AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-06-15, 8:17pm

Default Barracuda Question?

I got a new Barracuda and have been using it lately. It gets very hot! After running it for a little while, even the control knobs get so hot that if I turn it off, and then go to turn it back on, I need to use gloves to turn the knobs. Is this normal? The torch appears to be working fine. I'm used to using a Lynx, which doesn't get that hot...

Debbie
Old 2006-06-15, 8:36pm
boro color bender

If it's the newer model with the green heat sheild thingy in it, it shouldn't get hot at the knobs. Call Bethlehem and talk to them about it. There's probably something going on... Mine doesn't get hot at the knobs at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-06-16, 3:21am
boro color bender

Phone: 610-838-7034 • Fax: 610-838-6333
info@bethlehemburners.com

Just to make it easier for you...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-06-16, 8:08pm

OK, I'll have to go out there tomorrow and check my torch to see if I have something that looks like a "green heat shield thingy." If so, I guess I'll give them a call. Thanks all for the replies!

Debbie
Old 2006-06-17, 3:30am
boro color bender

I am so technical... it's a piece of nonmetalic "stuff" sandwiched between the barrel and the manifold...

Old 2006-06-17, 9:23pm
PyronamixK

They all have the heat shield thingy. Brent and Kimberly are right, you should give them a call. While Beths do tend to get hot (bodies), the knobs sould not be hot. Look to see if that heat shield block is turning brownish. It should be grey/green color. Does it smell like burnt plastic/rubber? Has it (the torch, not the block) popped, yet? Tell whomever you talk to at Bethlehem exactly what's going on. They should take care of it for you.
Old 2006-06-18, 12:22pm

I think I found the heat shield thingy. Is it that tannish green piece just above the knobs, kind of rubbery feeling, goes all around the barrel? It doesn't look damaged, at this point. But what do you mean about the torch "popping"?

Problem is, since I've never seen anyone use a torch, I never know if I'm using it properly or not.

I've sent an email to Bethlehem. Hope they can give me some info...

Debbie
Old 2006-06-19, 8:17am
PyronamixK

Debbie, what pressures are you running for propane and oxygen? Does it seem to be o.k. when you run the centerfire only? The last person who reported having problems similar to yours was, IMO, starving her torch for oxygen. She said that she was going to run it on tanks and see if the problem resolved itself, but she never reported her findings. So, who knows. Check your pressures first. If they are on the low end, try running them higher (like 20 psi for the oxygen) and see if that helps.

The heat shield should NOT be tannish green. It should be a pale grey green. If it is turning tannish (which leads to brownish), it is getting too hot.

The popping I am talking about is just that, popping, like a firecracker going off. Sometimes, there can be a small leak in a torch that will cause premixing of the oxygen and fuel inside the torch. This premixing causes a small explosion inside the torch body. The little explosion makes a loud pop. It also generates quite a bit of heat and causes the torch to heat up where it should not heat up.

If you are not hearing any popping, and you are running low pressures, then it is most likely that you are starving your torch for oxygen and causing the torch to overheat. Boosting the pressure should resolve the problem.
Old 2006-06-19, 8:34am

I'm not sure what the pressures are off-hand. I just give the torch paperwork to hubby and let him set that up. I printed your response to give him so he can check the pressures. What would you recommend for propane pressure?

I took a better look at the heat shield today, and the top half of it is definitely brown. I haven't had any popping while using the torch, just the occasional popping when I start it up, and then it blows itself out. I assume it's because I have the oxygen knob too high, so I adjust and then get it lit. I made just 6 boro beads today, and when I tried to shut it off to take a break, the knobs were red hot.

Could it also be that I'm not turning the oxygen up high enough while I'm torching? Too much propane turn of the knobs and not enough turn for oxygen? Not really sure what the flame should look like. I just get it to a point where it is do-able to work with. It's not going to blow up in my face, is it?

Thanks for the response. Haven't heard from Bethlehem yet....

Debbie
Old 2006-06-19, 9:15am

OK, I talked to hubby and he said the oxygen is set at 25 (he was told to set it 5 higher than recommended due to back flow preventer). Propane is set at 10, but goes to 7 when torch is turned on.

I'll try to run just the centerfire alone next time I torch, and see if that heats everything up too.

Debbie
Old 2006-06-19, 9:38am
PyronamixK

Here you go, I copied this from an earlier post about what different flames should look like on a Bethlehem torch:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
On a Bethlehem torch:

Neutral Flame - There will be very little yellow to white tips on the cones and the length of the cones should be between 1/8" to 3/8"

Oxidizing Flame - You will have pretty much the same length cones. You would be pushing the oxygen harder, so the torch should be hissing. And, you will start to see clear streaks in the blue flame.

Reduction Flame - This is an easy flame to get on a Bethlehem torch. Basically, the candles will get more yellow tipped: 1/3 of the length or more of the cone is yellow tipped and will look somewhat feathered. Once you get a cone over 3/8", you will usually start going into a reduction flame on a Bethlehem torch. Torches can vary (they each have their own personality), so some of them can get longer candles before going into the reduction flame. But around the 3/8" to 1/2" mark is where most of them will start doing that. Just cut back on your oxygen to reduce in any range.
As for pressures:

I would say to run your propane around 8-9 psi and your oxygen around 20 psi. Remember that your needle valves control how much fuel and oxygen is actually getting to your torch. The more you open your valve, the higher the flow and the higher the pressure. So, running higher pressures, but running a tiny flame will not help your situation. Just remember that the shorter you run your candles/cones, the more oxygen you need. If it were me, I would run about 1/4" candles with very little yellow tips.

As for the popping and flame blowing itself out:

Sometimes, if there is air in your lines when you light your torch, it will make a small puffy pop and blow out the pilot flame. However, if you light your torch and it makes a loud POP, and blows out the flame, it could be premixing. Given that you are overheating your torch enough for the heat shield to discolor, premixing is a definite possibility.

As for blowing up in your face:

If you're using flashback arrestors, you shouldn't have a problem. But really, the best thing to do would be to send it in. Bethlehem has a lifetime warranty on their torches.
Old 2006-06-19, 9:55am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieSue
OK, I talked to hubby and he said the oxygen is set at 25 (he was told to set it 5 higher than recommended due to back flow preventer). Propane is set at 10, but goes to 7 when torch is turned on.

I'll try to run just the centerfire alone next time I torch, and see if that heats everything up too.

Debbie
OK, you posted while I was typing...

Your propane pressure sounds fine. Whenever a pressure is given, that is the pressure for when the torch is running. So, if you want your pressure to be 10 psi, you should dial it in to 10 while the torch is running. But 7 psi is good.

Setting the oxygen at 25 psi is iffy. Bethlehem says not to exceed 25 psi on any feed because of the possibility of leaky valves. If you are not exceeding 25 psi, you should be covered by the warranty. Oh, and if you are just setting your regulator to 25 while the torch is not running, then you are probably really running about 23 or 24 psi. So, check your pressure while your torch is running and make sure that you are not exceeding 25 psi.

At any rate, it does not appear that you are starving your torch. So....
Old 2006-06-20, 8:16am

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I've heard from Bethlehem and they said to send the torch in for a check-up. As soon as hubby gets around to unhooking it for me, I'll mail it in. Hopefully, they'll figure out the problem.

Debbie