Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-21, 10:30am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Default CIM Azure boiling/pitting?

Used my CIM Azure for the first time this weekend and it was getting that horrible boiling/pitting that Turquoise often gets. Anyone else get that? On the CIM website it does address that problem and says that it's caused by a "hose issue" but I was wondering if anyone else has seen the problem and come up with a solution. I'm not ready to take my entire rig apart quite yet to solve the problems I'm having with one color of glass.

I did notice that if I pulled the glass way out in the flame the boiling/pitting did NOT stop, but if I put it REALLY close to the torch, it did. WTF? Also, once I got the boiling/pitting to stop, the bead ended up nice and smooth. Once the bead was cool it did NOT have any pits left in it like Turquoise does when you pull it out of the kiln. I was using the Azure to encase Coconut rather thinly, so I can't really tell if the transparent Azure is left foggy/scummy from the pitting that occurred in the flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

#M-191
Old 2013-02-21, 12:12pm
sunscreen me baby

You just answered your own question, lol. Work it higher in the flame. I would guess you are working too hot. You can get away with it for a lot of glasses but some just want you to treat them right

~

Old 2013-02-21, 12:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
You just answered your own question, lol. Work it higher in the flame. I would guess you are working too hot. You can get away with it for a lot of glasses but some just want you to treat them right
Actually, what I found was that if I worked HOTTER it stopped pitting, not the other way around, which doesn't make any sense.

I'm trying to see if anyone else has worked with Azure enough to have come up with a more logical answer.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-02-21, 12:44pm

I have experienced pitting with this glass too. I find, though, that in general, once glass begins to boil and pit, it's hard to stop it, and working further out can still be problematic unless you let it cool a lot and baby it.

No idea why it stopped pitting close to the torch, unless it really is a flame chemistry thing, as CiM hinted at.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-02-21, 12:55pm
sunscreen me baby

I believe the closer you are to the torch head the more reducing the flame is. Try working in an oxy rich flame and see if that helps.

~

Old 2013-02-21, 1:04pm

Quote:
I believe the closer you are to the torch head the more reducing the flame is. Try working in an oxy rich flame and see if that helps.
That's what I've heard too, so why would moving my bead closer to the torch stop the boiling/pitting when I was working with the Azure this weekend?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-02-21, 1:07pm
sunscreen me baby

Oh, I read that the other way, sorry. What do you have for a torch?

~

Old 2013-02-21, 3:34pm

Quote:
Oh, I read that the other way, sorry. What do you have for a torch?
Minor on a weak oxycon. Almost as reducing as my hot head.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-02-21, 3:42pm

I haven't found a solution for the pitting-tried oxidizing, reducing, far out -first CIM glass that I absolutely hate and it is such a pretty color. Guess I'll try working closer to the flame and see what happens.

Georgia
Old 2013-02-21, 3:46pm
sunscreen me baby

That explains a lot

~

Old 2013-02-21, 4:36pm
Loving learning

Alli sent me a rod to try because it was giving her problems on her HH, and so far so good. but I don't know why.
Old 2013-02-21, 5:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Alli sent me a rod to try because it was giving her problems on her HH, and so far so good. but I don't know why.
Eileen, do you use tanked oxy, a big oxycon, or a small oxycon?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-02-21, 5:20pm
Loving learning

minor with 5lpm oxycon
Old 2013-02-21, 5:55pm
Senior Moment

*nods* I LOVE Azure, but it hates the HH, because it just doesn't like a reducing flame. It was even worse if I marvered it. Fortunately it likes Eileen and her torch LOL

I second the more oxy suggestion.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-02-23, 6:10pm
Loving learning

After my saying I had no issues, I used it today over silver leaf & tiny little bubbles kept coming up. I don't know if it was because I was working it long, over silver, or just different from last time. I put it in the kiln, will check it out before getting it off the mandrel and possibly put it back in the kiln to reheat & see if I can do something to fix it next torch session if needed.

Tags
azure, boiling, cim, messy glass, pitting, scummy, turquoise