LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-16, 8:08pm

Default Ergonomics - will creation station help?

My back/shoulders have been just killing me lately when I'm torching. I think the problem is that I am a bit hunched over when I work. I'm wondering if a creation station would help with this, or is it more for helping to steady oneself for detailed work? I don't have a problem with this. I do also get sore elbows from leaning against my work station though.

Does anyone have advice for good torching ergonomics period?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-09-16, 8:15pm
Catnip Pusher

The Creation Station is kind of expensive, and I tend to try simpler "fixes" first. (You can also read that as "cheaper!" ) I have a pair of kneepads (like for cycling) that I slip on my elbows so I can lean on the table without pain. They're nice because I don't have to re-position anything as they're attached to me!

I also found that chair height plays an important role in whether on not I will have back and shoulder pain after a torching session. Lowering my chair helps a lot - it forces me to sit up and actually gives me more stability.

Of course YMMV - but this does work for me, and you might try it before spending a lot of $$.

Aimee
Old 2013-09-16, 8:47pm

When I set up my workstation, I started by making my chair the right height (hips and knees should make 90-degree angles). Then I set the table at a good height (shoulders relaxed, elbows at 90-degree angles). I have long legs, so the chair is high and I had to add some plywood to the top of my table to get the right height. Then I set up my torch so my wrists stay straight when I'm working. I had wrist braces, so I put them on, and worked for a bit, adjusted the torch, worked a bit more, until it felt right.

Later, I padded the edge of my table with packing foam, and covered that with the shiny metal-covered tape. (Actually, I used duct tape first, dropped a bead on it which is STILL covered with melted duct tape goo, so I found a non-melting solution.)
Old 2013-09-16, 9:31pm
Mad about Glass

Creation station worked for me. No more sore back or shoulders - I've had mine for about 4 years and love it.

[url]

Old 2013-09-16, 9:56pm

I love my creation station too.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2013-09-17, 12:30am
I'm kinda biz-EE

I do love my creation station but if you're elbows are hurting you might try some pads under the elbows as Aimee suggested. Blue moon was making leather elbow pads as well but it looks as though they are sold out right now. You might message them and see when they will have them again.
http://www.austinbluemoon.com/catalo...Fcategory%3D28

Old 2013-09-17, 3:33am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
The Creation Station is kind of expensive, and I tend to try simpler "fixes" first. (You can also read that as "cheaper!" ) I have a pair of kneepads (like for cycling) that I slip on my elbows so I can lean on the table without pain. They're nice because I don't have to re-position anything as they're attached to me!

I also found that chair height plays an important role in whether on not I will have back and shoulder pain after a torching session. Lowering my chair helps a lot - it forces me to sit up and actually gives me more stability.

Of course YMMV - but this does work for me, and you might try it before spending a lot of $$.

Aimee
I agree with this. I have an adjustable height chair and it makes a huge difference. I got a creation station but sold it when I realized it only annoyed me by being in the way when I didn't want to use it.

I like the knee pad idea Aimee!

~

Old 2013-09-17, 3:47am

I use a pair of chamois leather car sponges for my elbow rests! They just singe slightly if you drop anything on them.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-09-17, 7:51pm
I'm meeeeelting

If you're hunched over, it sounds like you're sitting too low for your torch height. Either raise the torch or lower the chair. For elbow pain, I'd recommend using arm rests instead of elbow rests.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-09-17, 7:58pm
Catnip Pusher

The reason I don't like arm rests is that (for me) they seem to restrict movement. When I was leaning on arm rests I found I didn't have the fine detailed movements I needed.

Are there any other lampworkers close to you who have setups you can try out?

Aimee