Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2012-04-10, 9:25am

Default Dichroic frit?

Wondering who sells it...Thanks!
Old 2012-04-10, 10:08am

Devardi has some!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-04-10, 10:50am

104? 90? 96?

90 and 96 frit are fairly easy to find. I usually wind up making my own for 104.

You can sit for an hour or so and nip, nip, nip at a small sheet of dicro on clear and make your own frit. Or you can heat your piece in a kiln (or even on the stove unit - slowly) and quench it in water then smash and nip.

It's not hard to do, and a lot cheaper than buying it. If you do buy your dicro sheet, try to get it on thin clear. You'll get more coated glass that way.

Barbara
Old 2012-04-10, 11:42am

Thanks for the quick answers! I'm looking for the kind that comes on the copper sheet in 104.
Old 2012-04-10, 12:01pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Thanks for the quick answers! I'm looking for the kind that comes on the copper sheet in 104.
I think Howaco has that, but I don't recall if there was a price posted for it the last time I looked. I'll check it now and if there is no price, I'll PM her to ask her to fix it.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never mind! The price shows up in the cart. lol!
Old 2012-04-10, 4:14pm

Thanks Lisi!
Old 2012-04-10, 4:30pm

The copper sheet method doesn't involve any glass, so it spans all the COE's.

It will work with boro, bottle (86), Bullseye (90), Reichenbach/Spectrum (96) and all 104's.

Barbara
Old 2012-04-11, 6:54pm

Default Dichroic Frit

The copper sheets with the dichroic are great. But you need to be aware that while the copper sheet is entirely covered with dichroic on one side, it does flake off and some sheets we have sold have been returned because the customer was unhappy, but the reality is that it works just fine and with any coe glass.

If you were to find some dichroic scrap you can grind it up, but then you have dichroic up and some dichroic down which might work just fine, just depends on what look you want.

We do not sell frit, but we do get an abundance of small pieces when slicing dichroic which work well when applied to a gather one piece over another and then pulled into a lovely dichroic stringer.

Perhaps they belong in the Frantz Fun House?

Mike Frantz

Frantz Art Glass Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2012-04-16, 10:51pm

Quote:
T
We do not sell frit, but we do get an abundance of small pieces when slicing dichroic which work well when applied to a gather one piece over another and then pulled into a lovely dichroic stringer.

Perhaps they belong in the Frantz Fun House?

Mike Frantz
Yes.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-04-19, 8:31am

Interesting thing about those copper sheets. Though, the coating does flake off, like Mike said, you can still use that flaked off coating. Just set it back on the copper, and it rolls up all the same. I've made great boro marbles with it, but it requires some delicate encasing work. Appears almost like foil in the glass. You must immediately encase in clear after the roll up, though. It can tend to burn out easily. This is why it's best application is in hot shop. Being able to dip, roll, and then dip again to encase, gives it the best chance of staying safe. Just see Don McKinney's work, he is the man.

Old 2012-04-26, 6:36am

Yes Mike, please put your dichro scraps up!