carry compared to what they don't, lol...I've got a shopping list I'll be buying soon and I swear I've hit everyone I can think of trying to find it all at one place.

Like-economy mashers, peter's tweezers and a sampler of GA frit. I think I'm going to post my shopping list in the customer service area and see if anyone can say they have all the items.
Old 2009-08-13, 12:29pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
It's amazing what some suppliers do carry compared to what they don't, lol...I've got a shopping list I'll be buying soon and I swear I've hit everyone I can think of trying to find it all at one place.

Like-economy mashers, peter's tweezers and a sampler of GA frit. I think I'm going to post my shopping list in the customer service area and see if anyone can say they have all the items.
Arrow Springs.

Old 2009-08-14, 10:20am
Pyromaniac

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with Handy Andy's. They can do pretty much what Peter's Tweezers do...or they can make the hole too.

I have both and while the Peter's Tweezers are nice, I LOVE my Handy Andy's.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-08-14, 3:31pm

The peter tweezers are much easier IMO. I used to use the peters and a tungsten pick. Now i just rock the peters and make a hole all in one motion.
Old 2009-08-14, 4:02pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg9403 View Post
The peter tweezers are much easier IMO. I used to use the peters and a tungsten pick. Now i just rock the peters and make a hole all in one motion.
The andys you mean?

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-08-14, 4:33pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Arrow Springs INVENTED the Peters Tweezers for me, get em from them!

They were originally designed to target eyes on fish so I could get the eyeballs into the same position on both sides of the critter.

But they work great for button shanks, which is what I mostly use em for. I make the original 'small dainty (thank you,Brent!)' hole with the PT's, then increase it to whatever size I want with a tungsten pick.

Peters Tweezers! Peters Tweezers! Zip Boom Bah!

*s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...