Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-12-13, 8:54am

Default Trey Corrnette's tutorial for building and oxy holding tank for OXY gen?

Have any of your Boro experts tried this? I would be interested to get everyone's opinion.

http://www.treycornette.com/category_23/Tutorials.htm
Old 2010-12-13, 12:32pm
Torch junkie

I built one according to Trey's instructions and it works great! It helps to even out the flow of oxygen to the torch and I run my lynx with no worries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2010-12-13, 1:43pm
Hobby Junkie

Sangell - Thanks for posting a thread about it. I was curious too.

Old 2010-12-13, 4:11pm
put a bird on it

Yes, DH built one for me when I had my minor & wanted more heat for boro. Worked great!
Old 2010-12-13, 6:36pm
2 Red Dogs

Did you do anything special to clean out the tank? I read there may be oil from production of the tank left inside.

Cricket & EX 15
Old 2010-12-16, 8:27am
aka Spawn Of Flame

We built one too, but I'm only using it for soft glass - until the weekend - then I'm breaking out the boro. It does prevent that "breathing" that you can get from a concentrator.

It never occurred to me to clean out the tank.

--
--
--

Old 2010-12-16, 8:59am

Default Reply to Rose

I heard from Trey, he said as long as you use a new tank there is no issue.

Thanks for the reply
S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarie23 View Post
We built one too, but I'm only using it for soft glass - until the weekend - then I'm breaking out the boro. It does prevent that "breathing" that you can get from a concentrator.

It never occurred to me to clean out the tank.
Old 2010-12-16, 12:25pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangell View Post
I heard from Trey, he said as long as you use a new tank there is no issue.

Thanks for the reply
S

Good. 'Cause I didn't...

--
--
--

Old 2010-12-16, 12:31pm
Formerly Bakerman44

think you could amp up the system and make it run a bigger torch like a mirage or something? im trying to find an alternative to buying oxy tank after oxy tank and i have a mirage on order.

Old 2010-12-16, 1:11pm

This sounds like a great idea. Could anyone help me with what I would need to set up an ex-15 holding tank with a lynx or should I get another gen as well?
Old 2010-12-16, 4:32pm

Cornbread. The answer to your question is No. What you need to understand is the tank will only hold excess oxygen at the pressure the concentrator can delvers into it. A Mirage need around 36 psi to run it.

So if you have a concentrator with an output of 10 psi the tank would be the same.

Scott

ESTY
Old 2010-12-16, 11:28pm
Formerly Bakerman44

that makes sense. well it looks like im going to have to put on my negotiating hat and see if i can get liquid at a good rate..im spending 200 a month on bottles. and lugging them around myself.

Old 2010-12-25, 1:34pm
Enjoying Life

Oxy costs about $20 a K tank here in CA. The Dewar rental with the equivalent of about 21 K tanks in liquid is between $160 and $175. But you have to use it or lose it. Sounds like it would be great for you, Cornbread. My Cheetah loves oxy, but my Mirage really loves oxy, Cricket… not so much.

Last edited by Hangs Well; 2010-12-25 at 1:37pm.
Old 2010-12-26, 12:13pm

My son built one for me. I have notices a definite difference. What I don't understand is that the gauge on the tank is not showing PSI. Is that right or did we do something wrong?
Old 2010-12-26, 1:28pm
Torch junkie

It all depends on the size of your concentrator as to weather or not anything will register on the tank gauge. One or even two 5lpm concentrators connected together will not put out enough pressure to make the gauge on the holding tank show anything, but the tank does restrict enough pressure to even out the flow to the torch and make things a little hotter. I hooked my holding tank up to an EX15 and the gauge did start to show some pressure in the holding tank, but that is a larger machine.

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2010-12-26, 3:30pm
Formerly Bakerman44

The rental for any sized tank, including liquid oxy tank with my oxygen company is $0.29 a day. The non-negotiated price is $245 a fill. Then delivery charges. If I can get the fill price down I may go liquid the day my mirage gets here.

Old 2010-12-27, 3:05am

I live in British Columbia Canada. Tanks here rent cheap enough, but the fill on one I can move is 40 dollars a shot and I can go through that in 4 - 8 hours depending on what I am doing. One day of working at the torch so it became way too expensive and inconvenient.. I got a great deal on 2 5 lpm concentrators that I have connected to my Nortel minor. I have a National 3A on the way so thought I would try this.
Old 2010-12-27, 12:34pm
Torch junkie

Queenofwords,
I have run my national 3A with a #3 single orifice oxy tip, on 2 5lpm concentrators with the holding tank and it does just fine. With a #2 oxy tip It does ok on one concentrator. One of the tricks to using the 3A is finding the right tip that works for your needs. The #3 tip is a good all purpose tip to start out with.