Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2012-01-10, 11:06am

Default Bead Shortage

Hi Folks,
We're running very low on medium to large sized beads. A lot of beads went out over the holidays and our stocks are depleted. I'm doing a studio sweep again tonight myself and hope to get a box out tomorrow. If you've got extras around from your holiday shop time and would like to start off the New Year with a great deed, this is a good time to clear out the old and make room for new beauties. We can sure use whatever you can send.
Thanks for all you do for Beads of Courage!
Robert
Old 2012-01-10, 11:11am
Roo ...

It sounds like you are talking to me <g>. I haven't done BoC before. Where can I send them?

Regards,
- Becky in MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-10, 11:40am

Becky - here is the info on where to send your beads. There is a link to the form they ask you fill in as well.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've got a couple hundred beads stashed for BoC .. I'll try to get them in the mail tomorrow.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-10, 11:45am

Thanks! We've got over 100 hospitals in the US now and that adds up to a lot of children that need beads. Your help makes all the difference in the world.

Robert
Old 2012-01-10, 2:32pm

okey dokey, I know what my assignment is tonight! Studio sweep, here I come.
Old 2012-01-10, 6:38pm
Loving learning

I was going to wait until I had a good batch, but I guess a few now along with those from other people could add up to enough to keep things going for a bit so I'll see what I can come up with to get in the mail. I'll try to speed up "production" now that the holidays are over & things are back to normal around here.
Old 2012-01-10, 7:37pm
I'm meeeeelting

I put a box in the mail today. Not a huge #, but I sent what I had.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-01-10, 8:36pm

I sent in 906 beads last week. Hoping you received them
Making more!!!

Old 2012-01-10, 9:29pm
Loving learning

Go Reenie!!!!
Old 2012-01-10, 9:31pm
Loving learning

Robert, I have a question. I'm doing better with my ends, but they don't always dimple well enough, plus I have some older ones that are a little rough.
I got a Dremel for Christmas, and am wondering if I can send those 10-12 beads in if I use the Dremel to smooth the hole rough spot here or there on the rejects. I guess I could etch the beads after smoothing the hole end to disguise the fact if needed also.
Old 2012-01-11, 6:33am

Smoothing down a little rough edge or taking off a sharp tip is perfectly all right. Major excavation can be a problem, but a lot of beads that I get need a touch up before they go on to Tucson and the kids.
Good question! Thanks for bringing that up.

Robert
Old 2012-01-11, 8:56am
Loving learning

Great! I actually did a few before I read this, but I must need lessons on the dremel. I broke the tip off my cone and then bent the shaft I bought to put these polishing ... like rubber tubes? on, so I will get what I have in the mail.

If anyone has any suggestions for tips/bits/whatever they're called, I'd love to know what works best.
Old 2012-01-11, 2:12pm
Wild at Heart!

Do pandora size beads work??

??
Old 2012-01-11, 5:17pm

Hi Robert, I sent out 12 pounds of beads from the Hotties last week, so hopefully that will help. I'm hoping to have a couple of BOC days in my studio after the 15th, so I'm looking forward to it.

Old 2012-01-11, 5:22pm

Yes, we can use all sizews of beads.

Thanks Diane, a good Houston Hotties bead infusion is just the thing we need right now!

Robert
Old 2012-01-11, 9:21pm

Robert,
I received a wonderful letter from BOC today. It made my day
So I guess that means my beads arrived safely. Should have more going out by the end of the month.

Old 2012-01-12, 7:13am

My first package is ready for mailing today. I wanted to send more, and will later.

Ginko Beads
Old 2012-01-12, 9:58am
StudioMarcy

I just posted on fb and think there will be a few more sending some beads in.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2012-01-12, 6:45pm

Mailing off 60 beads tomorrow Roberto!
- Kristy
Old 2012-01-29, 12:09pm

shipped off a tad over 100 on friday

Old 2012-01-29, 12:18pm
Loving learning

Robert how are they doing? Have they made it to a breathing space or are they still critical? I realize there is a constant need, but did the recent influx get them past the dire need and into normal need?
Old 2012-01-29, 2:13pm
sunscreen me baby

Got a 2 lb. box going out tomorrow. There are a bunch of mermaids in there. (modest ones
)

~

Old 2012-01-30, 6:26am

Quote:
Got a 2 lb. box going out tomorrow. There are a bunch of mermaids in there. (modest ones
)
Great! Thank you!

Robert
Old 2012-02-15, 1:00pm

I just got word that we're low on beads again. Time to destash for middle size and big ole beads.
Thanks much!
Robert
Old 2012-02-15, 1:04pm
Glass Addict

Robert... I have a couple pounds I can ship off to you guys instead of donating to my local chapter this month... what address do I ship them to??

Old 2012-02-15, 1:43pm
Loving learning

Look there for the address and the form to include also.
Old 2012-02-15, 11:16pm

Quote:
Great! I actually did a few before I read this, but I must need lessons on the dremel. I broke the tip off my cone and then bent the shaft I bought to put these polishing ... like rubber tubes? on, so I will get what I have in the mail.

If anyone has any suggestions for tips/bits/whatever they're called, I'd love to know what works best.
Eileen use a diamond wheel for the dremel smooth the ends then pop the beads in the kiln bring them up to 1000 then flame polish the ends of the beads.
I use this trick on my handle beads.
home depot carries the diamond wheels. also make sure to use them with water I just frequently dip the bead

#C-151
Old 2012-02-17, 9:35am
Noooobie!

I am hoping to get my studio up and running this weekend. I M total newbie. I bought the Beads of courage making the animals book. Are these what you are talking about? If not, can you tell me exactly what a new person like me can make.... I will help in any way I can.

Hugs!

Pixx
Old 2012-02-17, 10:08am

Quote:
I am hoping to get my studio up and running this weekend. I M total newbie. I bought the Beads of courage making the animals book. Are these what you are talking about? If not, can you tell me exactly what a new person like me can make.... I will help in any way I can.

Hugs!

Pixx
If you're new to bead making you might want to start off with the basics before you tackle making animals. While you're learning about keeping shapes and such you could just make some round or oval beads. So long as the beads have smooth holes on the ends we'd love to have a selection of your practice beads.
Thanks for thinking of us!
Robert
Old 2012-02-17, 10:09am
Noooobie!

Quote:
If you're new to bead making you might want to start off with the basics before you tackle making animals. While you're learning about keeping shapes and such you could just make some round or oval beads. So long as the beads have smooth holes on the ends we'd love to have a selection of your practice beads.
Thanks for thinking of us!
Robert
Excellent! Any particular colors that are needed..... I have a LOT of glass.