TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-04-12, 2:09pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Dawn once again you have taken my breath away!!! I have one question would you mind telling us what black you are currently using- I am still trying to use up the 5 lbs of vetro black that I got a while back and it all kinda goes gun metal on me I would love to use a good black that will not do that lol!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-12, 5:21pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Hi Michelle!

I've been using Lauscha black for beads that I'm not encasing. (You know I still have about two pounds of that bad batch of Effetre that I had the last time you came for a visit, so I just use that on beads I plan on encasing.)

Also...if you can find any, CIM Charcoal is a great alternative to black for big beads that you work for an extended time in the flame. I don't know if the Charcoal was an odd lot or just a color they discontinued, but it stays nice and shiny and doesn't pit around the edges of the raku. I have some CIM Tuxedo too but haven't tried it with raku yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
Dawn once again you have taken my breath away!!! I have one question would you mind telling us what black you are currently using- I am still trying to use up the 5 lbs of vetro black that I got a while back and it all kinda goes gun metal on me I would love to use a good black that will not do that lol!!!

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2010-04-12, 7:58pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Dawn.... I must say: Your bead's are absolutely stunning! When I grow-up (no longer a newbie) I want to make beautiful beads just like you! Of course, not JUST LIKE YOURS, but have the abilities to work the glass to make the colors REALLY pop, like you have! A++

Sandy :0)

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-04-14, 2:49pm

Try that Tuxedo...you will love it Dawn! It's my choice for black glass these days...but them I am becoming partial to CIM ...have not found a color so far that I didn't like.
Your beads are really beautiful thank you for sharing-
Old 2010-04-14, 8:55pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

you are correct, dont reduce. I deleted that post because I think it was just some random thing that happened. Listen to Dawn, cuz its clear I havent a clue what Im talking about. I was just so excited I got color just wanted to share how it happened for me. I only use oxy flame now. So sorry for the misinformation./ I will be more careful prior to posting for now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarae View Post
I thought you were NOT supposed to reduce, that the raku wil turn dark brown when super heated and cooled, but if you reduce it turns silvery and you get yuk if you reduce and blues if you "brown" it.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-04-14, 8:56pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Omg, those look good enough to eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn >^..^< View Post
wow! Everyone's beads are looking great!

Lately i've been making sets using raku, multicolor dark and chalcedony all in the same set for an even wider range of colors. Here's a few examples....

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-04-15, 8:55am
Formerly Kellyhorton

My first beads I think Ive ever posted....just wanted to show the color i got with RAKU all thanks to Dawn. also posted in newbie forum, sorry if you already saw them.
For the raku impaired. It is much easier for me to get color on a tube bead that I am constantly warming and marvering. I dont have this much color on round or even lentil beads. but now that I at least got color, I will keep practicing and quit making huge beads. these are not encased. Im encasing impaired.thats why I probably cant get color when making lentils. (i dont make round beads, its too hard for me to decorate on a rounded surface), lol.
Tears of a clown

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Last edited by dragonfly designs 56; 2010-05-04 at 4:51am.
Old 2010-04-15, 9:09am
Mmmmm....Raku

No worries, Kelly. I think where part of the confusion comes in is that Raku actually IS a reduction glass. But it's also a striking glass and to get the vivid colors, it's best to strike it rather than reducing it.

Most other glasses that strike AND reduce look good either way. Raku is NOT one of those! To me, reduced raku looks like metallic mud.

Your "Tears of a clown" beads look great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhorton View Post
you are correct, dont reduce. I deleted that post because I think it was just some random thing that happened. Listen to Dawn, cuz its clear I havent a clue what Im talking about. I was just so excited I got color just wanted to share how it happened for me. I only use oxy flame now. So sorry for the misinformation./ I will be more careful prior to posting for now on.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2010-04-18, 12:04pm

Dawn..........great colors like always.
And thanks for the tip about Cim Charcoal, will try that, cause I hate, when my Effetre Black gets that small pits.
I tried first time to encase Raku, but the colors turn to pale.

Like Raku more that way.

Elke

Old 2010-04-18, 12:51pm
JulieV

Those are all so pretty.
I've only ever problems with vet. black. I ALWAYS hazes on me. But never effetre. Just must be some bad batches out there, eh?

Old 2010-04-18, 1:27pm

Julie.......I have that problem only when used with Raku due to the heat that will be need for it.
Otherwise my Effetre Black works well.
I hate Vetrofond Black.

Elke
Old 2010-04-18, 2:50pm
JulieV

Yes, Vet. black is evil! lol

Old 2010-05-08, 8:30am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Ok, I have read and re-read this thread and this is what I came up with:

Raku

1. make bead normal in neutral flame
2. apply raku and melt in
3. let it cool
4. turn down propane
5. super heat bead
6. should see cloud like effect
7. lightly marver or blow on bead to cool
8. it'll be black, which = good!
9. encase while raku is dark
10. heat as much as necessary to melt in raku and final shape
11. not encasing - give bead a flame polish till it's red

But I still get POOP brown! woe is me!

Old 2010-05-08, 8:44am
JulieV

When I saw that someone had actually tried to summarized the tips, I was thrilled! But then you said you still got poop! Darn!
I will wait and see if anyone 'fixes' your list.

Old 2010-05-08, 4:59pm

I will never give up until I acheive the results you all have had! So heres a simple question: I have 104 raku and want to know how high temp and how long to kiln anneal the raku bead....thanks
Old 2010-05-08, 6:16pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Since I'm a poor old woman, if you have all this black that doesn't work for you.....I'm in the R.A.O.G.K.
hehehehhe!
I love looking in here. I can get some good colors out of Raku now, but not the pinks. I want pinks darnit!!!!!!!
I will say switching to the minor helped immensely too.
I will continue to come in and drool...in between trying to get that glass to work for me
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-05-08, 7:30pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

I dont encase because I am encasing impaired. I only get good color when i do tube beads. I make the bead, roll in raku frit, 96, turn my propane down, oxy way up like dawn said. I cook the hell out of the bead at first, then roll on my marver. I make sure the whole bead is black. if not I keep superheating the part that is not black until the whole bead is black. when i stop super heating, i keep rolling the bead on my marver, either graphite (torch marver) or one of my brass marvers. Once its black, i start spot heating until the gets slight red, roll, between each time, i let the bead cool totally in between spot heatings. Learning to turn the bead black was a huge aha moment, (god bless dawn) spot heating and cooling was another huge aha moment. also, quit trying to do such large beads until I can get consistent colors. I can usually on the tube beads. I get the best color using 96 rods of raku , they are small rods, like two three times the size of stringer, i fry the hell out of the glass as im winding it on my bead, trying to save time, he he. sorry for the shitty pic, i got amazing purples and blues...you have to understand, raku was the reason i started lampworking. for a year, that is all I did was hundreds of raku beads. (was on a hot head, raku was new) just recently did I actually start to get alot of color, and on tube beads only. this went in the kiln unencased, and came out looking the same way. I can get purple and blues, thats about it.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Last edited by dragonfly designs 56; 2010-05-08 at 7:37pm.
Old 2010-06-05, 9:14pm

Yes, yes YES!!!!!!

Hugs,
Nita

Old 2010-06-06, 6:45am

How pretty is that? I'll tell you. Pretty, pretty, pretty!
Old 2010-06-08, 5:47pm

Thanks so much glasser, it's taken me a while to get there LOL!
Hugs,
Nita

Old 2010-06-08, 6:57pm

I hate all of you who can get color out Raku. Who wants to buy mine? ;0)

"She said she cried at least once a day, not because she was sad, but because the world is so beautiful and life is so short" Brian Andreas
Old 2010-06-08, 8:12pm
Entropy increasing....

Wow. This thread has over 112,000 views, Dawn!!
Old 2010-11-17, 5:19pm
Beadnoob Extraordinaire!

Hi there! I'm a glass noob-I have been working with glass, strictly beadmaking at this point, for about 2 months. Just wanted to say thank you so much for this tutorial! I discovered raku about a week ago, and the first time I played with it I got nothing but yellowish splotches. THEN I discovered this thread, and tried raku again last night. I haven't seen my beads yet, but they already looked SO MUCH BETTER before going into the kiln! They aren't as amazing as some of the other posts here (you guys are an inspiration!!!!), but wow, I do notice a huge difference.

I am going to pick up my beads this weekend (The studio I use batch anneals 'em for us), and am crossing my fingers! I'm thinking I'll post "before tutorial" and "after tutorial" pics so you can see how much you've helped me.

Thanks again Dawn and everyone!
Old 2010-11-18, 8:52am
Somewhat out there!

Maybe this question/answer is in here but: Is Raku always a frit? Where do I buy it? Thanks!
Old 2010-11-18, 10:50am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Glass hobbit,

Raku is our common name for the color called "IRIS ORANGE". You can find it where they sell Reichenbach. Here's the link to Franz' 104 cane. It also comes in COE 96

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=5281

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-11-18, 12:04pm
Somewhat out there!

Thank you!
Old 2010-11-18, 5:44pm

Location: Indian River County, Florida originally from Connecticut
Smile Oh my I'm a happy Guy I did it first 7 beads Yea!

Well after reading and reading this great thread started by a Great Lady south of me.

My Raku arrived this afternoon. I did 7 beads and I just took them out of the kiln. Nothing fancy like you great artist have shown.

After reading about all those that have struggled through the years. I was feeling blue of not getting the colors out of the flame. As I ventured on with the 7 beads they all got better using Iris Orange Frit. I will start using the rods Friday.

My problems were I was on O for Oxygen when I went to turn off my fuel and purge my lines for the evening.
While waiting I just read to Anneal them at 950. I was garaging at 850 then ramp to 950 area that was for the D Helix.

I did learn how to do D Helix in the last few days as well.
Well I can see I can sleep well tonight. Knowing I will be fine in the future doing Raku frit & rods. I did get some great beads in D Helix Clio plus man what cool colors and I can get them to look the same.
I have waited to do Raku since I started lampworking roughly 6-7 months ago.

I have to say I did roughly one K tank on torch to get this right so far.
Friday is another day Two more tanks to empty.

I think I will go dance in the street.

Thank you Dawn and all of you,
Cliff

Last edited by cman; 2010-11-19 at 3:42am.
Old 2010-11-20, 11:13am
Loook eeentooo my eyyees

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoonglow View Post
Ok, I have read and re-read this thread and this is what I came up with:

Raku

1. make bead normal in neutral flame
2. apply raku and melt in
3. let it cool
4. turn down propane
5. super heat bead
6. should see cloud like effect
7. lightly marver or blow on bead to cool
8. it'll be black, which = good!
9. encase while raku is dark
10. heat as much as necessary to melt in raku and final shape
11. not encasing - give bead a flame polish till it's red

But I still get POOP brown! woe is me!
Hang in there peeps. I made poop colored beads for a really long time until I finally got the hang of it so keep trying...you can do it. I really have better luck with stringer that frit. I use a flame that is slightly more oxygen rich than neutral but not alot. I make a base bead (I like black or sometimes ink blue...they both seem to be more stable for me) then with the bead slightly below the bottom of the flame and close but not in it, I apply the stringer quickly with the stringer in the flame melting it in hot and fast. I am not looking for precise stringer work but just want to get it on there to show color. You want your stringer to heat until you see just a flash of transparency all over. (like suddenly the clouds disappear from the sky). Then take it out of the flame and gently marver so as not to disturb the shape of your bead. (I like brass better than graphite). It should turn very dark. The flash the bead in the top, cooler part of the flame and see if you get color. If you see purpley color developing bingo and you can encase then or flash again and work the color down through a range of blues. To encase I try to work guickly with the bead below the flame but in the warm surrounding area. To make it fast you can heat a glob of glass on the end of the rod and try to make it once around the bead if one fell swoop. Once the raku is covered it seems to be protected from further major color change and your color should stick around for final shaping.

Love this thread. Good luck and keep trying!

-
-

Old 2010-11-20, 9:28pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Default OMG!

Well it only took reading this thread a zillion times and three years of practice but I think I'm actually getting there, at least it's not brown anymore!

I was totally stoked when I pulled this out of the kiln this morning. I may just have to keep my raku frit now. Dawn I never ever would have gotten this far without this thread, thank you so much!

Old 2010-11-21, 1:12pm
Loook eeentooo my eyyees

Posting a few pics...made this one last night and the color is good, I think. (the airbubble in one view, not so much LOL)

-
-