No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-02, 8:27pm
The Andrea Half

Default Terminology Questions--hardware parts

So one of my finial-to-fan-pull adapters came loose, and I saw how it was put together. I had thought that it was a single piece, like so:

However, it is actually a short 3/4" brass screw, with a 1/4" diameter, fine-threaded, which has been epoxied onto half of a ball-chain connector, like so:

with a brass cap over the top.

The cap screws onto half the screw, and the fan pull itself is formed around a cabinet knob insert and screws onto the other half of the screw. Here are some closeups of the cap.

So I have some questions!

1) What is that ball cap called? It is VERY hard to find something when you don't know what people call it. It is NOT a finial or a finial cap; it has a hole in both top and bottom. The top hole accommodates the ball chain, and the bottom hole is threaded and fits the brass screw.

2) If you know what it is called, where can I find some? I looked at several lamp supply stores on the web and found zilch, zip, and nada. The only things I found were shade risers, and they are threaded externally at the top, which is not what I need.

3) Where does one find short pieces of brass screw like this? Do I have to cut it myself? If so, what tools do I need to cut it cleanly so the threads aren't broken and made unusable.

O Hardware Geeks out there ... any clues? Mille mille grazie in advance, even if you don't know

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-10-03, 9:10am

I can help with part of this, not the tough part. If you have to cut your own threaded rod, get a nut that fits the threads. Put the nut on the rod and make your cut. Unscrew the nut over the cut end and the nut will fix the damaged threads as it comes off.

Steve

Old 2007-10-03, 11:20am

Sometimes called a finial (although most don't have a hole through them) or a nipple. Any *good* lamp store should have them.

Remember when we used to walk into a store, hold out our hand, and say, "Do you have these?" Kind of hard to do online, isn't it?

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978