Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-05-02, 8:01pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Does the ventilation system in your studio vent the air out anywhere near the garage door? Our studio vents are near the front door so we cannot leave the door open while torching because the vented air comes back in. We have our return air vents next to our torches and it comes in from the other side of the building. Also, I have to be careful not to use glass that is heavy in lead. I torched with a frit called lead white one night and felt much like you described!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deb
Old 2010-05-03, 9:05am

I had these same symptoms and I had very good ventilation.

I thought about how close I sat to the torch to work fine detailed pieces.

I put up a shield in front of my face. This way I do not breathe the air from the torch but the air behind me....

I also have a false front on the hood. I have make up air piped into the front of my ventilation hood to give me a curtain of air on my face.
Here are some pictures to help explain.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-05-03, 1:17pm

This does not sound like heavy metal issues. It only happens while torching, heavy metal poisoning would be constant. It does not sound like entrained fumes, it has happened in multiple locations. If it is a carbon monoxide issue, a pulse ox will tell you nothing. CO reads in a pulse ox in the same way that oxygen does. You will not see a decrease in the reading with someone who has carbon monoxide poisoning. Placing the CO detector on the hood won't tell you much. CO is heavier than air.
Old 2010-05-03, 3:49pm

The N0x by-products from the combusted fuel are as, or prerhaps more problematic than the CO products. Dasi's curtain of air at the false front of her hood is an interesting idea, and one would hope that the bench shield also helps keep the spent combustion fumes away from the face.

Linda
Old 2010-05-04, 3:01pm

What you can't see in there is a screen in that opening to keep the air from blowing strong and distributes it to the whole area.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-06-09, 6:16pm

I'm looking for a real ventilation situation now (I've been in my home studio about 1.5 years now and I what I have ain't working) and Heather, I'm totally jealous of your exhaust with the fresh air coming down in front onto your face. Where did you get that hood? I want one!

martha
Old 2011-08-23, 3:40am

@ Almost Gothic:
Just came across this thread and I'm wondering how things are now.
Did you ever find the cause of your symptoms?

Old 2011-09-06, 10:07pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I think it was a funky ventilation issue. I never figured out why. We moved almost a year ago and now I have an industrial strength floor fan that is placed on a stool in front of my torch table and I find if I have it on anything other than low, it almost sucks out the torch flame. No troubles anymore!

Old 2011-09-06, 11:18pm

Good! I'm glad to read that!
Happy torching!