Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2011-08-21, 6:58pm

Hi everyone. Wow, there are some fab beads here! Thanks Dawn for posting this great idea. I hope you had a lucrative and enjoyable show.
So I had to jam the bobbin on a pair of long tweezers, because I wasn't able to get any chopsticks locally, and don't have the patience to wait for a postal delivery. I wanted to try this now dammitt!! lol. Here's my first attempt, which I was pretty happy with.

Now to try and track down some steel chopsticks. This could get addictive haha!
Jennie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-21, 8:19pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thank you Nat for the comment. One thing I like about the bobbins with all the holes is..it's easier to make your dots space just right!

Old 2011-08-22, 2:20am

Great Job Jennie, I quite like that bobbin style too with the four holes! Great colour choices and very neat!

Thats a great idea Sheila, I never even thought to line up dots with holes.... DOH! I do admit though that I resisted the urge to put extra glass onto the outside of the dots.... I think it would beg for cracks, but yet it taunts me ... LOL

Nat

Old 2011-08-22, 4:41am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
Good luck with the show Dawn! I'm sure you will sell out! So, how are y'all selling these, the ones that don't have a bail? Are you selling them by themselves, with other beads, made up into jewelry, etc?
It was a fun show. I sold the one with a silk cord going through the center and one with a bail with the black ball chain. People seemed to love them. My show was ok. We had a MAJOR storm which cleared out the show right when it started to really get busy on the 1st day. This was my first Fine Art show and my only finished jewelry show that I have done. The show was judged and I won 1st place for my art so that was a nice suprise.

I love what everyone is doing with the bobbins! Now I'm back to the real world of housework... boy I've let things slide preparing for the show. Have a great week everyone.

Old 2011-08-22, 4:43am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
Thank you Nat for the comment. One thing I like about the bobbins with all the holes is..it's easier to make your dots space just right!
Me too

Old 2011-08-22, 4:46am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimi115 View Post
" I use my EMS to make my bobbin beads, the end of the chopstick fits really nice into it. I can not sing high enough praise for my EMS. "

I hope I don't sound stupid, but what is EMS? lol

Chris S.
Check out Scotts videos to see them in action

Old 2011-08-22, 7:05am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by labelleperle View Post
Hi everyone. Wow, there are some fab beads here! Thanks Dawn for posting this great idea. I hope you had a lucrative and enjoyable show.
So I had to jam the bobbin on a pair of long tweezers, because I wasn't able to get any chopsticks locally, and don't have the patience to wait for a postal delivery. I wanted to try this now dammitt!! lol. Here's my first attempt, which I was pretty happy with.

Now to try and track down some steel chopsticks. This could get addictive haha!
Jennie
Sweet bead Jennie!

Old 2011-08-22, 8:02am
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

I have to add my thanks to this thread as well!
These are fun!

Old 2011-08-22, 8:03am

And another...
Old 2011-08-22, 5:44pm
Mad about Glass

Lovely bobbin beads Jennie and bluhealer. Love Anne's bobbin pendants in the jewellery thread.

[url]

Old 2011-08-23, 7:36am
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks Jenn! Here is one I did yesterday using JameyLynn's striking murrini and aurae dots. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet!
Attached Images

Old 2011-08-23, 7:56am
MacGalver

Reading this thread with great interest ~ wow lots of cool beads! so here's my question.... when you are filling the center area of the bobbin, are you using a thick stringer or aq full sized rod? Everybody's edges look so tidy, and I would think there would be a problem getting glass stuck to the edge of the bobbin itself... how do you avoid it?

Jo

Old 2011-08-23, 8:02am
Detail G-Mama!

Very carefully! I use a pinpoint flame to heat up the bobbin enough to get the glass to stick so that I don't touch the sides of the bobbin too much with the heat. I used a full size rod and push down as I'm wrapping the bobbin. Once you have the bobbin full to the outer edges, I roll it on a marver to even out the edges, by then you don't have to worry about burning through the bobbin holes. Hope that made sense!

Old 2011-08-23, 8:14am
Your Royal Fritness

nice one Anne.

Jo I use a 5 to 6mm rod. You can put bead release on the inside of the bobbin spool only and make your bead spin in the bobbin. I've made a few but perfer filling up the bobbin with glass. There are a lot of tips in the 1st 2 pages of the thread. Now that my show is over with I'll get busy on the tutorial so all the information is all in one post

Old 2011-08-23, 8:14am
MacGalver

Oh that does make sense, Anne! So do you sort of overfill the cavity with a disk bead and then let it melt in and down to meet the side walls? I tried one quite a while back and ended up with ugly edges of glass sticking on the metal bobbin. I didn't like that look so I didn't go further, but nobody else seems to be having that problem.....

Old 2011-08-23, 8:29am
MacGalver

Thanks Dawn ~ I had read the whole thread before, but I just reread it and I think I've got it now.... also, love the idea of overfilling so the edge is all glass instead of the metal/glass edge. Thanks everybody for the great tips!

Jo

Old 2011-08-23, 9:11am
Cancer SUCKS!

I have a quick questions to those that have made these. When the glass sort of pushes up through the holes, would it be possible to add a dot from the outside that would melt and adhere? Or would it not stick because of the metal.

Does this make sense? LOL

Old 2011-08-23, 9:47am
Your Royal Fritness

Perfect sense. It will stick for both reasons

Old 2011-08-23, 11:23am
Detail G-Mama!

Dawn I want to appologize to you, this is your insight on how to use bobbins and I was just explaining how I got the glass on mine. Like you said, they are expalained in the earlier part of this thread and can't wait till you do the official tut on it!

Old 2011-08-23, 11:53am
Your Royal Fritness

Anne no appolgy needed, I did not take it that way at all. I hope I did not sound snippy, if I did I'm sorry too. There is so much great information shared by ALL throughout this post. I love the direction everyone is going with this idea! IMHO that is what these forums are for

Old 2011-08-23, 11:57am
Detail G-Mama!

Nope, you were not snippy or anything like that, I was just on the torch thinking about my post and I thought to myslef "that is not your idea, you shouldn't be posting how you do things!"

Old 2011-08-23, 12:16pm

I did try one with stringers but it took several forevers to get that thing full!
I use a graphite stump shaper and it's just the right width to fit inside and push down the glass---straightens out the bobbin edges if I've overheated them, too.
Old 2011-08-23, 12:28pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Really nice work, everyone!

I finally made a tool with the chopstick, burned my fingers once too often.
I used one of those wooden handles with the pre-drilled hole - got mine from A'Springs, and have seen them at Kent's Tools. They probably have them in lots of hardware stores.

The hole was just a smidge smaller than the fat end of the chopstick, so when I jammed it in, it locked in place securely. I'm still destroying bobbins, but what fun! Found a bag of 2 dozen at the flea market for 25cents, maybe one of them will be the breakthru bobbin!
Attached Images

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2011-08-23, 1:21pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
Nope, you were not snippy or anything like that, I was just on the torch thinking about my post and I thought to myslef "that is not your idea, you shouldn't be posting how you do things!"
Thanks for the explanation, I was worried I hurt your feeling some how and I did not mean it that way at all.

Old 2011-08-23, 1:24pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
Really nice work, everyone!

I finally made a tool with the chopstick, burned my fingers once too often.
I used one of those wooden handles with the pre-drilled hole - got mine from A'Springs, and have seen them at Kent's Tools. They probably have them in lots of hardware stores.

The hole was just a smidge smaller than the fat end of the chopstick, so when I jammed it in, it locked in place securely. I'm still destroying bobbins, but what fun! Found a bag of 2 dozen at the flea market for 25cents, maybe one of them will be the breakthru bobbin!
Great idea Sharon I can't wait to see what you create! Next time I sit down at the torch I'm preping for an aquarium bobbin. I've been wrapping my mind around that one all weekend

Old 2011-08-23, 3:22pm
Janell

Default Buttons and Bobbins

Here is what I did, thank you for the wonderful idea!
Attached Images

[url]
Old 2011-08-23, 5:36pm

Awesome bobbins in this thread! Here are a few of my favorites that I've done.

Old 2011-08-24, 4:50am

Woah, I just popped back in and there are some lovely bobbins in here!

Bluhealer - Great colours and I love the murrini on that top orange one especially!

Anne - Those raised dots look fantastic with the striking murrini, just fantastic.

Sharon - You clever lady, I love the way you have set that up with the handle. Is it easy to spin with a big handle like that? I have only ever spun skinny rods and stuff so I might have to try it out.

Janell - I am loving the jewellery and the matching discs at the bottom too, fabulous work in lovely colours.

Mary - Those are just gorgeous, the keys are fantastic and I love the frit and decorations in the glass too. Yum!

Nat

Old 2011-08-24, 6:13am

Thanks Nat!
Old 2011-08-24, 6:39am
Your Royal Fritness

Wow love the ALL! I would love to find some small bobbins to make these on too. Off to search the net