Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-06-13, 3:54pm
Madmanmarbles

Question What torch for Larger boro marbles?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out the best torch for around $1000 or less..
I have been looking at the Knight Dragon Fire, and the Bethlehem Barracuda.
I am wanting to mainly make Boro marbles about 1 1/2" some maybe larger some smaller... I will also want to continue to make beads and other small items. Anybody have any experience with both these torches.. It seems like the Knight would have a bigger flame, But I don't hear many people talk about that torch... Are there any other torch recommendations based on my needs?
Thanks for any help... Joe
Old 2006-06-13, 4:09pm
boro color bender

Joe, for bigger boro marbles, you can't beat a GTT Phanton or a Cuda... the Tiger Shark is also in that price range. Cosmo has a Tiger Shark, you should contact him and chat with him about that one... I'm assuming you're on tanked oxy... going this large on concentrators is expensive up front. I run a Cuda on two M-20's and love it... but it's another $1600-1750 up front. Everybody has their preferences... but GTT or Bethlehem is my pick for boro color. The CC's are nice too, but the premix centerfire is loud and hard on color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-06-14, 10:51am
Madmanmarbles

Hasn't any one on here used the Knight Dragon Fire? I'd really like some feedback on that torch....
I have heard lots of stuff about the barracuda controls getting hot..
And What about the GTT Cheetah? I know the lynx is too small for my needs and I can't afford a phantom..... I've heard rumors about not being able to get a small enough flame on the Cheetah to do detailed bead work... Is this true or false?
Any help for this dummy would be greatly appriciated...
Old 2006-06-14, 11:02am
ManBearPig

I would highly recommend a Barracuda. I have a Tiger Shark, and I love it. I have used a Knight a little, but came away unimpressed. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing about it that would make me recommend it.

On my Tiger Shark, I can make 2" marbles pretty easily. 2.25-2.5" are possible as well. That is as large as I have attempted, and is probably pushing the limit of my patience. A friend has a PM2D and makes 3" marbles all the time.

A GTT Cheetah is a good torch (as are all GTT torches), but for customer service reasons I don't recommend them. Not wanting to start an arguement, that's all I'll say about them. If you want to know more, PM me.

Old 2006-06-14, 3:54pm
boro color bender

The Cuda controls getting hot have been fixed.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-06-14, 10:05pm
PyronamixK

RE: Customer Service

If you want to know the rest of the story, PM me.
...not wanting to start a fight or anything...
Old 2006-06-15, 12:50am
Boldly going

You can make a 1.5" marble on a Lynx for sure. I have a GTT Phantom but use mostly only the inner Lynx fire. I do marbles approaching 2" with the Lynx inner ring. It just depends on how patient you are. PM me if you have specific questions about the Lynx or Phantom.

Brad

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|