No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-06-04, 10:29pm
Newb boro fanatic

Default Contact lenses?

Does anyone wear prescription contact lenses while torching? Is it alright to do so? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it wasn't advisable... I'll probably double check with an optometrist anyway if I do go to get a contact lenses prescription...

I'm thinking it could make safety glasses selection much easier, just getting plain frames even goggles instead of fit-overs!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-04, 10:57pm

Hi Rodger, I do - I wear the semi-soft ones, they stay in a full month at a time, then get swapped for a new pair. I have worn them for seven years, torched for four of those. I've never had any problems, unless I was working on big stuff for a long time and forgot to drink, and then only if it got towards the end of the month (I tend to know when it's time to switch the lenses, even without a calendar, because my eyes seem to get drier).

Having said that, because of the lenses I wear, I have to go to tests once a year, where they check that my eyes are still happy with wearing them (they've been on the market about 13 years, but that's still considered 'experimental'). I just had this year's check-up last week, and everything's fine. They know what I do for a living, and I think if you're at all worried, talking it through with a professional would be the way to go, as you say

Hope that helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(ring top mandrels, nuts, & beads *****
for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-06-04, 11:55pm
beads....mmmm

Hi Rodger,

I wear my contacts all the time for torching. My eye doctor knows and all is well. Good luck!

::
Old 2011-06-05, 12:23am
Newb boro fanatic

Cool, I'll definitely look into it (haha, get it ) more then!

Old 2011-06-05, 1:20am
Beadmaking.nl

I have lenses I wear at night when I am asleep. When I wake up I do them out and I can see all day sharp. I love them!

Old 2011-06-05, 5:14am
Ambivitreous

I use the "extended wear" lenses as well. Sleep in them, torch in them. No problems.

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2011-06-16, 8:21pm
Dances With Fire

wow...this is my one stop for all the answers

alas...i am getting old and i think i need contacts now i know

thank you

c

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2011-06-17, 8:34am

I went into contacts last year because of torching and the need to wear bifocals.

Eye doctor knows and understands and fully supports ... prescription glasses, sometimes magnifiers and then didy's/boro lenses ... three pairs is two pairs too many!!

I love it. My contacts even have UV protection in them as well so it is a double bonus!!

I have the full month multi-focals but have never worn them for more than 10 hours at shot. But I wear them every chance I get when I know I'm going to torch!!

I'd love to have prescrip didy/boro shades but my up close vision is still shifting every year so financially it doesn't make sense.

Old 2011-06-17, 9:57pm
needs creative tagline

gas perms here. No problems so far other than sometimes forgetting to blink when torching Last eye doc and I had in depth discussions on it and he went out and did some research, talked to colleagues, etc and couldn't find anything that concerned him so long as also wearing appropriate protective glasses.

laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...