No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2005-10-07, 1:49pm
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth
Keep 'em coming you guys. And I hope those of you who have posted your first attempts come back and post your progression.
Moth, thank you for this tut!!!

Here's a vessel inspired by your tutorial and this thread...I'm making more today and I'll post again if they turn out.

Teresa
Old 2005-10-07, 4:47pm

I made these two last night and loved them, but I let the pink one cool too much before putting it in the kiln. Guess you shouldn't stare at toads too much - it cracks them up.
Thanks again, Mary, great tutorial!!!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2005-10-07, 9:05pm
Metallic Flame Studios

CRACKED or not! You can send them to me... I'll love them like they are the whole and bee-U-tee_ful toadies that they are!!!!

gotta hate it when they crack up like that! dang it, can't they just laugh like the rest of us.... damn laughing toads.....

hugs NiK.....

stac

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-10-07, 9:42pm

Stacey - only the pink one cracked, and thanks - I'll add her into your rainbow bead package. I love them getting good homes, you know that. She turned out so darn cute, too - didja notice the painted toe and finger-nails?

~:
~:

~:

Old 2005-10-08, 7:17am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadsofharmony
Hi there...okay...how the heck do you get a nice 2 inch disk without it flopping or cracking????

LOL!

Thanks!
Keep her hot and in her place. Hehe.

~~Mary

Old 2005-10-08, 7:21am
Mary Lockwood

Awesome vessel Teresa! LOVE that color combination and the shape really compliments the implosion well. You did a great job. Hope you show more too!

Nikki!! What a super job. I hope you had a good time making them. Your frogs look pretty happy with their new homes.

Love it Love it Love it!!!

~~Mary

Old 2005-10-09, 12:12am

Mary - It's addictive. You've put me off special orders for right now... (Yeah, like I need a reason to procrastinate.)

~:
~:

~:

Old 2005-10-10, 9:03am
Student of DachZen

Default more implosion vessels

You're right, Nikki, it's addictive! lol

Teresa
Old 2005-10-10, 9:18am

Hi, I just love this tutorial and the instructions were extremely easy to follow as I am still learning - took a class almost a month ago, teaching my husband and he made one last night. My question is....on the ones that I see flowers on them, were they applied after the final shaping and then encased again? Thanks again for this wonderful tutorial. Everyone's projects are so lovely and so different.
Sherry
Old 2005-10-10, 7:12pm

What cool vases! Darn... I gotta go make another one. *itching at arm in appropriate bead-addict fashion and wandering off*

~:
~:

~:

Old 2005-10-10, 9:16pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads
What cool vases! Darn... I gotta go make another one. *itching at arm in appropriate bead-addict fashion and wandering off*
Nik,

Where are the implosion sheepies???

*giggle*

*giggle*

*skipping off to find my pillow for the night*

Stac

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004

Old 2005-10-11, 2:44pm

*scowl* Go away, you. I can't do that to my poor sheep.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2005-10-11, 3:14pm
Crazy Gal from Idaho!

At our local Treasure Valley bead gathering this weekend, a wonderful gal whose name escapes me was showing her implosion beads based on this thread, and I had been playing with Anakin's tutorial for doing marble implosions, so I had to come out here and read this...this is very fun! My pictures didn't turn out very good, because I was taking them in a hurry this AM on my way out the door, but here you go:

Thanks Moth for the cool tutorial!

Last edited by GlassJules; 2005-10-11 at 3:26pm.
Old 2005-10-11, 6:09pm

Oooohhh... Pretty...

~:
~:

~:

Old 2005-10-11, 6:44pm

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I tried it on my HH this afternoon and it worked! Bead's in the kiln. Lots of possibilities with this! It was actually fun and I didn't have a thick mandrel ready and didn't make the disc as wide and it STILL worked!
Old 2005-10-11, 9:07pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads
*scowl* Go away, you. I can't do that to my poor sheep.
hey, I said IMPLOSION, not EXPLOSION!!! that's gotta be better, right?

*sticking out pouty lip, apologetically*

Old 2005-10-11, 11:57pm
Fire and Fluidity

Default Boro mandrel implosion

Ok, everyone was having so much fun with this that I had to try it too Of course, boro is so stiff that it doesn't drip down the mandrel like soft glass apparently does, so my implosion didn't go as far as I wanted. The clear end looked kinda bare, so I put a couple of flowers on it. What do you think?

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2005-10-12, 5:56am

Don,that is so beautiful, looks like a new garden of budding flowers.
Sherry
Old 2005-10-12, 11:51am
Anyone need some spacers?

Is it possible to do this with frit on the inside and if so how would I go about getting the frit stuck to the disk side?

I worked at it today and got the basics of it down. I love the looks of it and will post photos once I get calmed down and stop looking at the bead so long that it causes cracks LOL. Oh the things we know we shouldn't do.

Thanks, Tracy
Old 2005-10-12, 9:34pm
Fire-Retarded

I'm joining in the Implosion Bandwagon! I couldn't stop making them . . . Mary: Thanks so much for sharing that awesome tutorial with us! Your diagram was great, too! Big hugs to you!! Your generosity is amazing!!

Here are my first attempts:

Old 2005-10-13, 7:07am

Wow!! Gorgeous, Karen. Aren't these fun. Everyone has done a wonderful job. My husband made one (I do best by watching first) and he had a ball. I need more colors. Thanks again for such a great tutorial, Mary
Sherry
Old 2005-10-13, 9:22am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch Temptress
Is it possible to do this with frit on the inside and if so how would I go about getting the frit stuck to the disk side?
I've done one with frit on the flat side of the disk. I made the disk as usual, then turned it face upwards so that the mandrel was sticking straight up, then dropped frit all along the hot disk and heated it gently from the bottom and mashed it till it fused. Then I turned it back to horizontal and proceeded from there as usual. Came out interesting. I don't have a pic, tho. Post when you do yours, I'd love to see it!

Teresa
Old 2005-10-13, 9:23am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarlander
I'm joining in the Implosion Bandwagon! I couldn't stop making them
Yeah, they are kinda like those potato chips - you can't make just one! lol

Teresa
Old 2005-10-13, 6:40pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Thanks Teresa,
I will try the frit tomorrow. I made somemore today and had some turn out great. I will take some photos and post tomorrow.

Tracy
Old 2005-10-17, 11:01am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadlvr
Hi, I just love this tutorial and the instructions were extremely easy to follow as I am still learning - took a class almost a month ago, teaching my husband and he made one last night. My question is....on the ones that I see flowers on them, were they applied after the final shaping and then encased again? Thanks again for this wonderful tutorial. Everyone's projects are so lovely and so different.
Sherry

Hi Sherry!

For the ones that I make, I do the implosion, get the final shape right...then I add the flowers. I don't generally encase again after the flowers, but there is no reason not to do that if you like.

Have fun with it!!

~~Mary

Old 2005-10-17, 11:03am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassJules
At our local Treasure Valley bead gathering this weekend, a wonderful gal whose name escapes me was showing her implosion beads based on this thread, and I had been playing with Anakin's tutorial for doing marble implosions, so I had to come out here and read this...this is very fun! My pictures didn't turn out very good, because I was taking them in a hurry this AM on my way out the door, but here you go:

Thanks Moth for the cool tutorial!
GlassJules!!! That is gorgeous! If that is what it looks like in pictures that you think didn't turn out very good, then I can only imagine how they look in-hand!

~~Mary

Old 2005-10-17, 11:05am
Mary Lockwood

Vickie...how is it going girl??? Have anything to post yet?

Don...I have one of your vessels from a WC vessel exchange...still love it!! Your mandrel implosions in boro are great! Have you tried anymore? I can imagine it is a whole different 'feel'!

~~Mary

Old 2005-10-17, 11:08am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch Temptress

I worked at it today and got the basics of it down. I love the looks of it and will post photos once I get calmed down and stop looking at the bead so long that it causes cracks LOL. Oh the things we know we shouldn't do.

Thanks, Tracy
Hi Tracy!
I can't see any reason not to do it with frit. I would bring the disk up under the flame and get the inside surface good and hot. Hold it vertical, the sprinkle the frit onto the hot glass disk. Gradually reintroduce into the flame to get it all adhered...then proceed as with dots.

Be sure to let us know how it goes for you!
~~Mary

Old 2005-10-17, 11:09am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by adovbs
I've done one with frit on the flat side of the disk. I made the disk as usual, then turned it face upwards so that the mandrel was sticking straight up, then dropped frit all along the hot disk and heated it gently from the bottom and mashed it till it fused. Then I turned it back to horizontal and proceeded from there as usual. Came out interesting. I don't have a pic, tho. Post when you do yours, I'd love to see it!

Teresa
Yeah! Zactly! LOL I should have read further and I wouldn't have had to make that last post.

Old 2005-10-17, 11:17am
Mary Lockwood

Karen, what a bounty of implosions! I don't think I've ever made that many at one sitting before. Great job and I love the colors. Aren't they a blast to make?

I even made one myself last night. Here it is:

~~Mary