Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2009-12-02, 4:00pm
Glassaholic

Default I just spoke with Mike Frantz...I'm exhausted (I think)!

So I ordered 36 pounds of glass from Frantz Glass, and three pounds of it was Vetrofond (three different greens). I got the glass and found that about a third of the green rods had little rocks throughout them and I thought I should let Frantz know. Who picks up the phone but Mike, the "big guy" himself. I start to tell Mike about the little rocks in my glass an find myself winding and twisting down a little "glass path" with Mike telling me all about the manufacture of machine made glass rods vs. hand pulled rods, quality control at the factories, shipping from mainland Venice vs. shipping from Murano (they have to load on to little boats, 30 boxes at a time). My "travels" with Mike this afternoon led me on a verbal tour through the warehouse at Frantz (did I mention the 200,000 lbs. of glass they have in stock?), and we talked about his 16 employees one of whom left to sell real estate, then came back to work for him (but she started him in this business, so he has to take care of these people). Being the self proclaimed workaholic that he so obviously is, he told me that he absolutely loves this business and that one day, he will come to his demise by just slumping over his computer keyboard. We're glad that you will stay there until that day Mike, so you can keep supplying all of us with what we need to feed our collective habit. The conversation went down the "Pat" path, who Mike says is his wife "sometimes" and he vowed to tell her that my call was the fourth call just today saying that she should change her "screaming avatar", then he told me that I said a word that only someone from Boston would say, but he couldn't tell me which word, but swore that someone who works for him (originally from Boston) says that word too. The conversation took a little turn down the path of how Mike decides on what is to go on sale and what little "giveaways" he is going to offer (very well thought out)...he wakes up in the morning and says, "I think I'm going to..." Forty five minutes after Mike starts leading me down this path, he says, "Hey, you should come to work here"! Then, he tells me that he has to go into a meeting, so he has to hang up, but first he makes me promise that I will post on LE about our conversation (and makes me swear that I will use spell check first). Duh...OK Mike! (And you thought I wasn't listening). So why did I call Frantz anyway??? Was there maybe something about little rocks in my glass??? My head is spinning and I think I need an aspirin! Seriously, this guy is a trip! This is the first time I have ever spoken to him and could not stop laughing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-12-02, 4:16pm
No longer a Member

NEVER a dull moment with Mikey in our lives!!!!!!
Blessed to know him!
Old 2009-12-02, 4:29pm

Feeling a little ADD about now? It's a hoot to try to keep up with that type of conversation! I'm glad that Mike, Pat and the Frantz pack are part of this forum. Keeps things interesting and entertaining. And all that glass right in front of our faces!

Old 2009-12-02, 4:31pm

I'm guessing you either said something about the "elastics" used to wrap the glass or that you work in the "cellar"... Well, or you said something was "wicked"...
Old 2009-12-02, 4:46pm
Glassaholic

Quote:
Feeling a little ADD about now? It's a hoot to try to keep up with that type of conversation! I'm glad that Mike, Pat and the Frantz pack are part of this forum. Keeps things interesting and entertaining. And all that glass right in front of our faces!
Totally ADD! Forget the aspirin... I think I need a drink!

Ann

Old 2009-12-02, 4:48pm
Disconnected

Quote:
I'm guessing you either said something about the "elastics" used to wrap the glass or that you work in the "cellar"... Well, or you said something was "wicked"...
Or you said you couldn't remember where you pah' your cah'

Old 2009-12-02, 4:51pm
Glassaholic

Quote:
Don't think I mentioned the "elastics", but I'm pretty sure I told him I work in the "basement". Don't think I said anything was "wicked", but I may have mentioned riding in my "caaah"!

Ann

Old 2009-12-02, 4:54pm
Glassaholic

Quote:
Or you said you couldn't remember where you pah' your cah'
I always paahk in the paahkin' lot...don't you?

Ann

Last edited by Ann Conlin; 2009-12-02 at 4:59pm.
Old 2009-12-02, 5:46pm

Having talked to Mike myself a few times this sounds about right. Thanks for jogging my memories!

Back in my day, we had nine planets.
Old 2009-12-02, 6:03pm
I'm a lilac!

I had the pleasure of talking with him on the phone a couple of weeks ago, and it was a delight! He is full of entertainment and kept me laughing the whole time.

Old 2009-12-02, 6:16pm

Quote:
Don't think I mentioned the "elastics", but I'm pretty sure I told him I work in the "basement". Don't think I said anything was "wicked", but I may have mentioned riding in my "caaah"!
LOL! Those are the only ones I could think of. I'm guessing you didn't mention "bubblers" or "tonic" or "rotaries".

I lost most of my "boston" a while ago. But DH who's first language is Italian and has never spent more than 2 weeks in the US at a time sometimes pops out a word or two in "boston" and other times he speaks "texas" because his brother lived in Texas for 10 years. I just LOL. It's funny to hear.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-02, 6:40pm

Quote:
So I ordered 36 pounds of glass from Frantz Glass, and three pounds of it was Vetrofond (three different greens). I got the glass and found that about a third of the green rods had little rocks throughout them and I thought I should let Frantz know. Who picks up the phone but Mike, the "big guy" himself. I start to tell Mike about the little rocks in my glass an find myself winding and twisting down a little "glass path" with Mike telling me all about the manufacture of machine made glass rods vs. hand pulled rods, quality control at the factories, shipping from mainland Venice vs. shipping from Murano (they have to load on to little boats, 30 boxes at a time). My "travels" with Mike this afternoon led me on a verbal tour through the warehouse at Frantz (did I mention the 200,000 lbs. of glass they have in stock?), and we talked about his 16 employees one of whom left to sell real estate, then came back to work for him (but she started him in this business, so he has to take care of these people). Being the self proclaimed workaholic that he so obviously is, he told me that he absolutely loves this business and that one day, he will come to his demise by just slumping over his computer keyboard. We're glad that you will stay there until that day Mike, so you can keep supplying all of us with what we need to feed our collective habit. The conversation went down the "Pat" path, who Mike says is his wife "sometimes" and he vowed to tell her that my call was the fourth call just today saying that she should change her "screaming avatar", then he told me that I said a word that only someone from Boston would say, but he couldn't tell me which word, but swore that someone who works for him (originally from Boston) says that word too. The conversation took a little turn down the path of how Mike decides on what is to go on sale and what little "giveaways" he is going to offer (very well thought out)...he wakes up in the morning and says, "I think I'm going to..." Forty five minutes after Mike starts leading me down this path, he says, "Hey, you should come to work here"! Then, he tells me that he has to go into a meeting, so he has to hang up, but first he makes me promise that I will post on LE about our conversation (and makes me swear that I will use spell check first). Duh...OK Mike! (And you thought I wasn't listening). So why did I call Frantz anyway??? Was there maybe something about little rocks in my glass??? My head is spinning and I think I need an aspirin! Seriously, this guy is a trip! This is the first time I have ever spoken to him and could not stop laughing.
Dear Ann, yes I can get side tracked and start talking about everything that was on my mind that I forgot to deal with your problem of rocks in the glass. First of all I do not charge extra for the rocks in the glass rods. If you really do not have a use for them (they make great pendants) just pm me with how much of a credit you would like me to put on your account and it will be done, but better than pm to me, please send an email to Stacey at Frantz Artglass, she takes care of customer service (only works from Mon thru Wednesday) and she will credit you enough to make you smile like a happy cat!

I do take your rocky glass seriously, customer service thru Mikey is a 50/50 "ify" situation......I might not lose my notes and I may lose my notes about our conversation.....and that is if I took notes.

Mikey

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2009-12-02, 6:45pm
Creatrixie

ROTFL...what an adventure!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-12-02, 6:58pm
And silence is golden

I too have enjoyed the personal service from Frantz. I am glad that they keep us informed here of the latest. I love when Pat posts pics of beads using the new glasses. She is such an integral part of the company. Mike is dealing with alot of back pain, so let's all send positive vibes his way. It must be difficult to run the business with a painful back. Hope you get some much needed TLC to get rid of that.
Old 2009-12-02, 7:38pm
Glassaholic

Quote:
Dear Ann, yes I can get side tracked and start talking about everything that was on my mind that I forgot to deal with your problem of rocks in the glass. First of all I do not charge extra for the rocks in the glass rods. If you really do not have a use for them (they make great pendants) just pm me with how much of a credit you would like me to put on your account and it will be done, but better than pm to me, please send an email to Stacey at Frantz Artglass, she takes care of customer service (only works from Mon thru Wednesday) and she will credit you enough to make you smile like a happy cat!

I do take your rocky glass seriously, customer service thru Mikey is a 50/50 "ify" situation......I might not lose my notes and I may lose my notes about our conversation.....and that is if I took notes.

Mikey

Oh Mike, I hope you didn't take notes on our whole conversation. I'm sure we went off on many more tangents than what I reported in my original post! And thank you so much for not charging extra for the rocks...I'll see if I can maybe wire wrap them into something stunning! I understand that customer service might be "ify" thru Mikey. He is obviously a man with much on his mind! Seriously, thanks so much for the personal service! I'll shoot Stacey an e-mail.

Ann

Old 2009-12-02, 7:50pm
Glassaholic

Quote:
I too have enjoyed the personal service from Frantz. I am glad that they keep us informed here of the latest. I love when Pat posts pics of beads using the new glasses. She is such an integral part of the company. Mike is dealing with alot of back pain, so let's all send positive vibes his way. It must be difficult to run the business with a painful back. Hope you get some much needed TLC to get rid of that.
Yes, when I spoke with Mike I did tell him about how envious I am of Pat that she has access to all this great glass. Mike did say that I, too, could have all that glass! LOL I like seeing all the new stuff too. I did not know about his back pain. That's the worst! I hope the positive vibes can work out the pain.

Ann

Old 2009-12-02, 8:23pm
Lampworkaholic!

I like Pat's avatar! Mike and Pat are awesome!

(I'm sucking up so Mike will choose me to work the Frantz trade show booth.)

Seriously Pat and Mike rock - hey there is a movie called Pat and Mike? Tracy and Hepburn - ahh!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-12-02, 9:07pm
It's all about the color.

I had the pleasure of having Pat take my order once. I think we chatted about this and that for almost an hour. At the time I was really impressed that she would take the time to chat with one of their customers like that. I'll always remember that about Frantz. In fact, I'll be ordering my Christmas present from my DH sometime tonight. I hope everybody there has a wonderful holiday season. My thanks for all you do!

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-12-02, 10:14pm

Mike is a treasure. DH and I stopped at Frantz when we were on vacation on the Olympic Peninsula last summer. DH told me to go in and he'd do some work on his Blackberry in the car. An hour later he comes in to "check" on me. I was deep in conversation with Mikey. DH joined in, after I introduced Mike as my "pusher" (and Mike responded by reminding me I'm on of his "glass 'ho's); they found all kinds of techie things to talk about as I drooled over glass. We ended up spending about 3 hours there, and it was great. DH came to understand my glass obsession, made a new friend (as did I), and I have such fond memories of the visit. Plus I had a big bundle of glass to show for it! I wish I lived closer - I'd love to work there. If you're ever anywhere near Western Washington you MUST make a trip there.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-12-02, 10:20pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Ann, thanks for posting this. It takes me down memory lane.....

Well, Mike, I don't expect you to remember us playing Frisbee in the convention hallways at Embellishment in Portland about 7 years ago. I also had the pleasure of sitting next to you at an Italian Restaurant for dinner. They had paper on the tables, and all evening you were drawing on the tables with fun brain teasers, and goofy stuff. You had me entertained all evening. I was exhausted from teaching all day, but you managed to squeeze out the few last drops of energy I had. You were a hoot, and I look forward to meeting you again. (Hint: I was the TA for Kim Osibin and Leah Fairbanks)

Old 2009-12-03, 5:50pm

Default Will Trade Glass For Psychiatric Help

Quote:
I love chatting with Mike. He has so much energy and such a love of the business and of life. Once I visited Frantz and was the only person in the store (it was early), and got him and the staff all to my self for like, an hour. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much! He gets on the intercom and talks to you from his office...lol. Even when no one's there, Mike still runs around like a chicken with its head cut off....I think he must have ADD! But I adore him and his staff - they are all great.
I am glad I am within driving distance.
A.D.D. maybe-maybe not-but probably yes! I once was on the phone with a customer that said I MUST be A.D.D. and she had some good drugs to help me! Yes, she was a doctor. Drugs is the last thing I need! I really would not want to be different! I am happy with who I am (MOST OF THE TIME) and would not change for the world!

I like to share the knowledge I have gathered in many years of selling glass and traveling to the factories that produce glass. I wish I could put everyone in my pocket and take you on a tour of Effetre. But I can not, but I am going back next year and I promise to take a ton of pictures and post on LE while I am there. I have a new laptop computer with everything I need to do it and all I got to do is practice doing it while I am at work and I have over FOUR months to learn how to do it!

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2009-12-03, 6:04pm
Glassaholic

Mike,

Please don't even try to change who you are! Apparently there are an awful lot of people out there who are happy with who you are too!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories...It's nice to know that my conversation with Mike was not just an isolated incident, but business as usual!

Ann

Old 2009-12-03, 6:23pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I taught at Frantz a few years ago (when Mike was out of town doing a show) and I got to spend a bunch of time alone with Pat. She hauled me home and I stayed at their house. She's *such* a nice entertaining babe, knows a heck of a lot about bamboo cultivation, makes great coffee, has the largest cat in existance, and was a heck of a lot of fun to hang out with - even if she does get up at 5am!

*s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2009-12-03, 6:27pm
And silence is golden

5am...ewweeeee!