Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-05-13, 2:25pm
Certified Glass Melter

Smile Help For A Boro Beginner

Okay, so I just got the glass alchemy sampler pack, along with some simax tubes and rods, and I was wondering what to to with them? I eventually want to do fumed implosions and stuff like that, but when ever I do an implosion it turns out like a flower, any help? I am doing them on a rod with a maria, (can't figure out how to do them on a rod, and how do you swirl them?)

P.S. I have been doing soft glass for about a year now, and do have some experience with off mandrel stuff, and know about striking, reducing etc.

Thanks in advance, I've found this site to be a great resource.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dragon Hills Glass Studio
Old 2015-05-13, 9:07pm

You tube is a great resource for videos on fuming and glass videos in general. While they primarily make pipes Revere Glass on you tube has some great hi-def videos and I believe they may have a couple on pendants. Timiia glass is another decent one. Here's a fumed pendant one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-5LPwcG_GY
here's another but not really a video but good pictorial slide from our own Onekura on here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6I3mE1ISuU

John aka "BIG JOHN"
Old 2015-05-14, 6:41pm
Bernhard Riegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliglassguy View Post
Thank you, that comment actually made my day
And for a beginner, try this: close a tube and paint on stripes of color about an inch from the front all arround with a gap in between each swipe. Twist this carefully without collapsing the tube and taper off the very front to a needle fine point. Now, with a small flame condense this, starting at the needle point and work your way back to where the swipes start. Now you should have a spiral in solid glass and all you have to do is take it off the tube (by heating, stretching - blow a hole and burn it off) and now you can make it into anything you like. If this sounds too complicated, pm me and I send you a picture tut. Good luck and . . in my opinion, the most important part of working boro is, to feel the glass moving - which depends on heat control - you have to get a feel for this!!!!!!! Torch time is the best teacher - and learn from your mistakes!

also have a look here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=257747

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Last edited by Onekura; 2015-05-14 at 6:44pm.
Old 2015-05-15, 8:12am
Certified Glass Melter

Thanks both of you, can't wait to get out to my studio later to try all this.

Dragon Hills Glass Studio
Old 2015-05-16, 7:59pm
He can do the origami

For a non flower rod implosion: make a maria, place dots on the maria. I usually place rows of dots next to each other until I have the face of the maria covered in dots spaced close together, then implode the dots. You can also fume the face of the maria and then put clear dots over the fuming. Burn off the fuming and implode the dots.

After you get the dots imploded to the depth of your liking, heat the cnter bottom of the maria, but do not get it hot enough for the entire maria to move. Touch a thin punty to the center of the maria/imploded dots and twist. This will give a spiral twist to your implosion. Break off or burn of the punty and finish off the piece as a marble or pendant or whatever you want to make out of it. The same as Bernhard says, if this seems too complicated, send me a private message and I will send you a tutorial with pics.

Otter
Old 2015-05-25, 3:54pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Here is a marble made on a maria starting with a 3/4" boro rod. Its an implosion. I call it a seafloor marble. Others call it a reef marble. I did this years ago. I've got a new style now, and a new computer-haven't figured out yet how to get pictures on to it.

Old 2015-05-25, 4:00pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Don't want to do a flower on a maria? This was my very first attempt, many years ago, at a cat's face in a marble, and its an implosion using a 5/8" or 3/4" rod with a maria.

Old 2015-05-25, 4:11pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Here's one more. Thank you, LampworkEtc, for keeping my old uploads. I call this one "Hole in the Seafloor". The edge is from my seafloor implosion. After imploding the edge I heat up the center of the maria white hot and using a 5/8" rod, stick a big glob of clear in the middle of the maria. As I pull the rod away I leave enough glass to form a cone.
Then I wrap spirals around the cone to finish with what looks like a vortex.