No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-14, 7:08am
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default Gai-faux boro

I think you all said you could use silvered glass to get the faux boro effect. Do you think Gai would work. I ordered a whole pound when I bought a tutorial, and I cant get gai to do anything silvery effect...wondering if it would work for the faux boro, anyone use gai with their faux boro technique?

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2011-08-14, 10:02am
Companion

Do you mean Gaia from DH? It's transparent green in the rod.
Don't you cry no more
Old 2011-08-14, 10:05am
Boheme Flamework Designs

What base did you put it on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deb Cline
Old 2011-08-14, 10:33am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Try Gaia with some black nebula frit, reduce and encase in a nice clear...might work

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-08-14, 11:13am
Formerly Kellyhorton

I havent tried anything yet, was hoping for suggestions. This is my main obstacle in making beads. I have no creativitiy when it comes to coming up with ideas. I can make jewelry all day long, but that creativity does not come over to bead making. ten years making frit beads, and I still really havent progressed beyond that. I have a pound of gaia and no clue what to do with it since Ive never been able to get a reaction out of it except from the ether beads (tutorial). thanks for the suggestions. I need to get some reactive frits, since i dont have any, thought Id try to see if anyone had some suggestions for me with the silvered glass. thanks for your help!!! off to play some...

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2011-08-14, 11:47am
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly designs 56 View Post
I havent tried anything yet, was hoping for suggestions. This is my main obstacle in making beads. I have no creativitiy when it comes to coming up with ideas. I can make jewelry all day long, but that creativity does not come over to bead making. ten years making frit beads, and I still really havent progressed beyond that. I have a pound of gaia and no clue what to do with it since Ive never been able to get a reaction out of it except from the ether beads (tutorial). thanks for the suggestions. I need to get some reactive frits, since i dont have any, thought Id try to see if anyone had some suggestions for me with the silvered glass. thanks for your help!!! off to play some...
This is going to sound bitchy, but you say you aren't creative about coming up with new bead ideas, and yet you just did. If you have Gaia, and wonder if it will give you the faux boro effect, the best way to find out is to TRY IT.

Seriously, coming up with new ideas is hard, but it is impossible if you don't follow through. The best way to come up with some fabulous new bead is to make a lot of crap along the way. Each bead that doesn't turn out the way you wanted is a learning experience. Without them, you'll never grow.

You have to be willing to fail in order to succeed.

Old 2011-08-14, 12:07pm

Amen, Toni. I couldn't have said it better.

Spoken from the girl who one time gave 9 pounds of test/experimental beads to BOC.

Bullet with 2 15lp oxycons
Old 2011-08-14, 1:28pm

I totally agree, Toni. Experimenting is the best way to discover all sorts of things!! It's also the best way to find your creativity.

Old 2011-08-14, 1:31pm

I love Gaia - i reduce and encase it for the best effect.

SRA #C88

Old 2011-08-14, 2:32pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

I agree with the crappy bead statement. I make a LOT of crappy beads. I have a whole bowl full I call the "island of misfit beads". If you've got a pound of Gaia, then call it "tuition" and start playing! Try triton frit or other DH and see where you end up.

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-08-14, 3:47pm
Grateful

I haven't had a lot of luck encasing Gaia-it tends to lose its luster and turn back to a transparent green under encasement for me-just my two cents.

Last edited by turtleshelle; 2011-08-14 at 4:31pm.
Old 2011-08-14, 4:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleshelle View Post
I haven't had a lot of luch encasing Gaia-it tends to lose its luster and turn back to a transparent green under encasement for me-just my two cents.
What Michelle said in my experience with the hothead. I like it used uncased and lightly reduced - a very pretty glass.

Re the "beads gone bad" comments: I had two prime contenders as I attempted to make long beads this weekend - ruined 2 very labor intensive focals (1-2 hours a piece) - one had an end crack off as I removed it from the mandrel and one had an end crack off while I worked on it. Guess 2 + inches in length with lots of surface detail is pushing the limit for me. Ah well - you do learn this way - just frustrating sometimes.

Enjoy your Gaia - you might get some ideas by searching this forum with the word: gaia.

Last edited by Vicki B.; 2011-08-14 at 4:09pm.
Old 2011-08-14, 6:35pm
I like to melt things

If you can't get any reactions out of Gaia you really need to spend some time just using it. It is one of the easier silver glasses to get nice reduction with. It is sort of a hard silver glass to reduce and encase because it loses it's reduction if you get it too hot quite a bit more easily than some of the other reduction colours.

I don't want to sound like a meanie but it's sort of lazy to ask other people to do your thinking and experimenting for you. Play with it! "waste" a bunch of it learning what not to do! And try it on top of canyon de chelly that has been rolled in silver leaf and reduce it.

-
-
Old 2011-08-15, 6:50pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Thanks for the suggestions. Cant wait to try them.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2011-08-15, 6:53pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

I have black nebula shards, will try it, thanks a bunch for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlowerBead View Post
Try Gaia with some black nebula frit, reduce and encase in a nice clear...might work

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2011-08-16, 2:59am

Or you can just use Boro . Gaia Is a really fun color......Play play and play. Reduce it lightly to get a blue shimmer on top of green. Reduce it a lot to get hard silvered concentrate cream. Play with it both ways by encasing the lightly reduced with clear frit then adding a heavy reduction. Then twisting then together.

This is a boro set. But you can get something close to this with gaia. Just add clear frit. in-between reductions. Add some kronos frit or some cobalt frit. Then encase the whole bead.

You will not get the same blue. And you'll get brighter greens. Bet'cha you'll get the same creams

Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2011-08-16 at 3:27am.
Old 2011-08-16, 7:37am

Guy Fawkes boro?