No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-25, 4:13pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Default Passing The Flame

I am wondering whether or not at this time to buy passing the flame. I have Bandu Dunham's Contemporary Lampworking 1&2, kimberly adams complete book of glass beadmaking, and cindy jenkins making glass beads.

Everyone recommends passing the flame and I know corrina is an artist I would love to learn from.

How do I decide how many books, how much glass, how many tools? ya know what I mean???
get the book now? early on? buy glass? save for an expensive tool? put in ventilation, wait first I need to be able to walk into that room where it is going, a whole other story that I've written about elsewhere.

I just wanted input because I really respect the opinions of the good people here.

I've been really grateful to have this resource, you are an amazing bunch, and if Corri reads this, thank you.

Namaste
Rowyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-25, 4:20pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Welcome! I would highly recommend buying it! Sit down and read through the whole book.I still refer to mine all the time.Another great book is Jim Kervin's, More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Lampworking.

Old 2011-03-25, 4:54pm

I bought PTF... read it and then sold it - ummm I have to say that I found more knowledge on LE and other lampworking sites.. but thats just my opinon

Old 2011-03-25, 6:50pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Sorry,the name of Jim Kervin's book is More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Glass Beadmaking. I'm a " hands on" person. I like having these books in my studio to refer to.

Old 2011-03-25, 7:29pm

I like all the detail that PTF shows me. As a newbie I have enjoyed having it. Frantz has it for the best price I think right now unless someone on LE wants to sell theirs.
Old 2011-03-25, 8:16pm
Sheila Davis Designs

DH got mine on Amazon.

Old 2011-03-25, 8:55pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

I love passing the flame! I definitely recommend it and I bought it early on when I first started lampworking. I still read it and oogle over it. Her colors are amazing and so is her technique. I also love her stringer video as well. The only 2 books I ever bought were hers and Cindy Jenkins. I've since gotten rid of Cindy's because it was just basic stuff. Corina's is good for drool factor and when I get stumped. She gives me inspiration.

I know what you mean about buying stuff early on when you first start. I still struggle with that. You always want everything to help you get better. I am always making lists of things I want first, second and so on. I also keep an eye on the garage sale and see if there are things I'd rather move up my lists of wants or needs.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2011-03-25, 9:11pm

It would depend on where in lampwork you are. I think most everyone would learn something from this book but newbies would definitely benefit. She shows how to make a bead talks about flame chemistry, how to place dots, how to make triangles, dicusses colors and special reactions, floral beads, silver, and more that I can't remember off the top off my head. I got this book with a month or so of starting lampwork and don't regret it one bit. I took an 18hr class and learned so much from this book. Corina puts examples of most of the techniques with step by step instructions that are so easy to follow and so easy to sucessfully make the bead. The other thing I have noticed is that it holds it's value pretty well from what I have seen in the garage sale, I wouldn't sell mine though, I love it!
Old 2011-03-25, 9:15pm
Glass-aholic

ehh... I D K... I bought it because everyone said i HAD TO HAVE IT!!!! Mind you I did not buy it until I was 10 yrs into it, and the only books I had ever seen were Cindy Jenkins 2 books, the making glass beads one, and the beads of glass one with the artists info. (I really like that one) And the DOTS book. (the first one)

When I finally broke down and bought Passing the flame ($75), I was disappointed a bit. I think I had too much expectation of it... Mind you over the past 4 or 5 years, I have grabbed it a few times, and I did actually read the entire thing, and then went back... It was inspirational more so than informative for me. MAINLY because It is a great beginner book, and while it would have been very helpful then, It seemed to allude me to its greatness. I must admit that I do reference it more now if I need to refresh my memory or just for ideas and inspiration more than the other books I have.

All in all its really not a bad book. It was a bit pricey for me. (I dont have a lot of cash to spend on anything, never-mind glass) But I do like the fact that is does relatively hold its value pretty well. If you get a copy and decide that you want your money back, it can go up in the garage, and you can probably get what you paid for it.

I really do reference it now. I just usually reference LE first!
I think it can be a bit overwhelming to some beginners as well. It has a lot in it, no doubt, and I have grown fond of it over the years...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-25, 9:22pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

I have PTF and it was a good book to get me started and through the first year. I like that it explains "how to" with alot of basic techniques. I did feel it was a bit "cutesy" in the way it was written but overall informative. I am a bit of a rebel in my artistry and as soon as I had the training wheels off I just had to find my own way and then got addicted to silver glass and started working boro as well.

In answer to one of your other questions.............THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH GLASS!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2011-03-26, 5:24am
Mary Lockwood

These come and go through the garage sale here at LE pretty frequently. Depending on where you are skill-wise, it might be a good book for you. Pick up a copy here at LE. You could always resell it if it's not what you need.

~~Mary

Old 2011-03-26, 7:47am

PTF is the one book that I own that I never ever ever lend out.

Anything else in my library, book-video-dvd, is available to borrow but NOT PTF.
I do highly recommend this book. I will say, though, that I've read her info on ventilation isn't great but I had all that information before the book. The bead instructions and photos are solid gold in my opinion.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-03-26, 7:55am
Life is change. Love it

It's a great beginner book. Keep in mind she wrote it a long time ago, there is nothing in there about silver glass or any of the CIM colours, or anything else introduced in the last few years.

Frankly, I haven't looked at it for years, I should probably sell it.

Old 2011-03-26, 9:38am

I have both Cindy Jenkins - 'Making Glass Beads' and Corrina's - 'Passing The Flame'. I learned how to flamework with Cindy's book but found that PTF goes into better detail and a lot further instrution with different methods, ie; silver foil beads and stringer, frogs and scuptural beads and I found her info on making stringers better than in Cindy's bk. PTF #2 also goes into more detail on poking and flowers and encasing also! IMO Don't get me wrong - both books are great and Cindy's is a great book but Corrina's just takes things a little further!

LynieG
Old 2011-03-26, 10:11am

I have Bandu Dunhams books and have checked out Kimberly Adams book from the Library. By far my favorite is Passing the Flame. I am very new at lampworking and the step by step pictures and text are understandable and easy to follow. I am going through it chapter by chapter and trying to make the beads she shows. When I muff a bead, I go back and re-read and can usually figure out what I did wrong. Winship has it on sale this month for $52.50.
Old 2011-03-26, 6:21pm
Linda

Passing the Flame is my all-time favorite book. I do have lots of other books, but I keep going back to this one for inspiration or for a "refresher" course when I have been away from the torch for a long time. I highly recommend it.

Linda
Old 2011-03-26, 6:32pm

Passing the Flame, Revised second edition, is my favorite and I reread parts of it lots of times! It was a gift from dh several years ago and I will never give it up even though I have many more, too!
Old 2011-03-26, 6:45pm
Oinky Oink!

Rowyn,
Have you checked your library?
I was amazed how many different books libraries have on glass beads and lampwork. As cheap as I am, I fully utilize my free resources..

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-03-26, 7:46pm

YES vote for PTF....one can NEVER have too many books! )))))

Old 2011-03-26, 8:09pm

I learned to lampwork from PTF. Got a torch set up, read the book, went to work. I highly recommend it. I've now taken many classes but when a shape isn't working for
me or I want to try a new direction I go back to PTF. It's a book to keep. Good luck with your adventure into glass.
Old 2011-03-26, 8:22pm
Chief Creative Goddess

I think you will like it and get lots out of it. I know I have.
PTF has a TON of photos--one of my favorite things about it!
Your public library is one of the best tools to use--you can check out what they have, read it or skim it and not feel like you invested money on a book you were ok about, instead of a book (or more glass!! or a cool new tool!!!) you were wild about.
Old 2011-03-26, 11:08pm

Here's my general rule: when it comes to glass, just buy everything whether you can afford it or not.

But seriously, I love Corina's book! I still refer to it sometimes and I've been lampworking for 7 years! To me, it's like a collector's item. (Is that weird?)

Old 2011-03-27, 6:27am
Triumphantly Knit!

continuing thanks.....I'm a library fan. My public library has jack when it comes to lampwork. great idea, though....

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible