No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-09, 2:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Yes ... only 90 with 90 (and 104 with 104), etc.

Question for the peeps ... Can you layer light yellow oover red and get a hot pink in soft glass?? I've heard this is the what to get popping pinks from boro ... haven't tried it yet with boro or soft glass.
Laura - it works in boro because the light yellows in boro are silvered glasses, amber-purple family. Lighter batches of Yellow Elvis over Red Elvis, for example. In the 104 line, you'd want to use a silvered glass: TAG's Zeus works very well for this over reds or oranges, as does Clio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-06-09, 5:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
Laura - it works in boro because the light yellows in boro are silvered glasses, amber-purple family. Lighter batches of Yellow Elvis over Red Elvis, for example. In the 104 line, you'd want to use a silvered glass: TAG's Zeus works very well for this over reds or oranges, as does Clio.
Thanks for the info Jenny. Should have known you'd have the answer!!!

I have some frit I bought from Sandree that is I think NS light yellow. She told me it was awesome for fushia pinks when put over red but I haven't managed to get around to that yet. Wonder why ... oh yeah ... I can't stop playing with Mai Tai!!! LOL (maybe my new nickname should be Lush-ious Laura) ... Tequila Sunrise, Mai Tai, anything with a drink name ... I seem to be drawn too. Hmmm. Coincidence??

Old 2011-06-10, 2:32am

I recently put rubino over CiM Crocus, and it looks wonderful as a HOT pink. The pic is not too good, but you get the idea.

Cheryl
Old 2011-06-10, 12:44pm

Aren't a lot of the commercially produced pink glass (beads or items) usually enameled or paint?

Dori

Well behaved women seldom make history ~ Laura Thatcher Ulrich
Old 2011-06-13, 3:57am
addicted to the flame

Boy, hot pink is difficult. It's one of those colors that you get either by layering, or by depth. That is, 104 Rubino, or 90 Cranberry striker are both transparent; the thicker you layer it, the darker it will be. Opalescents are the same thick or thin. Bullseye pink opal is the darkest pink they offer, but it isn't hot pink. I mix cranberry with pink opal, or Pink Peony (an old special production color) to get a darker pink, but I've never gotten a "hot" pink. The hottest pink I've gotten was Cranberry over white.
But I make very thin flower petals, about 1-2mm thick. People who make round beads will have more options because their beads are thicker - if that makes any sense.
Petal pink and Gelly's Sty (104) are very pretty shades, but not "hot."
One of the most beautiful combos I've seen was a Rubino layered with transparent orange. Because these colors chemically hate one another, they must be separated by a thin layer of clear.
Old 2011-06-17, 7:19pm

Transparent orange rolled in silver pixie dust. This is the closest I've gotten to a hot pink.
Attached Images

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2011-06-17, 7:41pm

Well as many of you know I love Cassie Donlen beads and she makes a really pretty pink using Bullseye glass. I finally got my cast off my hand in a few days I think I might be able to torch for the first time (besides when I took my class in Feb or this year). Talk about the longest wait ever. I cant wait to try some of your suggestions. Keep them coming though and send pictures I love looking at all the different colors of pink everyone makes. Thanks!

"Its never to late to be what you might have been!"
Old 2011-06-17, 7:59pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Donna,those are beautiful!

Old 2011-06-17, 9:39pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Hey Judith .... Did you do anything special to get the bright pink? I have used Pink Lady but didn't get this gorgeous color!!
Sorry for the late reply Angie, I didn't get email notifications from this thread.
Pink Lady is a striking glass too, so you have to let it cool down (check under the desk to be sure it's no longer glowing), and re-introduce it into the flame to get the deep fuchsia color.
Without striking it looks more like a veiled cane (clear with pink streaks).

ETA: If you look at the 3 spacers at the right upper corner, you can actually see how the pink is striking to different levels of intensity (depending on how patient I was ... I always do the spacers as last thing when I made a set, and by that time I'm "over it" LOL).

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->

Last edited by Judith Billig; 2011-06-17 at 9:42pm.
Old 2011-06-17, 9:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Judith, is there a 96 Pink Lady also? I have some 104 Reichenbach Pink Lady and it's more of a purple, certainly not that bright fuchsia you've got.
Angie, no this is definitely 104.
Maybe a different batch? Is yours older?
I just got a new batch of it, and it's the same fuchsia/magenta than in this set (which was early 2010 if I remember correctly).
The rod color is not quite as pink though.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-06-17, 10:15pm

Where can I purchase the Reichenbach Pink Lady? I wasnt able to find it on the Frantz website.

Old 2011-06-17, 11:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabathaD View Post
Where can I purchase the Reichenbach Pink Lady? I wasnt able to find it on the Frantz website.
ABR http://www.dichroicimagery.com/ has a good selection of Reichenbach, competitive pricing and awesome service.
Old 2011-06-18, 4:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanithS View Post
ABR http://www.dichroicimagery.com/ has a good selection of Reichenbach, competitive pricing and awesome service.
Thank you!

Old 2011-06-19, 9:22am
Angel's Mom

Reenie has Reichenbach, too: www.flamekissedglass.com.
Old 2011-06-19, 12:21pm
Angel's Mom

And Sarah Hornik's Think Pink e-book is great, too. She uses Rubino Oro under and over all kinds of color combinations. Tons of lickable pictures.
Old 2011-06-19, 2:26pm

Thanks Kris!

Old 2011-06-19, 3:33pm
Angel's Mom

I experimented today with some different oranges and pixie dust.

L to R:
1) Vetrofond Orange Trans, 2)CIM Clockwork, 3) Translucent Orange, 4) Arancio Perfecto all rolled in White Sparkle pixie dust.
Then I got out some 5&6) Bullseye Pink Striker (top one is all Pink Striker, bottom one is over white, pardon the scum), and then I rolled the 7) Pink Striker in pixie dust.

I'd say the Clockwork is about the closest to a medium hot-pink. Wonder what Rubino would look like over Clockwork?
Old 2011-06-19, 11:18pm
one day at a time

If you want a pretty good fuchsia/magenta color, mix BE cranberry and neo lavender transparent, 50/50. Or use a base of either and use the other color on top in a few layers of frit. It will make a mottled color somewhat, and it's pretty nice.
Old 2011-06-20, 1:40am

Rubino on white is what I used for the dots here:
Attached Images

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-06-20, 10:19am
Triumphantly Knit!

I got an awesome colour putting effetre dk pink alabaster over clockwork....

yummmmm

angel blessings
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-06-22, 1:15pm

Thanks for the pictures!

Old 2011-06-23, 10:32am

Gold fume on white is a great pink.
G.
Old 2011-12-06, 4:39pm

I hope I am not being inappropriate in asking a follow-up question sort of tangential to this thread. If so, would someone please send me a virtual heads up?
Judith posted some incredible beads with a fabulous pink and unbelievable shards in this thread. What a set!! I am blown away. I make my pink with transparent orange (072) then rubino. It turns out pretty well. However, I am in LOVE with those shards! I am new to shards and haven't been able to get them so shiny and pretty. Does anyone know what glass produces such a gorgeous shine? I assume it would be a silver glass...so...does that mean the rubino might have to be encased first before using the shards to keep the pink? Also, would you reduce silver glass while it is in bubble form (when making the shards) or after placement on the bead or both? There is just SO much to learn! My brain hurts. ;X
Thank you!
Old 2011-12-06, 5:53pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabathaD View Post
WOW! That sounds difficult. The beads are beautiful though.
It really isn't that difficult, at least in my experience. Silver glass takes experimentation. I think if you can, it's worth it to invest in a 1/4lb and have no expectations of beautiful beads. If you work them over a base color, a little goes a long way.

I have read all I can on Clio and Kalypso. I've managed to get the hot pink in spots. Admittedly it's not a great bead like you see here but every bead provides an Ah-HA! moment.

Last edited by SGA; 2011-12-06 at 5:57pm.
Old 2011-12-06, 6:46pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdebicki View Post
Judith posted some incredible beads with a fabulous pink and unbelievable shards in this thread. What a set!! I am blown away. I make my pink with transparent orange (072) then rubino. It turns out pretty well. However, I am in LOVE with those shards! I am new to shards and haven't been able to get them so shiny and pretty. Does anyone know what glass produces such a gorgeous shine? I assume it would be a silver glass...so...does that mean the rubino might have to be encased first before using the shards to keep the pink? Also, would you reduce silver glass while it is in bubble form (when making the shards) or after placement on the bead or both? There is just SO much to learn! My brain hurts. ;X
Thank you!
My guess is the shards on Judith's beads are Aurae and yes that is silver glass. Aurae reduces with just a quick waft or two through a reduction flame so it doesn't fume the Pink Lady, which is the base glass Judith used.

You reduce after you put the shards on the bead. You can buy the shards from Double Helix if you don't want to make them:

http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com/shards.aspx

Hope this helps.

Liz

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-12-06, 9:05pm

Oh wow that is awesome! I actually have a bunch of aurae but have never made shards with it. I know what I am doing tomorrow! Thank you so much!
Old 2012-07-24, 10:32pm
No Longer an LE Member

yummy colors Judith !
Old 2012-07-24, 11:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
My guess is the shards on Judith's beads are Aurae and yes that is silver glass. Aurae reduces with just a quick waft or two through a reduction flame so it doesn't fume the Pink Lady, which is the base glass Judith used.

You reduce after you put the shards on the bead. You can buy the shards from Double Helix if you don't want to make them:

http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com/shards.aspx

Hope this helps.

Liz
Yes, it's Aurae shards that I used for these beads.
And as Liz already mentioned, Aurae reduces very easily. If you work fast with a nearly neutral flame, it doesn't fume the pink.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2020-08-28, 6:49pm

Default Pink Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Hey Judith .... Did you do anything special to get the bright pink? I have used Pink Lady but didn't get this gorgeous color!!
Hello people. I just purchased Pink Lady from Reichenbach, but I find it to be a bit more lavender than pink. Is this because it’s probably a different batch?
Old 2024-02-23, 6:46pm
J R Hooper

I just ran across this thread from 2011 doing a google search, thought the website looked familiar LOL Damn, this Pink thing is like, really a thing huh?