Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-02, 9:41am
...displaced ocean lover

Talking

Melody, you're too funny!

I got mine yesterday, too.... but was getting ready for my dad who was arriving last night. (Day one of 93 year old toddler here for Christmas)
Seriously? Now they are on SALE?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-12-02, 2:38pm

Good on you and the play day with your new preses. I'm still struggling with the skull re: glass amount needed. Did you load to do the frnt of the skull first then work on the back? I have the flat back press I'll have to revisit it soon.
I noticed the sale she was having yesterday gotta hurry to get order in before they leave for holiday. I wish I had not looked-
Old 2012-12-02, 2:40pm

Awww Roo so nice you still have your father....maybe at naptime you can sneek out to the torch
Old 2012-12-02, 3:23pm
Melody of Glass

I looked at the sale but luckily there was nothing I couldn't live without. Hard to justify after just spending so much on presses. Good thing I still can't get to Bead Press' site!

I had to fit and press the skull upwards of 10 times. I add glass, press, repeat ad nauseam. I started with a barrel about the size of the jaw portion and then started adding glass from there. Once it started to take shape, it was easier to add the glass only on the bottom. It did take me a while but it looks fantastic with the glow-in-the-dark frit! I think he'll love it.

A trick I read somewhere (BB? Zoozii?) is to always add the glass to the top or bottom - never to the sides near the edges even if that's where it looks like it needs it. It then gets pressed out into all the right places. My success rate went up after I started doing that.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-02, 5:19pm

Beadpress website adress did change. It isn't .nl but www.beadpress.com, for the ones that need to get rid of there money.
I'm not related to maria louise in any way, but got a mail a few days ago that the site was up and running.

Visit my Etsy:

Visit My ebay:

Last edited by Daphnevz; 2012-12-02 at 5:21pm. Reason: Adding text
Old 2012-12-02, 5:42pm
Melody of Glass

Uh oh.....it's working for me now. Thanks for the link! If this is damaging to my credit card in any way, I'm blaming you Daphne!! ;p

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-02, 5:55pm
Melody of Glass

Happy to report that I came out of that unscathed.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-02, 7:22pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
Happy to report that I came out of that unscathed.

Old 2012-12-03, 10:59am

Thanks for the info on the skull press...may get to play with it soon I hope.
Old 2012-12-04, 1:37pm
...displaced ocean lover

Yes, I agree...Daphne's fault!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-12-04, 2:15pm

I received my heart presses from Bavarian Beads today. They are beautiful. Haven't used them yet but will really soon.

I do want to offer a hint to everyone who wants a change made to their press. And PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS TOTALLY MY FAULT AND A LEARNING OPPORTUNITY FOR ME, IT IS NOT BAVARIAN BEAD'S FAULT. That said, if you want a change made to your press, might I suggest going to Google Tranlate and write what you want in German or the language of the person you are dealing with. I did not think of this earlier. But I did send her a Thank You in her language. At least if Google Translate did it correctly. She may write me back and say the message made no sense. LOL

Just a thought!!!
Old 2012-12-04, 5:18pm

Visit my Etsy:

Visit My ebay:
Old 2012-12-07, 3:40pm
...displaced ocean lover

No Daphne...I LOVE you for posting the address! It's just the puffy-ness I was looking for in a heart!!!

And I agree that putting my comments/wishes in German may have helped but if it wasn't understood, perhaps she could have said so using her own Google translate. Just sayin'. That being said, I still love the presses!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-12-07, 4:38pm

@ roo. I can take a joke.
As for google translate if it is translating german the same way as it is translating dutch as seen in some websites its mostly hilarious to read. Understandable but hilarious. I think though that bavarian beads ( the person behind it ) speaks english. I recall communicating with hear in english ,. But i'm not sure because i speak german as well. But not as easily as i do english.
Now i like to see some pictures made with the new presses.

Visit my Etsy:

Visit My ebay:
Old 2012-12-13, 12:09pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphnevz View Post
Now i like to see some pictures made with the new presses.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-12-15, 8:22am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
Me too!
quiet you....

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-12-15, 2:04pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
quiet you....

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-12-16, 7:05am
Most have those beadies

Thank you so much for liking my heartpresses.
If you want i can post some heart beads made with them, maybe it's easier to see the exact shapes than.
Meri, i hope you love the presses you bought. Thank you for leading me to this thread.

There were some problems with the provider who was hosting my website,
It's changed now and thanks to Miriam my webshop looks better than ever.

About adjusting the heartpresses, it's no problem to so both horizontal as vertical mandrels into the same press if you prefer this.

my
my

my
my

Last edited by Maria Louisa; 2012-12-16 at 7:14am.
Old 2013-02-04, 11:09am
...displaced ocean lover

Default Here are my hearts!

These are from my Bavarian Press.

I'll be making the puffy hearts this week and will post them next!

Attached Images

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2013-02-04, 1:23pm

Very pretty Roo, thanks for sharing they take alot of glass don't they?
Old 2013-02-04, 5:48pm

Very Nice hearts!! I love them , Roo.
Job well done.
Janet
Old 2013-02-04, 6:07pm
Melody of Glass

Great hearts, Roo! I have been using my heart press and bone press (that this thread convinced me I needed) a bit and the ammonite press a lot. I love it!
Attached Images

Coming soon...

Old 2013-02-05, 3:01pm
...displaced ocean lover

Thanks Ladies! Thanks a bunch!

Lois I guess they do take quite a bit but not as much as the puffy ones.
Well, maybe it's not that different b/c the puffy ones are a little bit smaller. Next time I will start w/a full rod for each, then I will know EXACTLY how much each of them takes.

Those ammonites are really cool, Melody. Did it take a while to get the hang of that shape?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2013-02-05, 5:12pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks Roo. It didn't really take too many tries. The only tricky part is the outside end of the spiral but overall I find it easier than the hearts and the bones. I find those trickier because you have to get glass above the part of the piece that touches the mandrel (the lobes of the heart or the ends of the bone) if that makes sense. Those are trickier and take more building up.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-02-05, 9:11pm
...displaced ocean lover

YEAH.... it's weird - I always have to build up the left side. The right side seems to always kinda fit. But I add glass to the left side 2 or 3 times.
Strange.

Now the cross. FUHGEDDABOUDDDIT! Jeeze it takes forever. I've made two.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2013-10-05, 7:38am
Jacqueline Parkes

I was revisiting this thread and noticed I missed your helpful post. Thank you for sharing the red colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
Christmas red is lovely but my favorite is Radiant Red. It's just fabulous!!

1 x moldin press "Bavarian Heart M real 3D"NEW!
- dowel pins: with $63.55
1 x moldin press "Bavarian 3D Cross"NEW! $63.55

Kicking myself for not ordering the darn skull!!!!! But I think 63 bucks is realllly high for a press that makes only one shape. That's what's kept me from ordering from them until now. But after searching...I REALLY couldn't find hearts like the ones from Bavarian and BeadPress! And I just hate shaping them by hand. Also, hate shaping crosses by hand. I think this cross press will be super hard to use until I get the hang of it but crosses are my downfall. I can do round beads easier than a decent cross. And I HAAATE doing rounds! (just ask Ginny)

Oh yeah, and I also ordered The Puffy Heart Trio and the Love Triangle (I think!) from Beadpress in Holland. I like that their prices are more in line with what Cattwalk and Zoozii's charge.

Old 2013-10-06, 2:31pm

Has anyone tried the Perlenpresse heart presses?
Old 2013-10-08, 1:40pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbisker View Post
Has anyone tried the Perlenpresse heart presses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I was revisiting this thread and noticed I missed your helpful post. Thank you for sharing the red colors
Oh, you are quite welcome, Jacqueline!

bbisker: I'm not sure but I think we talked about it somewhere. Did you look at all the hearts that Julie blogged about? Karen posted a link on post #19 That is how I decided on the ones I got.

And I realized that I did NOT post any picks of the puffy ones. And I forgot to take many pics which is bad b/c they almost all sold.

I think the puffy ones are great b/c you can encase things inside them. I did a couple w/Nemo's dad, Marlon hopping on jellyfish and Mount Wanna-Hock-a-Loogie. LOL

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Tags
heart presses, hearts