Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2013-07-16, 1:00pm

Default Murrini Simplified, A Collection of 75+ Recipes

Hi all!

Here's a tutorial I've been working on. After a lot of searching for murrini recipes (and not finding enough to suit me) I started playing. This is the result.

This tutorial is a recipe book of color combinations for making murrini. It contains a cane-making demonstration, dozens of recipes, an extra mini tutorial, and several tips I found going through this process.

Features:

Over 75 color combinations for making your own murrini
50 pages of cane-making demonstration, recipes and tips
200 color photographs
Hot head friendly!

This tutorial also addresses other issues such as:

How to handle colors that spread or bleed
How to deal with glass that devitrifies
How to get silver glass to reduce nicely
How to determine if colors will work well together in murrini cane
How to get realistic, flower-like color variations in murrini
How to cut straight murrini chips

No unusual tools are required, and this tutorial uses glass from several manufacturers: Creation is Messy, Double Helix, Effetre (Moretti), Reichenbach, Trautman Art Glass, Vetrofond and Zimmerman. Due to the wide variety and number of recipes, you probably already have many of the colors used in several of the recipes. A few recipes use limited or out of production glass, but you may have it in your stash, or there are others that work just as well.

Here are some pictures of finished murrini from a few of the recipes:

The price is $25, and here's the link to the tutorial in my Etsy store: http://www.rocsdesigns.etsy.com

Thanks for looking!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AKDesigns; 2013-09-27 at 9:29am.
Old 2013-07-16, 3:04pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

This is a Fabulous Tutorial!!! Wonderful photography and tons of recipes and tips! Many, many cool combinations I would never have thought would look so good together! And finally - a way to cut murrini slices that I also would never have thought of! No more trying to see through a plastic baggie! Thank you so much Rachel for this Excellent tutorial!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2013-07-16, 3:32pm

Very nice tut. The murrini are straightforward and very effective, which gives you a great start for building in complexity.

Everything is clearly explained at the beginning, then it's right into the recipes with photos beside each one, any variations are noted too. All very helpful and inspiring!

Thanks Rachel
Old 2013-07-17, 8:12am

Thank you ladies! Marianne, you said it so well. It's really about the colors and which ones play well together.

Old 2013-07-18, 7:36am
Queen Tut ;)

Great tutorial for murrini. I've been looking for a color combo murrini guide, as all the experimentation has led to a lot of failed murrini on my part. The recipes are exactly what I was looking for and this will save me soooo much time (as I'm sure you're aware lol). Great starting off point for some more complex murrini too.

Bravo

Old 2013-07-18, 11:38am

Thanks Jenne. Yes, I know all about those fails! This thing is over 300 torch hours alone. I have several "recipes" that just didn't work for one reason or another, with probably a dozen I want to revisit. I won't claim to be an expert, and there are many who can do complex far better than me, but I thought it was worth sharing what does work regarding colors. Let me know when you try some, I'd love to see your results!!

Old 2013-07-25, 8:37pm

Got it. Looks super. Can't wait to try it.

Thanks - Di

Old 2013-07-26, 7:18am

Thanks Di! I hope you enjoy it and would love to see what you do with it!

In other news, I edited the original post to make the coupon code info stand out.

Several LE peeps have purchased the tutorial but not used the coupon and I'm thinking it was just overlooked. If you've already purchased it and would like to have the $3 refunded, please PM me here or convo me on Etsy with your PayPal email and I'll take care of it. The coupon is good through August 3rd, so I'll give refunds on those previously purchased up until the 4th.

Old 2013-08-01, 5:13pm

Just a reminder, two more days to use the LE coupon for $3 off on the tutorial (through Saturday, 8/3). Use "LAMPWORKETC" at checkout. And I'd love to see what you make!

Old 2013-08-01, 8:22pm
Formerly FishBulb

Oh man, I'm sooooo tempted. I really shouldn't spend more money, but I love murrini recipes, and I use them all the time in my ocean beads....

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2013-08-02, 7:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitosis Glass View Post
Oh man, I'm sooooo tempted. I really shouldn't spend more money, but I love murrini recipes, and I use them all the time in my ocean beads....
Here's one to tempt you further.

CIM Atlantis center
CIM Peace (thin)
CIM Mediterranean
CIM Peace stripes

This one didn't make the tutorial because it was similar enough to another, but I thought the colors would coordiante with your ocean beads.

Old 2013-08-02, 8:36am

Yeah, ROC 'rocked ' this tutorial. Thank You for all the hrs. spent compiling info on the murrini recipes.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2013-08-02, 2:14pm
Formerly FishBulb

Alright, that did it! Your sample there made me run to your shop for this tut. I don't use CIM but I did see that you had a technique that I'd never thought of.

Now that I've bought the tutorial, I see you had a whole BUNCH of techniques I'd never thought of! This was money well spent, and I can't wait to try these! Thank you so much.

Old 2013-08-02, 2:25pm

Just bought it! Thank you for the coupon too Rachel!
Old 2013-08-02, 3:55pm

Thanks, Cathy, you clever girl! And thanks Mitosis and Erin! Can't wait to see what you all make!

*****For those of you who have the tutorial, in the demo cane, replace Periwinkle with Opal Yellow. Thanks, Mitosis, for pointing this out!!*****

Last edited by ROC; 2013-08-02 at 4:05pm.
Old 2013-08-02, 7:15pm
Formerly FishBulb

You're most welcome! I know my monitor makes wonky colours sometimes, but I thought, geez, *that's* periwinkle? Really? Maybe I'd better ask.

This is such a great tutorial and recipe book! I thought I'd pretty much seen it all with murrini, but you provide some really fantastic tips and tricks that are simple, but that make so much difference in the end result.

Old 2013-08-03, 1:14am

I just tried to buy this tutorial using the "lampworketc" coupon code but it's expired. Wasn't it supposed to run through today?
Old 2013-08-03, 4:51am

Thanks for the heads-up Patty. It's fixed and should be good through today.

Thank you for your kind words Mitosis. Can't wait to see what you make!!

Old 2013-08-03, 7:03am

Thanks Rachel! The discount works fine now!
Old 2013-09-19, 9:11am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Wow - what a great tutorial!! Very clear instructions, lot of tips and tricks, the photographs are really helpful! I hope to be able to make a decent size gather on my HotHead someday. The ideas are already swimming in my mind.

Old 2013-09-19, 6:57pm

Thank you so much, Amber!!

Old 2013-09-23, 5:59pm
Senior Moment

Having FAR too much fun with this tut:

This bunch are are quickie test beads except for the top one, which should be with the other flower beads (I still have to etch it):
Name:  IMG_6269-001.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  27.2 KB
Name:  IMG_6273-001.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  22.4 KBName:  IMG_6274-001.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  22.7 KB

Etched w/ frit murrini:
Name:  IMG_6287-002.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  24.2 KB

And yes, I take crappy pics LOL
Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-09-24, 3:38pm

Alli, I love them!! I never thought to etch murrini beads, but I'm going to have to try some etched since yours look so great. I'm glad you're having fun with the tutorial, and I can't wait to see more! (because I KNOW there will be more - bwahahaha)

Old 2013-09-24, 4:39pm
Senior Moment

*raises her hand*

My name is Alli and I have a murrini problem

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-09-25, 3:59pm

Alli those look GREAT!

Tags
murrini, reducing, striking, tutorial