AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-01-31, 9:19pm

hi I am new to lampworking, but i was wondering if you would post a tut on your vessels??????
Old 2009-01-31, 10:39pm
I speak Murrini!

Hi Heidz...welcome to LE!!!! There are several books that offer basic vessel-making information - the one I have is called "Glass Bead Workshop" by Jeri L. Warhaftig. I was directed to it by MaryBeth here on LE after I posted a request for a vessel tutorial myself recently - here's the link to that thread so you can see what transpired:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=vessel

I think there may be upcoming tutorial(s) on making vessels soon - so stay tuned!!!! I'm in the same boat as you, sweetie!

And Rachelle - those vessels of yours are absolutely stunning!!!! I so wish I could find someone close who is either offering a group or one-on-one class! I'd love to see this being done up close and personal!

Good luck to all!
De in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-02-01, 10:20am
Uh-oh means it's too late

I know the original poster talked about core-formed vessels but I bought SLCuniques tutorial on the "pleated vessel" and it is so well written that anyone can do it. I don't do boro so she suggests other ways but she says the techniques are for hard and soft glass. I bought her tut on Etsy check it out it is great. If I can find the link I will post it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-01, 10:23am
Uh-oh means it's too late

Okay here is the link
http://www.etsy.com/search_results.p...essel+tutorial
hope it works try cutting and pasting if it doesn't!!!!
I will try and post pics of mine when I get some decent ones to show

Old 2009-02-03, 6:01am

I make my vessels on the end of the mandrel and seem to get so many questions about how they are made that I wrote a blog post about it some time ago.
If you're interested, it's here.

Old 2009-02-03, 6:37am

Hi. .I hope is it okay to post a pic in here.. ?

I make mine on the end of a large mandrel too. I have inserted a picture. Maryanne , your tut is amazing. Wow.

:-

"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life’s coming attractions" Albert Einstein.
Old 2009-02-03, 10:27am
I speak Murrini!

Here's a link to Jaci's tutorial on her webpage! Isn't her work wonderful? I just love it...I've GOTTA get my set up going and give this a try:

http://www.fireglassbeads.com/pages/tutorials.php

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-02-14, 6:02pm

Hey! Thanks Michelle.. My tut link is in my siggy line.
However, I do not use mandrels to make my vessels. I use tubing. For soft glass tubing, www.morettiandmore.com carries 104 tubing. Off mandrel vessels are really easy using tubing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
I know the original poster talked about core-formed vessels but I bought SLCuniques tutorial on the "pleated vessel" and it is so well written that anyone can do it. I don't do boro so she suggests other ways but she says the techniques are for hard and soft glass. I bought her tut on Etsy check it out it is great. If I can find the link I will post it!

Last edited by slcuniques; 2009-02-14 at 6:07pm.
Old 2009-02-15, 3:07am

ok... and who is gonna wipe all that drooling from my desk now????

such beautiful vessels in here, I am in stuck in admiration!!!
thanks for sharing these great examples everyone!

this is a little vessel done on a thick mandrel (I think around 8mm diameter). I used half of a pharmacy cork to close it
"winter konzentrat"
Attached Images

Old 2009-02-15, 3:29am

That is just gorgeous Fabienne

:-

"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life’s coming attractions" Albert Einstein.
Old 2009-02-15, 10:35am

oh thank you Lorraine (blushing and happy)

I especially admired the work you put on the lid of yours (and of course I drooled over the whole thing, dichroic, in pink, gasp!!)

Last edited by perlienne; 2009-02-15 at 10:37am.
Old 2010-10-09, 5:00am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Using a Vessel Mandrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie L View Post
I would love some quick tips on the blown kind. For example how do you wind the glass on the end of the pipe/ brass tube - is there a right or wrong way. When you start to blow what should you be doing to keep the glass warm ( if anything ). Once done how do you get the little "drop" at the end of the vessel like you show in the blue vessel in your siggy Tink ? What is the best way to form the handles.

Oh I would love a little tut on blown vessels. LOL

There must be a zillion ways to blow a vessel on a hollow mandrel, but this is one simple way!

With this one I wrapped a flat mouth to start the Vessel on the end of the Vessel Mandrel, and then began to build a hollow bead out over the end of the Vessel Mandrel - going from left to right.

Once I had the hollow bubble coiled and made sure there were no holes in the coils, I blocked the end of the mandrel and began to gently heat to smooth and round the hollow out. If you don't block the end the air in the tube makes it easier for your hollow to collapse.

After the hollow was smoothed out, I turned the mandrel end to my mouth and rolled the hollow above the flame to warm it uniformly as I gently blew. If you over expand it it will pop. Just a slight increase and rounding is what I could get. If you pop it you may be able to apply molten glass to repair it.

After it was blown I kept the Vessel Mandrel hole covered as I let the hollow cool a bit and solidify, and then decorated it. I used a stiff green transparent glass and decorated with encased goldstone stringer.

Once done, I added a dot of green on the bottom of the hollow and then a dot of the goldstone to finish the bottom. I then added a round of green around the top of the flat rim to make the lip pronounced. Then I added goldstone dots to the rim for the final details. I found that adding the lip at the start meant it might shatter because it gets to cool as I worked with the hollow. Adding the lip at the end worked out fine.

I hope that helps a bit.
Old 2010-10-09, 5:12am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Pandora Mandrel Vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakey View Post
Does anyone know of a vessell tutorial?
Not the blown kind. Is there any other kind?
Does anyone do the kind where you wind steelwool on the end of you mandrel?
Or how else can you o it?
Thanks
Cyndi

For these vessels I use a Pandora sized mandrel. You just heat the mandrel very well, and then wrap your vessel as short or long as you want it to be and decorate it. Your inside chamber will be the width of the mandrel, which is good sized and can be measured for a cork if you like.

If you want the oval shape, then build up the glass in the center or the end and heat/smooth it before decorating. I add the built-up rim last to keep it from cooling and cracking.

Maybe others can say how they do it differently, but this is a very simple way.
Old 2010-10-09, 6:29am

I haven't played around with making vessels for a long time. I found an inexpensive source for blow tube type of mandrels. I went to an auto parts store, purchased brake lines for around $5 and used my tube cutter to cut them in half. I would dip the end in bead release and hang them to dry until I was read to use them. They worked like a charm. CarrieB
Old 2010-10-09, 6:58am
Hot Glass Neophyte

What a neat idea. I got my flared Vessel Mandrel from the Devardi Glass site. It is heavy to use but it has the cone shaped end of the mandrel. It's at the bottom of the page on this link. They offer the "STAINLESS STEEL THIN WALL TUBE MANDRELS AND PIPES" too.

http://www.devardiglass.com/mandrels.htm
Old 2010-10-09, 10:13pm

My Etsy shop is empty now. I've taken everything down but you can get my Tutorials on my website. I'm phasing Etsy out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
Old 2010-10-11, 12:04pm

I have a book in which Barbara Becker Simon (www.bbsimon.com) shows how to make vessels with steel wool on a standard mandrel. Unfortunately, my book is up north--and I'm not. If I remember correctly, a number of artists contributed techniques in the book. Maybe someone can chime in or you can probably reach Barbara through her web site.
Old 2010-10-11, 12:35pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Can someone tell me, when you make a vessel over steel wool and bead release, how do you clean the bead release out of the inner curve of the vessel?
Old 2010-10-11, 12:53pm
ManBearPig

I make this style vessel.

May be a little big to wear though. However the techniques involved are pretty much the same as for a vessel to wear...

Old 2010-10-11, 1:03pm
Shelarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Can someone tell me, when you make a vessel over steel wool and bead release, how do you clean the bead release out of the inner curve of the vessel?
Baking soda and vinegar?
A sonic cleaner?
Tiny, swarming nanobots?

Old 2010-10-12, 7:40am
ManBearPig

A wire brush would probably work as well...

Old 2010-10-16, 4:45pm

I make them with bigger mouths, then I just use a dremel tool to clean them.
Attached Images

Old 2010-10-16, 6:59pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

http://www.jewelryartistmagazine.com...entedglass.cfm
this is a tut that I found from the lapidary journal... I had hard time blowing the vessel, so maybe this hollow technique will help.