Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-07-02, 6:18pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Exclamation What went wrong?!?!?

We had a fire. It appears that the hose connected to my torch melted at the connector to the torch and blew off. I jumped back quickly enough, but there was flame spewing out of the end of the hose. I was able to put the fire out relatively quickly with the fire extinguisher and sent my husband outside to turn off the tank. When I was working on my torch last night I noticed the valve knob was hot, but I didn't think it was THAT hot, and today the hose melted, and I had a fire.

Ok, so is this a one-in-a-million chance or does this sort of thing happen often?!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

#M-191

Last edited by Lyssa; 2011-07-02 at 6:29pm.
Old 2011-07-02, 6:28pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

OMG.. so glad you are safe, that could have been really bad

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-07-02, 6:30pm
Nikki Haverstock

Can you describe your setup? Do you have a back flow preventer ? ( if that the correct term!? Anyone anyone?)
Old 2011-07-02, 6:34pm

No back flow preventer. I'm on a hot head.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-07-02, 6:37pm
Nikki Haverstock

Are you using a small #1 canister or bulk propane?
Old 2011-07-02, 6:37pm

Bulk, which is outside, and the hose goes through the window.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-07-02, 6:42pm
Nikki Haverstock

I am sorry, I don't know that set up. Hopefully someone with experience can pipe up. But that is not normal and should not be happening. I highly highly recommend Not torching with your set up.
Old 2011-07-02, 6:43pm
Nikki Haverstock

And I want to add good luck in figuring it out.
Old 2011-07-02, 6:45pm

The lady at Hot Head Source said that was a batch of bad torches. She's sending me a new one for free. But now I'm wondering if I should just go to propane/oxy. I really didn't want to, but with the slowness of the hot head and now this... *sigh*

And the problem wasn't the torch itself, but the hose melted. So, yeah, the torch got too hot all the way down. Not supposed to happen, according to the lady at Hot Head Source.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-07-02, 6:56pm
Loving learning

Thank goodness you had a fire extinguisher handy. And had the presence of mind to grab & use it quickly, and had DH handy to shut off the propane!
Old 2011-07-02, 7:16pm
THE PEN IS BLUE!!!

oh my goodness, so glad your okay.

As for switching torches, I was on my HH for 7 years, and never really wanted to switch. In may I bought a cricket, and it was SUCH a good trade. My beads are so much better (i think) than they were. colors brighter, clear is CLEAR and now I can do Boro!!

Old 2011-07-02, 8:43pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
The lady at Hot Head Source said that was a batch of bad torches. She's sending me a new one for free. But now I'm wondering if I should just go to propane/oxy. I really didn't want to, but with the slowness of the hot head and now this... *sigh*

And the problem wasn't the torch itself, but the hose melted. So, yeah, the torch got too hot all the way down. Not supposed to happen, according to the lady at Hot Head Source.
Several scenarios...

IT could have been a failure at torch connection, it leaked and produced a flame and burnt hose off...

I could have been a defective hose and blown hose off torch connector and caught fire...

Would have to actually see pictures of hose and torch to tell what happened....

Maybe its time to graduate to oxy/fuel torch....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-07-02, 9:42pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Maybe its time to graduate to oxy/fuel torch....

Dale
So you are saying the HH torch is not safe for anyone anymore?? Maybe I'm missing something here.

If she gets a new torch, a new hose, and another tank set-up, I would think that she would be okay then??
Old 2011-07-02, 10:52pm

My husband explained that it was an unfortunate combination of overly-hot torch and a crappy Chinese hose fitting with mostly non-existent teethy things. The heat from the torch softened the hose and it slipped off it's fitting.

Sarah at Hot Head Source is sending me a new torch that won't get overly-hot, and we need to find a better hose. Any suggestions on the hose?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-07-03, 6:19am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

And when ever you fit a hose over a fitting, please do use a clamp to secure it!!!
Old 2011-07-03, 6:55am
addicted to dichro

Where did you get the hose?

Old 2011-07-03, 7:42am
Dichro Addict

I'm so glad you didn't get hurt!

Old 2011-07-03, 7:46am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
So you are saying the HH torch is not safe for anyone anymore?? Maybe I'm missing something here.

If she gets a new torch, a new hose, and another tank set-up, I would think that she would be okay then??
No I am not saying a HH is unsafe, I saying that with the limitations of a HH and the way it has to be setup, maybe one would be more comfortable and more creative and productive with a system that is better than a HH...

Dale

Old 2011-07-03, 7:53am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
My husband explained that it was an unfortunate combination of overly-hot torch and a crappy Chinese hose fitting with mostly non-existent teethy things. The heat from the torch softened the hose and it slipped off it's fitting.

Sarah at Hot Head Source is sending me a new torch that won't get overly-hot, and we need to find a better hose. Any suggestions on the hose?
"Mostly non existent teethy things" are called "barbs"

Try to find hose made in US of A and from reputable manufacturer and check markings on hose to see that it really is LPG gas certified to 350 psi...

Fault in hot from HH and new torch is not going to make any difference.... Fault lies in poor CHINES PRODUCT and retailer who is not aware of the crap product they are selling.....

Does not matter if its on a hose on a HH or back yard BBQ, or a weed burner or turkey frier, IT SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED....

There ere so many hose manufacturers out there its hard to recommend and specific one....

Dale

Old 2011-07-03, 7:59am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
And when ever you fit a hose over a fitting, please do use a clamp to secure it!!!
This hose in question is a manufactured hose with a machine compressed ferrule and should be better than any home made hose ....

Unfortunately the cheap import is not manufactured to quality standards we should be expecting....

But yes bottom line is all hoses should have a clamping device of some sort on them....

Dale

Old 2011-07-03, 8:00am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
Where did you get the hose?
Yes and send them a message that they are selling a inferior product....

Dale

Old 2011-07-03, 8:22am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thanks for clarifying that Dale, and I am just so glad that Lyssa you were able to react so fast and get it under control. Fast thinking is not easy in a situation like that!
Old 2011-07-03, 8:48am

With a bulk tank and no Flashback protection this could have been a disaster! If I have to use this type of fitting I always prefer to clamp it myself. Good to hear that no one was hurt.
Old 2011-07-03, 10:10am

When using a Hothead on a bulk tank, you are putting full pressure from your tank on the hose (which is not good). If you are going to continue to use this type of setup you should at least use a regulator directly attached to the tank so that the hose does not have 100's of lbs of pressure on it. Also, don't use cheap Chinese crap . I'm glad you did not blow yourself up, that would have been horrible.
Old 2011-07-03, 1:05pm

Wow, how scary. Glad you are ok.

My Ebay
Old 2011-07-03, 3:02pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Mike H
HH torches are designed to work on tank pressure. There was some discussion re HH and regulators on here a week or so ago. The conclusion was that a minimum of 60 PSI was needed to run a HH reliably but that a few people had managed to get/keep one running as low as 45psi. These were exceptions to the rule. I attribute that to variations in torch manufactureing tolerances. As Dale says, cheapass chinese products have proven again and again to be inferior and dangerous at best and deadly in some cases. Also note that the incident happened with a bad torch that is being replaced. It should not happen again with the new torch and if a new proper hose with clamp is used.
Old 2011-07-04, 1:33am

I could be wrong but I believe the hose was purchased at Walmart in the camping department (about 4 years ago, but maybe had 20 hours of use on it). Yeah, yeah, now I know better. I hate Walmart.

Barbs, check.
Hose clamp, check.
New Hot Head, coming in the mail.

BUT: spent the day playing on a friend's Minor at her house. I don't think I'll ever go back to the Hot Head again. Still need the hose clamp, though.

(I wonder what my guardian angel's name is. He does good work.)

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-07-05, 11:05am

Glad you are ok! I upgraded to a minor right after taking my class on a hot head. You will love it.
Old 2011-07-05, 3:16pm

My hubby just changed my hoses this past weekend and after clamping took some dish detergent and water and brushed it around the hose ends clamped to show if there was still any leakage..that's always something good to do.
So glad you are ok..how scary!
"

Old 2011-07-05, 7:43pm

Oh my goodness, so scary. I'm glad you are OK.

Become a fan on Facebook: