Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2011-09-22, 4:44am

Default Lynx question

Hi guys! I currently have a cricket and like it very much but I'm considering upgrading to a Lynx. If I do that, do I need to get additional concentrator or still use the EX15 that I have. I've heard that I need something like a regalia to run the Lynx perfectly

Thanks

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-22, 7:24am

Define what you mean by "perfectly".
Old 2011-09-22, 7:26am
Superkitty

What type of work do you want to do with it? Boro, soft glass, small pieces, sculptural work?
Old 2011-09-22, 9:46am
PyronamixK

You could run it as is or add another EX15 (or similar) to it to get a little more out of it.

Since you already have a machine, it might make more sense to just try it on that single machine and then add a second if it isn't enough. If you were starting out without a machine, I would have advised getting a different machine to run the Lynx (like a Regalia or another 10 LPM machine). The Lynx does better on 10 LPM 9 psi than 8 LPM 15 psi.
Old 2011-09-22, 12:41pm

I was running a lynx on a OG 15 that put out around 7 LPM at about 9 psi. I could do Boro mainly because of the triple mix. I worked the center valve heavy creating a thin long very hot focused flame.

I now have the new OG 20 that run at 20 psi and 13 lpm And it Rocks the lynx. I looked hard at the Regalia and was very impressed with that unit as well. It came down to a great deal the OG rep made me at the gathering two years ago.

Go for the lynx its a fantastic torch. And it will hold is resale value.

Scott

ESTY
Old 2011-12-13, 12:05am
Intermembrane Time Travel

Sooooooo I have a question, that is different than the OP, but since there is already a "Lynx Question" thread I figured it might be best asked here. I just started mine up tonight for the first time (used to have a national m8 with largest tip and the rider on top) and I was wondering what kind of pressure people were using. The data sheet it came with says 5 -8 psi propane, and i think 12 to 15 psi oxygen if my memory serves (could go outside and check the paper, but taking a break for a moment) Sooo I guess I am wondering what people are operating at and if they have a reason other than they set it at such and such a psi and never found a reason to change it.

Does running at the lower number on both accounts have a specific effect? Do you get more heat by running a few psi higher toward the high recommended number? I just tried to set it in the middle and hope for the best. Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful, be it with a lynx or someone who is experienced with the larger gtt torches (and the center fire of said larger torches).

I should also have an m20 oxy con on the way, was considering the regalia, but when it came down to it, I just couldn't afford it at the moment. Also I plan to hook up the oxy con and a tank at the same time, and let the oxycon do most of the work and let the tank pick up where it leaves off. I will be glad to post pics and or videos of what it looks like and how it runs on tanked vs an m20 if it seems helpful for anyone.
Old 2011-12-13, 12:19am

I run mine at 5psi propane and 25 psi oxygen from a tank. Did a lot of experimenting before I settled on these numbers. These were the most efficient.
Old 2011-12-13, 2:55am

Interesting, I may have to play around with my psi settings a bit. I made my first piece in 4 years or so tonight, and I must say even though it was basically a dud, I had a lot of fun finally getting on the torch again. It def will take some practice to get used to setting the flame to exactly what im wanting in the wink of an eye like I used to, not to mention the rather concentrated heat that thing puts out! OOO boy!
Old 2011-12-14, 3:20am

Second day back on the torch, still messing up a bunch of glass, but it will just take time. Starting to understand how to dial in the lynx's tiny pin flames and such and swing back to a semi bushier one so it is more like a dynamic version of the minor top rider torch I used to use for a similar flame. I am surprised that I tend to use the secondary oxygen at this point more so than the main oxy (which seems more set it forget it style). Of course im just toying with the tiny minor burner like flames at the moment and getting comfortable with them. I will eventually try to move it up a notch and dial between bushy meltdown flames and the small points and in-between.

I also noticed on some tube I had knife scored and cut to lengths that it seems where the cut was made I tend to be getting bubbles pretty consistently (the strange defective streaks/lines in some of the tube don't help things either lol). Not sure if I am scoring too hard (knife is new and I was used to something duller from use when last i worked) and its cutting the glass more than i want, or if I need to totally reassess where I should start a piece out in distance from the torch/candles. Might just be blasting them way too hard/close, thing is so quiet it can be hard for me to know just how hot it really is getting (no HIIIIIIISSSSSSSS of the premix ;D) Tempted to start up a glass blowing daily log or maybe blog, might be good to help set goals and work toward them and get back to where I need to be to make stuff that doesn't end up as duds or with imperfections.
Old 2011-12-15, 10:31am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Cut or scored broken edges almost always give me a really bubbly edge that has to be skimmed off. I usually just start in the middle of a rod, melt it in two, add a handle, melt a section off for a marble, rince and repeat until the rod is sectioned into all marble blanks.
Old 2011-12-15, 2:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Cut or scored broken edges almost always give me a really bubbly edge that has to be skimmed off. I usually just start in the middle of a rod, melt it in two, add a handle, melt a section off for a marble, rince and repeat until the rod is sectioned into all marble blanks.
Same here. I just heat the cut end of the rod and tweeze the bubbly part off.
Old 2011-12-23, 12:36am

I am using small tubing that I need cut to around 5 to 6 inches and torch cutting it doesnt seem like the best use of gas and production time. I think I may try to score them a lot lighter than I was before. I never used to have this problem with basically the same tube. The two changing factors are new torch and new scoring knife that I currently have to look to for the bubbles I think. Wish me luck hehe. Just annoying if I am making 200 pieces in a day and adding the step of trying to pinch or pull off bubbles from that many will add up in time and gas supply I figure.
Old 2011-12-24, 9:46am

for production i would flame cut. gas should be the least of the costs.