Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-03-19, 7:49am
Puddy Cat Lover

Default Using a light box for underlighting. Poser

I'm never happy with the lighting I use (light tent, florescent daylight bulbs, white background, camera set to exposure 1.3, even use photoshop adjustment levels, yada, yada) Well, yesterday I tried laying some beads on my light box to see if the photo would improve any. Not too sure if I like the way the beads look, but the lighting did improve. The beads look like they're floating. No shadows at all. Here are 2 photos. One without light box, one with. Critique away!!! Please.
J>
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-03-19, 1:31pm
I'm a lilac!

I think the beads look much nicer in the first photo... you can see more surface detail and there's no glare from overhead lights.

Old 2006-03-19, 4:37pm
sunscreen me baby

The problem I have with eliminating shadows is you no longer can tell it is 3D. Shadows are very important in defining shape.

~

Old 2006-03-19, 11:14pm
Puddy Cat Lover

Thanks ladies. Your opinions and advice is very much appreciated.

J.

Old 2006-03-22, 8:55am
Gentleman of Leisure

Second picture looks to artificial and manipulated.... Though we strive for perfect pictures they still needs a bit of shadow and irregularities for perspective and comfort to the brain.... The brain will reject something (second photo) as fake if it does not have most of the attributes we expect to see in a object...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal