Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-07-27, 11:21am
Borosapien

Thank you Bernhard for the compliments

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-07-27, 6:23pm
Flamewoman

Bernhard, put it back in the kiln next time you sit down to torch, ( of course the kiln is turned on and heating) ( lol ) and after it has soaked for at least an hour at full temp, what ever you use to anneal, then try to use a large punty on one side of the crack and start melting from the other side and then reverse. I have pretty much mended things like that, that way, but not with a rock in side. I have wondered what would happen to your marbles if you put them in the freezer and then took them out to room temp. Would they crack? Try with one you don't like so much if you are curious too.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-07-27, 6:46pm
Bernhard Riegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Bernhard, put it back in the kiln next time you sit down to torch, ( of course the kiln is turned on and heating) ( lol ) and after it has soaked for at least an hour at full temp, what ever you use to anneal, then try to use a large punty on one side of the crack and start melting from the other side and then reverse. I have pretty much mended things like that, that way, but not with a rock in side. I have wondered what would happen to your marbles if you put them in the freezer and then took them out to room temp. Would they crack? Try with one you don't like so much if you are curious too.
I have tried mending, but was never happy with the outcome. It leaves lines and is never as pure as a good marble. About the freezer, it is winter here and my glass is in an unheated room (frosty), and when I take them inside, put them under a strong (hot) lamp to take photos, there was never an issue with cracking. That cracked marble is actually holding together, because the rock is melted in on both sides of the crack. I think I will "loose" this marble on the beach some day - it might make some kids day

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2014-07-27, 7:31pm
Flamewoman

Perfect!

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-07-27, 8:06pm
Sucks at being nice

It would totally make my day to find a marble like that on the beach!

Old 2014-07-28, 12:05am

Mine too, although I would be sad if the surface had weathered and I couldn't see into it. These are just beautiful, with or without a crack