Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-09-24, 2:00pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Default I have a WWW Site!

Ya it isn't anything special yet but it feels soooooo good to have something. I went with Pappa and one of their templates so I could get it up and running fast. It is going to take a long time to enter all my photos. I have nothing in my store as I still need to iron out a few wrinkles. Now let's see if I entered my link correctly in my signature. I know I will redo it a gazillion times, haha.

Most importantly, I got my show information entered for my local customers.

This should of been done years ago!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions concerning Pappa, so far it has been a dream, amazing support and ease of use!

If you have any criticisms , throw them my way. Seriously, I have only worked on it for half of a day. I just wanted to say

HEADS UP!

Jacqueline

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-09-24, 2:05pm
Growing Edge Glass

Wow...it's gorgeous already!!!! Nice job and your beads are TDF Jacqueline!!!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-09-24, 2:09pm
szglassy

Lookin good so far!
Old 2010-09-24, 2:13pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thanks guys, I really am stumbling in the dark but learning quickly as well. I find it a lot of fun and you can waste hours on this stuff. Oh I just figured out how to widen my template so I updated the front page.

Old 2010-09-24, 2:23pm
Live and Let Live

Wow! I'm impressed with how much you've done in a day and a half! Looks great so far. I'm going to have to check out Pappashop when the time comes too.

Old 2010-09-24, 2:26pm
Jacqueline Parkes

It is a lot of fun but now I remember how much work these things can be.......

Ask me if I have made any beads today........ haha

Old 2010-09-24, 3:25pm
szglassy

Which template did you choose? Did you get the banner package? It almost looks custom
Old 2010-09-24, 3:26pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I used pathways but I am going to mess around with it some once I am more comfortable. I cannot stand the text on my banner.

Old 2010-09-24, 4:34pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Very nice. I like it.

Ebay:
Old 2010-09-24, 4:52pm

WOW ... great job!

This has been on my "to do list" for a LOOOONG time too.

You inspire me to think maybe I can do it

Cheryl

Old 2010-09-24, 5:02pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I just got it yesterday, you can do it!

Old 2010-09-24, 5:03pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I pushed myself because I was tired of saying no when someone asked if I had a www site.

It must of happened at least a dozen times on Wednesday evening.

Old 2010-09-25, 5:46am
I'm not Barbie.

It looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2010-09-25, 5:47am

[quote=gemsinbloom;3216253]I pushed myself because I was tired of saying no when someone asked if I had a www site.

This is exactly the reason that I have been thinking about it.

Cheryl

Old 2010-09-25, 8:27am

Looks great, but there is a lot to do.

I'd start with replacing your email address before the spambots find you.

On your contact page replace this line:
<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Email: gemsinbloom@shaw.ca</span>

With this, which uses a javascript to make your email address hard for the spambots to see:
<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Email:

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
var name = "gemsinbloom";
var domain = "shaw.ca";
document.write('<a href=\"mailto:' + name + '@' + domain + '\">');
document.write(name + '@' + domain + '</a>');
// --></script>

</span>

Steve

Old 2010-09-25, 9:09am
Feminist Killjoy

Looking good Jacqueline! The only thing is, at the top of the browser window (just above where you'd type the web address in) there's normally a site title, but yours says "Add default meta title in your settings area" .. I don't know if you can see that, but I can in Firefox. Other than that, it looks great
Old 2010-09-26, 11:16am

It's beautiful! Your photos are very professional (and the beads are gorgeous) and it just looks like an inviting place to visit. You did a beautiful job! When I was ready for a website I had one of Papashop's designers do mine for me. I admire you for tackling this on your own and doing it so well.

Old 2010-09-26, 11:33am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Nice job!!

Old 2010-09-27, 3:57am
picking Job's Tears

Looks great.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2010-10-12, 8:17am

gemsinbloom: found a slight problem. Your meta tags need a little help.

Meta tags are not displayed to the user, but are VERY USEFUL for non human users of your web site. Examples are search engines and other software. They are one of the more important parts of your web site if you dont want to have to give a link to every one. I.E. you want people to find out on google or yahoo or something.

This is what you have right now
<meta name="description" content="Add description here for search engines"/>
<meta name="keywords" content="lampwork jewelry jewellery focal silver organics Add keywords here for search engines"/>

I would recommend on the description tag changing it from "Add description here..." to something like "gemsinbloom lampwork" or "Gems in bloom"

And for the keywords tag the comma is VERY important. Take out the "
...Add keywords here for search engines" part and place a comma between every unique group of words. Example "lampwork, gems in bloom, glass art" etc.

Also you want to add the author to the page too.

<meta name="author" content="Your Name" />
Old 2010-10-12, 8:35pm

I like it as well. I find your website very inviting, the pictures are just beautiful and so are your beads. Good job.
Old 2010-11-07, 8:28am
Gail

Love your site. I also just setup a website using Pappashop. Your site is beautiful. My site is www.oregonmadejewelry.com. Gail

beadsbythebay.blogspot.com

Old 2010-11-07, 8:42am
Gail

Can you tell me how you go your ESTY on your website? Also I love you website and would like to place it on My Web Links. Do you mind? I love they way you have done your pictures. Do you use Photoshop and gave you give me some pointers? Thank you Gail

beadsbythebay.blogspot.com

Old 2010-11-09, 7:59pm
Katherine

It is a gorgeous site especially for just starting it up. I am so impressed! My only thought would be to tighten up the home page so that one can see more without scrolling down.

Old 2010-11-09, 8:02pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I just looked at yours, wonderful!

Sorry I neglected this thread. There is only a day's work on my www site so there is much to do when I am on my holidays. I will go now to see how to fix the Etsy link thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgakaccinelli View Post
Love your site. I also just setup a website using Pappashop. Your site is beautiful. My site is www.oregonmadejewelry.com. Gail

Old 2010-11-09, 8:05pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay I think I misunderstood initially. Are you asking me how to create a link for your Etsy site? If so, I believe I just copied and pasted the internet address to the page on my www site I want it to show. it becomes a clickable link.

You are more than welcomed to add a link to my www site. I will do the same once I have a page for such things. Yes I use photoshop for my pictures but the real trick I found was just learning your camera and how to use light to your advantage. I am really just winging it with the equipment that I have. No fancy tricks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgakaccinelli View Post
Can you tell me how you go your ESTY on your website? Also I love you website and would like to place it on My Web Links. Do you mind? I love they way you have done your pictures. Do you use Photoshop and gave you give me some pointers? Thank you Gail

Old 2010-11-09, 8:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I used pathways but I am going to mess around with it some once I am more comfortable. I cannot stand the text on my banner.
me too
hehehe