Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-04-22, 12:23pm
Yup.

Default Wanted: a few casual proof readers for The Joy of Stringer

First, let me be up front about this: There are no benefits to this job! I'll likely be inspired to send you a bead eventually, but that's about it. Oh, and you can help me look smarter and take credit for it. But that really is it. I would say that you'd get free tutorials, but they're going to be free anyway... so you just get to see them first, in progress and raw.

The job: Read through my new stringer tutorials and tell me: a) about typos or grammatical errors and such and b) give me feedback about anything related to the tutorial (wording, clarity, formating, questions about technique and whatever else pops into your head). I hope to finish the first few tutorials this week so I'll be sending you links to the tutorial websites (no PDFs or downloads) over the next several days and your feedback would be appreciated as soon as possible after that. I can't guarantee I'll make (or wait for) your suggested changes but I promise they'll be valued and considered (even if I've charged ahead anyway).

You as a candidate: I'm looking for a few people (maybe 3?) so that I will have a selection of feedback and so that you will not bear all responsibility for timely or thorough responses. I would hope you are a lampworker, experienced with tutorials from a variety of authors. I hope you write well (or at least better than I do). Finally, I hope that you are opinionated.

sneak peek: http://jcherrell.com/stringerjoy.htm

Any takers?? And PLEASE no PMs... My mailbox is 98% full and I don't want to deal with it. Post here if you're interested, please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Last edited by JCHerrellGlass; 2010-04-24 at 5:01pm.
Old 2010-04-22, 12:30pm

I'd be interested. I love to read, love glass, and am pretty good with grammar too!
Old 2010-04-22, 12:34pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I'm interested! I helped Cynthia Tilker proof her Keepers tutorial. I love editing!

Kelly

Old 2010-04-22, 12:50pm
Yup.

So that makes 6 volunteers already... I'll take until the end of the day or so to see who else volunteers and pick a few. How cool. Thank you guys SO much!!!

~
~

Last edited by JCHerrellGlass; 2010-04-22 at 12:54pm.
Old 2010-04-22, 12:59pm

I will be a back up if you like.
I am new to lampworking so I can offer a newbies perspective. Also...I have issues following written instructions (LOL...just ask every teacher I have ever had...I am a show me person) so if I can follow yours that would mean they are well written and easy to follow!
Lisa
Old 2010-04-22, 1:01pm

I'd be interested, and as I'm currently unemployed, I have nothing but time for torching and reading. I used to do proof-reading for my former employers (a bunch of engineers).

melanie
under construction -
Old 2010-04-22, 1:02pm
Corgi Lover

Sounds like fun. Count me in if you need someone.
Old 2010-04-22, 1:26pm
da General

JC - I have written tutorials, proofread a few for other authors, own many (too many!), am a graphic designer so can help with the presentation of information and layout, teach lampworking so can help with the clarity of the instruction . . . let me know if I can help!

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2010-04-22 at 1:42pm. Reason: addition
Old 2010-04-22, 1:39pm
Did someone say SALE?

I would love to help! I have no professional qualifications, other than being an avid tutorial purchaser. Keep me in mind if you need another pair of eyes and a few opinions.
Old 2010-04-22, 2:10pm
me and dh just starting

Thumbs up I'm up for it!

I am a newbie so you will get my impressions on it from that standpoint. Can I follow the tut? Understand the terms? etc.,

Sparkle
Old 2010-04-22, 5:44pm
glass is sooo...me!

I can help also if needed. I proof-read very well and am VERY opinionated. I have also layed out may a brochure.

KAren
Starfield Glass

Last edited by Starfield; 2010-04-22 at 6:52pm.
Old 2010-04-22, 6:14pm

I'd love to help you. I meet all your requirements I think! I used to help write published high school lab manuals and have edited for Australian publishers over the years. Addicted to lamp work for 6 years! Quick turn around as we are ahead of you in time!!!!

Cherry
Old 2010-04-22, 6:27pm
Bravewarrior stumblinbatt

I'm more than happy to offer my help if you would like someone from another part of the world to have a look. I've proof read a couple of other tutorials, from that perspective

~
~
~
Old 2010-04-22, 6:28pm
susanLambert

got enough? I am an old English teacher and like to proofread.
SusanLambert

Old 2010-04-22, 6:29pm
I think I could be a bead

I don't like to proof read, but I'd do it for you!

Old 2010-04-22, 7:16pm
MacGalver

I would be glad to help if you are still looking for proofreaders (though it certainly looks like you have plenty!). I've done tons of technical and how-to writing and worked as an editor and proofreader for 9 years. Been lampworking for a very long time and am fairly opinionated, but in a good way. LOL

Jo

Old 2010-04-22, 7:18pm
Lovin' that glass...

I can help you proof-read - I'm good at this as I worked for 15 years in the oil & gas industry as an Administrative Assistant (read that Secretary). I find goof-ups every time and I just hate 'em! You yours ..... to two too ... and also content and meaning. Let me at it - I'll be a good helper! Just ask MZ, she knows me... the laughing lady from the Dallas Craft Guild. Babette
Old 2010-04-22, 7:19pm
I speak Murrini!

Wow, you've had some great responses! You may be full-up with volunteers, but since I'm a Hot Head user, maybe I can offer a perspective from a user of THAT torch. Let me know if I can help...and great luck with it! Sounds like a "must have" to me!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-22, 7:29pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

wow, I think you might have more than enough to choose from, so I'll wait for the tutorial.
Must be great, considering the delicate string work you do.

Giving
a try!
Old 2010-04-22, 7:40pm
burnin' glass just becuz

one more if you need one...

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2010-04-22, 7:56pm
Yup.

holy overwhelming response. I have so many kind offers! But I think I have it (if they accept): someone I go way back with, someone I've never met, someone already super stoked on stringer, a witty self pro-claimed beginner and someone who may as well be a rocket scientist. Yay all of on all of that! Thank you.

Sneak peak at the almost done main menu (there's a mailing list link too): http://jcherrell.com/stringerjoy.htm

~
~
Old 2010-04-22, 10:09pm
I speak Murrini!

Glad you found someone JC! I checked out your sneak peek link and whoa, looks like some wonderful information and teaching will be coming our way...any idea when it will be "released"? Just wondering so I can start saving up...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-22, 10:15pm
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Glad you found someone JC! I checked out your sneak peek link and whoa, looks like some wonderful information and teaching will be coming our way...any idea when it will be "released"? Just wondering so I can start saving up...

De
Yeah... I found a ton of someones! I really feel the glass-world love tonight... (Though I also feel like I have my own criticism panel! )

Released soon, as in a week or less... maybe? Or at least those top three will be ready then, others as they happen. No need to save up because they're on a donation basis - contribute what you feel right contributing when you feel right doing it.

~
~
Old 2010-04-23, 3:10am
Knob Creek Glass

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! Hugs for doing these tuts.
Old 2010-04-23, 3:59am
mmmmm... scrumptious

Well I'm a bit late for this party, but I've always been so in awe of your stringer and enamel work. Can't wait to see it!

Old 2010-04-23, 10:00am
Hobby Junkie

Ooooo! I am so excited! I bought your enamels tutorial a while back, not because I have any interest in using enamels what so ever, but because of the info you included on using stringers. My stringer control stinks!

Old 2010-04-24, 4:51pm
Glassy Broad :-)

I have always been in awe of your stringer work JC.
I am so excited about this, woot!!!!!
I am sure this will help me more than just about any other tutorial out there, as this is the bane of my life, LOL!
Hugs
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-04-24, 5:53pm
Yup.

Thank, guys!!! I'm so stoked that you're excited about these. I'm working hard on them - crazy quantities of detail, I think. The first three (Pulling Stringer, Practice Tips & Ring Around a Bead) should be done in a few days!

~
~
Old 2010-04-24, 6:20pm

Default please please let me help

I love glass and love to learn. I also am a teacher of glass art such as stained glass, mosaic, fusing and lampwork so I think I would do a good job for you and would love to help you out.
Old 2010-04-25, 11:05am

Hey! I am a very good proofreader, and I would be happy to proof your work! I am also quite skilled as an editor. I am an 8 year veteran of glass beadmaking and am familiar with the drill...let me know!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com