LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-22, 1:37am

Default Using Vessels for drug storage

We just finished doing a show and had sudden interest in vessel beads by kids. Was surprised until we overheard one talk about puting "coke" in it. I just about died!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-22, 1:50am

We have a lot of request for small jars with corks (stash jars) is what they call them. Long time ago it was to stash pot in; now who knows what they are stashing in them. We were at a concert one time sitting behind some teenagers and one girl pulled out a box of tampons from her bag and opened it and there was a stash of pot and and a small pipe in it. Who would have thought to search that?
Old 2011-09-22, 10:30am

Wow!!

Old 2011-09-23, 10:05am

ew... how 1980. LOL!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-09-23, 10:36am

I dont think most of these go to young kids. Most dont have the money for this kind of thing. Mostly aging baby boomers who smoke buy these
Old 2011-09-23, 10:41am

I think the vessel beads she is talking about have a much smaller hole and a much smaller capacity. Not the "nugg jars" you see all over the place in the west.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-09-23, 11:42am

Is there a big market for them?

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-09-23, 12:22pm

There's a big market for anything pot related.

Old 2011-09-23, 1:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
ew... how 1980. LOL!
The more things change......Sniff Sniff.....I am feeling old now.
Old 2011-09-23, 7:40pm
honorary bead lady

I'm gonna have to get a larger blowpipe, cuz I don't think the little 1/4 hole isnt gonna work

Last edited by houptdavid; 2011-09-24 at 7:38am.
Old 2011-09-23, 11:05pm

I assumed that is what people used them for.
Old 2011-09-24, 12:41am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

I've also had people requesting vessels for coke stash.
I use a tampon box in my shop to stash emergency money until I can bank it. Figured not a lot of shoplifters will steal that!

Old 2011-09-24, 7:59am

Hmmmmm.... I have a couple big ass hollow mandrels.......
I've been able to sell my hemp peace bracelets-they seem to be quite popular at outdoor concerts

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-09-24, 12:37pm

I make core vessels with an opening on the 1/2 to 1 inch size.I wear them on a chain. I went to the Glassroots show here in Madison last year, a hard glass showcase/flameoff and had immense interest in the piece I was wearing. I was chastised by several for not bringing pieces with me to sell or trade. These are NOT coke style jars. Rather nug jug stash type. Personally I have chakra crystals in the ones I wear but I don't ask nor care what others do with them after they buy them.

Old 2011-09-24, 12:47pm

Oh by the way I usually sell out my these type vessels at shows. I make mine similarly to the tut in The Flow by Laurie Nessel but with some difference in prep, I make 24 or so at a time dip dry dip dry dip dry. a light sanding to smooth and and they are ready. And I clean them out when done with a dremel tool and the pink type grinder on a flex. I also always use white or cream for a base and then apply the vessel color on top. This makes for a cleaner looking interior.

Old 2011-09-25, 1:50am

One person specifically told his wife/girlfriend that he could put coke in there.
Everyone was taking the corks out to see how much space there was (not a lot!!)

Old 2011-09-25, 6:18am
BeadsonCypress

Mine were bought by older ladies for "ashes". But the drug thing had not escaped me.

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2011-09-25, 2:50pm
Glass-aholic

Its not like drugs are your intention when making these, so I would not worry... Its not like they are not just going to get something elsewhere that will 'fit their needs' they will do what they do... Yes it sucks, but there is little we can do about it.

Im sure there are some desperate pot heads who have used a big long bead with a decent whole as a roach clip. They just didn't remember to tell you about it...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-09-26, 9:38am
tweetysweetie

"Im sure there are some desperate pot heads who have used a big long bead with a decent whole as a roach clip"

I get requests for these all the time.